Brand New's Brand New Record

Kay

I LIKE the Devil and God, but it's like the typical blink setlist for me, I get it now. They play all the DAG songs I care about, and I want to hear more of Deja and YFW (unpopular opinion) and they never throw in enough variety. Kind of annoying to go on what could be a final tour on DAG, full of slow jams. I want to freak out to Brand New, not bob my head and sway a little. Shit, guys. FUCK.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ungroovy said:

I LIKE the Devil and God, but it's like the typical blink setlist for me, I get it now. They play all the DAG songs I care about, and I want to hear more of Deja and YFW (unpopular opinion) and they never throw in enough variety. Kind of annoying to go on what could be a final tour on DAG, full of slow jams. I want to freak out to Brand New, not bob my head and sway a little. Shit, guys. FUCK.

Deja will always be my fave, when I first saw them they played like half of YFW, all of Deja and a giant chunk of Devil & God. one of the support acts pulled out and they played for like 2 and a half hours or something mental, it was amazing. still probably the best show I've seen. I don't have much interest in watching Devil & God back to back. there's a lot of good tracks but the album as a whole doesn't grab me like their previous work. 

It's so typical though, isn't it? so unbelievably obviously Brand New. 

They've always been a wee bit pretentious. I think it's what some people like about them, I've always found it to be an obnoxious side effect. 

I really like I Am A Nightmare, though. it's better then anything on Daisy and I still want a record version of Sealed To Me which clearly is never going to happen now.

I was in HMV the other day and someone had thrown a track from Daisy on the sound system. I went to pay for something and asked her if it was Brand New. she was like 18 or something, she beamed at me and was like "Yes, it is!" and then smirked at her colleague and said "I told you!" (I think he told her that no one would appreciate her music choice or something) and I went 'This is from Daisy, right?' and she said "Yup!" and I said "Yes, I can tell, because it's awful. their worst record by miles" and I grinned, her face fell and her colleague laughed really hard and I left.

felt like such a dick but couldn't resist. 

They usually play a lot of songs from that album already, so it's not like a big change. I'd like to hear more stuffs from YFW but those days are dead and gone.. They don't even play Jude Law or Seventy times 7, you're lucky if you get Mix Tape or Soco. But I will always love Brand New, I need to see them just one last time before they split up.

I love, love, love Brand New and I'm actually relieved they take this next release to be the end all be all. I think Daisy is great, but their first three are basically masterpieces to me. Love every song, etc. Heck I even loved I Am a Nightmare. So I'm content on them doing basically their strongest work. It's a little boring yes, but I'm hoping for a killer show in November. It'll be the 3rd time I've seen them and I've pretty much heard every song I've wanted (realistically).

By the next time they tour I'm sure they'll be playing that new record in heavy doses.

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

I love, love, love Brand New and I'm actually relieved they take this next release to be the end all be all. I think Daisy is great, but their first three are basically masterpieces to me. Love every song, etc. Heck I even loved I Am a Nightmare. So I'm content on them doing basically their strongest work. It's a little boring yes, but I'm hoping for a killer show in November. It'll be the 3rd time I've seen them and I've pretty much heard every song I've wanted (realistically).

By the next time they tour I'm sure they'll be playing that new record in heavy doses.

I've only seen them twice, but both times they played seventy times seven. it was only way later I found out that that was super rare, so I'm not going to ruin that streak haha, don't think they're coming back over here anyway. 

I can see them doing a European tour at some point right?

I think the only somewhat rare thing I've heard is No Seatbelt Song. The rest have been TDAGARIM heavy. I did see Jesse Lacey acoustic and he did a lot of covers and Moshi Moshi.

7 hours ago, Elisa said:

They usually play a lot of songs from that album already, so it's not like a big change. I'd like to hear more stuffs from YFW but those days are dead and gone.. They don't even play Jude Law or Seventy times 7, you're lucky if you get Mix Tape or Soco. But I will always love Brand New, I need to see them just one last time before they split up.

That's the point. When you've seen them three times and they've played 6 slow jams from DAG and zero YFW and maybe a couple Deja songs, with 4 Daisy tracks you start to want more from the experience. Instead, they just doubled down on DAG. It's not a big change, that's why I'm annoyed with it. It's still my favorite band, but I'm over DAG live.

At least Modern Baseball won't disappoint.

Do they really not play YFW songs live?? I've never seen them, but that's my favorite Brand New album by a longshot. I would have seen them on this upcoming tour if I wasn't already going to another concert on the same night Brand New is playing. I guess I'm slightly less bummed about missing it now. Still would have loved to go, but whatever.

That's a huge bummer. I wasn't aware. So many bands completely ignore their early music live and I hate it. I'm not saying bands should play mostly old songs, but there should be a good mix of everything. I'm annoyed that blink never plays anything from Cheshire Cat or Dude Ranch OR Neighborhoods/DED. c'mon guys.

3 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

That's a huge bummer. I wasn't aware. So many bands completely ignore their early music live and I hate it. I'm not saying bands should play mostly old songs, but there should be a good mix of everything. I'm annoyed that blink never plays anything from Cheshire Cat or Dude Ranch OR Neighborhoods/DED. c'mon guys.

Agreed, so frustrating that they waste so much of their discography. So much potential for better shows.

A band that always really impressed me with their balanced setlists was Rise Against. I saw them 3 or 4 times live and every time it was completely different, with a healthy balance of songs from every record. 

• Like 1

Every time I see this topic title on my feed I feel sad. This has bummed me out way more than I thought it would, like I expected them to fuck off with the album, honestly, but for them to tour on this album, for what could easily be their last tour since they've now been on two major tours this year, fuck man. I missed the best days.

The first time I saw them, they played a decent half of YFW, like Jude Law, Seventy Times Seven, Magazines, Failure By Design... Jesse brought out an acoustic and did Soco Amaretto... that was 2006, though. the more I hear the more I'm glad I saw them when I did. if I saw them now and it was mostly Devil and God I'd be horrendously disappointed. although in fairness thats more along the lines of the second time I saw them, but the second time I saw them was also possibly one of the worst gigs I've seen. Jesse was slurring into the microphone and had zero stage presence, it was very much a "doesn't look like he wants to be there" moment, it was a real muted atmosphere.