Brand New's Brand New Record

Kay

I don't know how to feel about this band anymore. Occasionally I can still listen to them. I love certain songs too much to just completely forget about them. But, most of the time, it feels weird listening to this band now. I just started getting into BN in the past couple years. I kind of wish I never would have...

Okay, I don't know anything anymore now. The other day I talked about how I thought I felt towards their first two albums but I listened to YFW on my way to work yesterday and then to Deja Entendu this morning and I still love those two albums to death. So this means I have spent the last few months just overthinking about the entire Jesse situation? l417_f-maxage-0.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tom18222 said:

i still listen to them all the time...i don't really see what the huge deal is it's not like he drugged and raped a girl

It's just a personal choice for me. The predator-like vibes the music/lyrics gives are why I don't really want to listen anymore. Him lamenting he did these horrible things just sounds pathetic when you think about the amount of random jailbait or teenage girls they probably are in reference to. Compound that with his holier then thou "is that what you call tact" bullshit, it's just a big turn-off in the grand scheme of things.

He writes about his childishness and bravado moving into him becoming a monster trying to find redemption, with Deja/DAG being the height of the monster and Science Fiction seeming to be the point at which he begins to find the light. I've always said that it's narrative in terms of specific content, but his attitudes and self-image are apparent. This wasn't shocking to me, and a lot of the time, being a shitty person is ACTUALLY shitty.

I don't listen to the music in a way that earns the band money for my listens, and for a while I couldn't deal with listening to it, but I've started to again. It's just so freaking good. I listened to Degausser first, and I cried. I really, selfishly and horribly, hate that this happened.

It's so dramatic, but they were so important for such a long time. Overrated and idolized as they are.

• Like 2

It's weird how after all that shit that Steve from NFG was accused of I never had any problem continuing listening to NFG. And Steve was apparently the main lyricist. I dunno. I haven't completely stopped listening to Brand New and I probably won't ever. As time passes it will probably get easier to listen to again.

Yeah, very gross.

I truly don't think Jesse Lacey would ever show his face on a stage again. He's always been very private and you know if they play a show there will be people shouting out comments regarding the situation, possibly throwing things at him, who knows what else. I can't imagine them ever playing another show. 

all of this is creepy, and all things i would never do, but i don't agree with essentially allowing it to happen and then coming out with it 10 years later solely with the intent to trash the guy. nobody forced her to video chat with the guy. if she didn't like it at the time she wouldn't have done it.

14 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Yeah because people only ever do stuff that they like.

that's not what i'm saying. what i'm saying his now she says all of these things, but her actions proved otherwise.

if somebody makes me uncomfortable, i don't care who you are i'm not going to continue contact with them.

8 hours ago, tom18222 said:

that's not what i'm saying. what i'm saying his now she says all of these things, but her actions proved otherwise.

if somebody makes me uncomfortable, i don't care who you are i'm not going to continue contact with them.

Wtf.

SHE WAS 16 YEAR OLD. He was in a position of power. He used the leverage of his band and her vulnerability in trying to do her job properly for sexual favours. Are you kidding me? 

You speak as if 16-18 year old girls that are meeting their idols, in the course of their young career, are supposed to be objectively reasonable, assertive, and know how the properly defend themselves. 

You're an idiot. You don't understand context at all. You don't understand power relations and vulnerability at all. Hell, you don't even understand how puberty and adolescence works, which leads me to believe that you are a 13 year old prepubescent boy. 

• Like 2

i never said anything about her age or whether anything he did was right or wrong, all i said was that she acknowledged that she knew at the time that it was not right, and continued to go along with it anyways.  not really sure how that makes me an idiot, but i've been called worse before.