Jimmy Eat World - Sure & Certain (New Song)

Lakeler_182

16 hours ago, Ghost said:

I'm surprised with this record. They have gone darker. It's not a catchy album, you have to dig with patience. I like that.

well thats a stretch. most of the songs have a hook chorus, I see what you're saying though.

I've listened to it a bit more and I'm not sold on it but it has its moments. I think the first half of the record is a lot stronger than the second half, though. I get a bit 'eh' after Pass The Baby. 

It's weird because I'm not big on the songs themselves but I love the instrumentation, harmonies, and production on this record quite a bit. I'm hoping I'll be sold on the songs over time, but I'll be listening for it purely musically for a little while.

I liked this album, its not Futures good, or even Chase This Light good, but all in all, I did enjoy it from start to finish.  Hate to say it, but I think at this point it is fair to say, the band is probably past its prime, I don't think they'll ever make an album as good as Futures, Bleed American, or especially Clarity again.  But thats ok, this is still a good album for what it is.

Sadly, I don't think Jimmy Eat World will ever write another darker / heavier album that will sound anything remotely close to Bleed American or Futures but you what!? I'm seriously OK with that! It's just like how Blink will never produce another self-titled/untitled record. If you leave those expectations at the door, it's actually a very enjoyable, deep album if you are in the right mood.

I wasn't keen on Sure and Certain but after numerous listens, I can honestly say it's now one of my favourites on there. You  Are Fee, Pass The Baby and Through are my favourites on the album but I do have to agree with Kay - The last two tracks kind of fizzle out but overall, I think it's their best work since Chase This Light. 

They are a solid live band, to be fair. I saw them in Bristol not long after Chase This Light came out, still one of the best shows I've been to. Sweetness almost killed me. 

Finally bought this album the other day at Walmat while looking for an NES Classic Edition (unsuccessfully, obviously). Been listening to it in my car a lot for the past few days and I really like it. It's one of those albums that I really enjoy listening to start-to-finish, but I'm not sure how much I'd love listening to these songs on their own. It's good though, I'm listening to it right now! Always makes me happy to get new Jimmy Eat World music.

• 3 weeks later...

Still listening to this pretty regularly, at least when I'm driving because I have the CD in my car right now. I definitely like it better than their past couple releases. It's not amazing, but it's good, and I'm enjoying it for sure. The End Is Beautiful is one of my favorite songs right now, and I also really love You With Me, and Sure And Certain.