AFI - Blood (New Album)

radioactive tomdog

That's cool Kevin, thanks a lot! Yesterday I was panicking but now I came up with a bunch of good questions. That one about Crash Love is very interesting, and I'd like to hear what he thinks about that but I don't want to sound disrespectful, maybe I shouldn't point out that it might be their worst record haha

I'm definitely going to add your first question to the one I was thinking about the writing process and it would be cool (for us) to know what he thinks about Jerry Finn. 

I think a big reason why Crash Love didn't do well is because it didn't have Fuse, Alternative Press, or MTV backing it like their previous two had. Those were big institutions for them back in the day and by 2009, that shit had dissolved.

I have mixed feelings about AFI after Sing the Sorrow.
They will always be one of my favorite bands though because they still have songs that hit hard.

I like the entirety of sing the sorrow, I think the whole thing is a masterpiece. Its my second favorite album after Self Titled tied with box car racer.
After that though I typically only really like about 50% of the songs on their albums. I just can't get behind some of their melodic choices on some of their newer stuff and every song I have heard on the new album has it at least some so that sucks...I do think its cool how he is half screaming again in White Offerings. He has a great voice.

I would probably say "Veronica Sawyer Smokes" is the best thing they have released since Sing the Sorrow, I typically like their more Cure sounding stuff after sing the sorrow.
I also really like "heart stops" which I think is another example of this.

I think you guys might like the new album, I have listened to it for the interview (which has been postponed to one of these nights) and there are some good songs, very guitar driven. It's not a big departure from their recent works but there are some good ideas here and there that brought me back to Sing The Sorrow. It's not as bad as I expected. 

On 12/5/2016 at 11:01 AM, _Kyle_ said:

I think a big reason why Crash Love didn't do well is because it didn't have Fuse, Alternative Press, or MTV backing it like their previous two had. Those were big institutions for them back in the day and by 2009, that shit had dissolved.

that certainly played a role in its failure, but the songs just aren't very good and don't sound like AFI. there's nothing theatrical/gothic about it.

14 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I think you guys might like the new album, I have listened to it for the interview (which has been postponed to one of these nights) and there are some good songs, very guitar driven. It's not a big departure from their recent works but there are some good ideas here and there that brought me back to Sing The Sorrow. It's not as bad as I expected. 

i think it'll leak soon. i enjoyed burials a lot, so if it's a mix of that and sing the sorrow i will be happy 

• 4 weeks later...

this leaked. i give it a 9/10

its less like Sing the Sorrow than i expected (not totally shocked, though). this is yet again another new sound. as already mentioned, very guitar driven. i don't think jade has written riffs this awesome in like...13 years? i'd put this on par with Deftones' latest album. not sound wise, but its sort of a re-invention for the band that totally works

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He kept postponing the interview but we finally made it. It went well and he was also very kind, I didn't expect that, even though he didn't talk much and his answers were kinda short/monosyllabic. I'm used to musicians that talks all the time and they spent like 5 minutes on a single question but I've been listening to AFI since I was 15 so it was great to talk to him. What a nice guy! 

He didn't want to talk about how the band has changed through the years so I didn't ask anything about it but his answer to the question about the writing process between him and Jade was interesting.

As for Jerry Finn, he said that the relationship with him was wonderful. As soon as they met him, they immediately clicked because he had that typical and friendly southern California attitude. He also said that Jerry Finn was the perfect producer because he was like a silent presence in the room, he let them do all they felt they needed to do and that all the songs had to be already there before he could make any suggestions in order to capture the best feeling about them. (And that made me think about all the things we say about Feldmann's wrong approach to California haha)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, finally... finally got round to listening to this and there's some very good stuff on there! I didn't really like either of the first two singles but they really add an extra layer to the record and have grown on me such much. Hidden Knifes and Get Hurt are also personal favs.

Seeing as this has also turned into a Davey/AFI thread - Is it true that he's blacked out both his sleeves?