Brand New's Brand New Record

Kay

On 9/5/2017 at 9:44 AM, Mau5 said:

Enjoyed it - understand the modest mouse comparisons but I still think this is classic Brand New. Much better than Daisy IMO. 

I love Daisy though. Those songs kick ass live, easily the best live songs in the set. So much damn energy. It's a shame most Brand New "fans" don't even know Daisy exists I was the only one singing along in the crowd and I was with a bunch of supposedly hardcore Brand New fans lol

Oh I'm sure they know it exists, they just didn't listen to it more than once or twice because it's fucking dreadful. I adore most of Brand New's music but Daisy is the most pretentious wank stain noise of a record I've ever encountered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boring.........Alright said:

I love Daisy though. Those songs kick ass live, easily the best live songs in the set. So much damn energy. It's a shame most Brand New "fans" don't even know Daisy exists I was the only one singing along in the crowd and I was with a bunch of supposedly hardcore Brand New fans lol

We know all about it. It's just unlistenable garbage, with the exception of Bought A Bride and At The Bottom. 

18 hours ago, Broken English said:

We know all about it. It's just unlistenable garbage, with the exception of Bought A Bride and At The Bottom. 

Wasn't referring to you specifically, I know a lot of people who are unaware of Daisys existence. To each their own Vices, Sink, Gasoline are kick ass in particular 

Every Brand New fan knows Daisy exists, and I think a lot more people who are NOT Brand New fans really like Daisy. I don't listen to Brand New for a sound like Daisy had, but people who don't like alternative/emo prefer Daisy to the rest. Honestly I don't think I've ever picked out that album for what I feel like listening to, but I'll listen to the bigger songs when they come on Spotify radio or something.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This album is slightly better than I originally gave it credit for, and maybe if they'd released this instead of Daisy then I would probably love it. But they didn't, and for me, it's a pretty beige attempt at the hype that surrounded the release, and really isn't worth an eight year wait.

I think a big part of my indifference to the album is just that I got over the pretentious mysterious wank-act they carry on with. 

4 minutes ago, Broken English said:

This album is slightly better than I originally gave it credit for, and maybe if they'd released this instead of Daisy then I would probably love it. But they didn't, and for me, it's a pretty beige attempt at the hype that surrounded the release, and really isn't worth an eight year wait.

I think a big part of my indifference to the album is just that I got over the pretentious mysterious wank-act they carry on with. 

I'm not fond of that either but when the music backs it up I won't complain.

I'm still listening to this record and think it's stellar. I just think the end is weak, the last 3 tracks I can take or leave. basically all of the rest (Bar Out Of Mana) I adore. 

20 hours ago, Kay said:

I'm not fond of that either but when the music backs it up I won't complain.

I'm still listening to this record and think it's stellar. I just think the end is weak, the last 3 tracks I can take or leave. basically all of the rest (Bar Out Of Mana) I adore. 

Don't get me wrong, I can see how people would like it, and as I said, in 2009 I probably would have loved it. 

I just think it's been far too long between decent releases for them, and I moved on. Their constant pretentious games with the "will they, won't they" record release just got old. I'm just a cynical old fuck now hahaha. 

14 minutes ago, Broken English said:

Don't get me wrong, I can see how people would like it, and as I said, in 2009 I probably would have loved it. 

I just think it's been far too long between decent releases for them, and I moved on. Their constant pretentious games with the "will they, won't they" record release just got old. I'm just a cynical old fuck now hahaha. 

no I get that, and I hated Daisy so I wasn't 'amused' by it and I still find the way they do things to be pretentious as hell but the record itself to me is solid so I'll just ignore their actions haha

• 3 weeks later...