California Nominated for Best Rock Album

Nasa

8 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Well not exactly. Weezer have made numerous albums alone and with help to various degrees. Pinkerton they even produced themselves and it's now heralded as one of the most brilliant albums of the 90s, not counting how much The Blue Album was their greatest hits up to that point. 90s weezer was pretty independent in terms of songwriting. Now, Weezer's new album was a critical darling compared to the ones that came after (say anything beyond the Green Album to EWBAITE) and they fully used co-writers and collaborators to freshen themselves up (as they have since Hurley I believe). So with Weezer, it's honestly because Rivers Cuomo is bored. He makes new music every year, has other music projects, and even ghost-writes with bands even. He's a music prodigy in some regards. He literally has binders full of songs he has never released that he dismantles, takes apart, and re-arranges to his liking. He can write the greatest vanilla rock song ever. So for him to deviate from his self confessed obsession and controlling tendencies is actually a good idea and works in their favor. 

With blink, it was like taking a handicapped band, and using Feldmann to glue it back together with new parts (Skiba). And with that, they let Feldmann steer the ship. Honestly I think Neighborhoods sounds better than California. That's not a compliment to Neighborhoods, but it's the damn truth. So why does this album sound the way it does? Because Feldmann records in a specific style. I don't think he wrote everything, but his fingerprints are all over it and it made the product suffer in my eyes. If that works for you, whatever, but it's clearly been a shift in that regard. Weezer on the other hand, they can make a new album and just improve the songs and it still sounds like Weezer you know and love. Blink is not like that. They are very influenced by their producers apparently. That's fine, but with California, I don't see it being a plus at all.

Wow, I don't say this often, but great post!

You thought of something perfect that I couldn't have possibly thought up.

I remember hearing now that Rivers had hundreds upon hundreds of songs that he has never released.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Sounds more like blink than anything they've released since 2003 and that is without their lead singer and songwriter. Pretty impressive. 

And that's exactly what blink wanted. To sound like blink again. It's pretty amazing that with a new singer in the band, how well they are doing. It's a bigger comeback than when they all got back together the first time with Tom. 

• Like 2

Just now, JarJarBlinks said:

Neighborhoods = thin, tinny sounding guitars, a shit ton of delay and left-over AVA riffs and Love is Dangerous.

Cali = Thick beefy guitars, a buncha whoa's, and a shit load of Feldy-dust. 

I know what I'm picking. 

Cali - Kings of the Weekend

Neighborhoods could be The Fallen Interlude 12 times and I'd still pick Neighborhoods.

• Like 1

Just now, Blink182acti0n said:

And that's exactly what blink wanted. To sound like blink again. It's pretty amazing that with a new singer in the band, how well they are doing. It's a bigger comeback than when they all got back together the first time with Tom. 

When did blink start sounding like All Time Blow? WHOOOAOOOOAOAOOOOO

This authenticity issue is so weird. Any major band (like blink or weezer) tied to any major record company is likely to sacrifice authenticity for profit. Or popularity (blink). Or making music that they like (Weezer). You'd be hard pressed to find a truly authentic band nowadays. Especially seeing as the two we're talking about have sold millions of albums. 

I personally don't mind a cowriter as long as I like the music. Which is why I'm listening to said music in the first place. Because I like it. Too bad Feldmann sucks as a producer. Not as a person though...I find the insults about his personality and appearance also weird. 

• Like 2

I don't think either California or Neighborhoods are great albums. Both are probably at the bottom of my list when it comes to blink's best work. I do give the edge to Neighborhoods though because it has a bit of variety and more interesting songs. The production on California is a lot better than Neighborhoods but every song sounds so similar to me.

3 minutes ago, Nasa said:

This authenticity issue is so weird. Any major band (like blink or weezer) tied to any major record company is likely to sacrifice authenticity for profit. Or popularity (blink). Or making music that they like (Weezer). You'd be hard pressed to find a truly authentic band nowadays. Especially seeing as the two we're talking about have sold millions of albums. 

I personally don't mind a cowriter as long as I like the music. Which is why I'm listening to said music in the first place. Because I like it. Too bad Feldmann sucks as a producer. Not as a person though...I find the insults about his personality and appearance also weird. 

You're not allowed to express fair and rational opinions in this section. Please stop.

• Like 2

It sucks that Neighborhoods and California are shadows of untitled and enema, imo. Imagine how much better they could have been if they didn't suffer from underproduction/overproduction, respectively. Still prefer Neighborhoods though. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Nasa said:

I can express whatever opinions I want, you saw'd off prick!!

I don't know the guy, but he seems like a controlling arrogant ass.

I am not all comfortable with statements like "I gave them the option of a fast song" like its his decision.

Again, when it comes down to it, I don't like fake shit, and I find it weird as hell that people take issue with that point of view. The idea that I am critical of the situation because I want Blink 182 songs written by Blink 182 is reasonable, and people who think otherwise either have a mental illness of some kind of just like to argue and think I am always wrong.

Bottom line on this: It is a very reasonable opinion that as a Blink 182 fan, I want Blink material written by the people in the fucking band.

You don't have to agree with it, but you should find it reasonable.

The fact that so many don't is fucking oddball and reeks of being a bot, as if we should accept everything they do as gold. How is that different from a tombot? its not.

I honestly couldn't care less whether a person dislikes California because there are too many whoas or they don't like Feldmann's style. Whatever. I disagree with people like Nasa and Laura on this...do you ever see us arguing about it?

Difference is that they can express an opinion without adding in a bunch of bullshit like you and some others do. "feldmann is a sawed off prick" "feldmann wrote the whole album" "he's paying for their success" "he's padding his own wallet manipulating blink" "wahhhhhhhh"

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Bottom line on this: It is a very reasonable opinion that as a Blink 182 fan, I want Blink material written by the people in the fucking band.

The fact that so many don't is fucking oddball and reeks of being a bot, as if we should accept everything they do as gold. How is that different from a tombot? its not.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. I personally think it's reasonable to feel that way. Especially when the guy who says he gave blink the option of a fast song gives them a fast song that's filled with whoas and na na nas, has a guitar with no punch, and sounds squeaky clean and cheap and overly glossy. It irritates me too. Someone who might be that controlling doesn't even make being controlling worth it for the song.

I just think people think you're being nuts because you've repeated it like a million times by now. We all know by now that you hate it. And also because you seem really personally invested in hating Feldmann as a person. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

You don't seem to find it reasonable that people actually like the album. 

• Like 2