California Nominated for Best Rock Album

Nasa

7 minutes ago, Clarke said:

What are people disagreeing with?

People think that performing and songwriting are basically equal in importance.

Songwriting is so easy that Mark Hoppus can churn them out like crazy for years now without any help....man he's been writing them Untitled songs like they no big deal.....

oh shit wait...

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

Playing an Arena, I would think is easier. You literally sound check, let the stage hands take care of it all, walk on, and play. Just so long as you can get over your nerves.

Playing a club, if you are doing your own sound, can be an utter nightmare, it NEVER sounds quite right, one instruments it too high, the other is too low, it is constant work and constant adjustments.

I've played clubs and being your own roadie, sound guy, etc is terrible. I always envy the bands that literally just walk on and play, it is such an easy life really. People have vested interest in building it up to be harder than it is because Blink are your heros and it HAS to be hard, it has to be something that few can do, that is how you hold your "hero status".

But it is not the truth. I am not saying guitar/singing/ performing is easy, and admit that some people have "it" and "it" can't be replicated. But this idea that it is supper hard, is lol, and the evidence bares that out.

just to clear up, i am in a band myself  and have been gigging constantly for the last couple of years in different sized venues, so that's not where they get their Hero Satus from at least for me.... I've never played 5000< crowds so why the fuck should I lecture people about how easy or hard it is to do that. I just don't know......

Being a a great performer doesn't only require skill on your instrument. You need to be a charismatic guy and a teamplayer and you need to groove with your fellow musicians on stage...

it's like claiming street art footballplayers could easily play in the premiere League... it's just not the same dimension.

Stop claiming that your individual opinions on stuff are the only truth.  You can't explain to us how hard or easy it is to play arenas for such a large crowd if you have never done it yourself.

The arrogance in your posts are incredible... like everyone on this forum beside you knows nothing and has no clue. except for the peopole that agree with you of course...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

just to clear up, i am in a band myself  and have been gigging constantly for the last couple of years in different sized venues, so that's not where they get their Hero Satus from at least for me.... I've never played 5000< crowds so why the fuck should I lecture people about how easy or hard it is to do that. I just don't know......

Being a a great performer doesn't only require skill on your instrument. You need to be a charismatic guy and a teamplayer and you need to groove with your fellow musicians on stage...

it's like claiming street art footballplayers could easily play in the premiere League... it's just not the same dimension.

Stop claiming that your individual opinions on stuff are the only truth.  You can't explain to us how hard or easy it is to play arenas for such a large crowd if you have never done it yourself.

The arrogance in your posts are incredible... like everyone on this forum beside you knows nothing and has no clue. except for the peopole that agree with you of course...

Nobody agrees with him...some small aspects of his arguments make sense and there are people, including me, who agree with him on that, but the rest is simply his own fantasies. 

23 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

People think that performing and songwriting are basically equal in importance.

No, people think that performance (among other individual factors) are more important than the 1% figure you keep throwing around, never making that out to be hyperbole. I haven't seen anyone say they're equal.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

Actually buddy, I have played to crowds, and it is not hard, the performance itself, maybe your band just sucks. I am not trying to sound offensive or anything but if you really can't pick up instruments with your band and just knock our a song without amazing skill, that is kind of pathetic.

The biggest hurdles to playing are, setup, sound, and nerves. Once you got that, the actual performance should be a cake walk. It becomes very routine after awhile, everyone knows their shit like they know how to brush their teeth. That is how most functioning bands work.

Yeah I'm not really defending his attitude on it, there are parts of what he's saying that are true but at this point I couldn't tell you what his definitive argument is. my argument is that a competent guitarist with gigging experience could perform as well as if not better than Skiba. thats my only argument, I don't think songwriting is the absolute necessity to be a success because I think marketing, financial backing, timing and networking, attractiveness, and dumb luck have equal influence. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Actually buddy, I have played to crowds, and it is not hard, the performance itself, maybe your band just sucks. I am not trying to sound offensive or anything but if you really can't pick up instruments with your band and just knock our a song without amazing skill, that is kind of pathetic.

The biggest hurdles to playing are, setup, sound, and nerves. Once you got that, the actual performance should be a cake walk. It becomes very routine after awhile, everyone knows their shit like they know how to brush their teeth. That is how most functioning bands work.

i never said i couldn't

i just say since i've never played arenas i'm not gonna lecture people about how easy it is to play them.... 

damn you sir are so full of yourself , it's cringeworthy

back to topic:

Songwriting is crucial , but so is Performing. The Music Business is an Entertainment Business, it's not as romantic as some people are trying to make it out to be, at least from my experience

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

i never said i couldn't

i just say since i've never played arenas i'm not gonna lecture people about how easy it is to play them.... 

damn you sir are so full of yourself , it's cringeworthy

back to topic:

Songwriting is crucial , but so is Performing. The Music Business is an Entertainment Business, it's not as romantic as some people are trying to make it out to be, at least from my experience

Never said performing wasn't important. But its like a pre requisite, do you know what that is?

It is IMPORTANT to know what a steering wheel is if you want to be an auto mechanic.

It is IMPORTANT to know what a brain is to be a brain surgeon.

It is IMPORTANT to to spell your own name on an application if you want to go to college.

It is IMPORTANT to be able to perform if you want to make it in the music business.

It is IMPORTANT to know what a movie is if you want to direct movies.

Performing is like low end shit, everyone can do it, you aren't special if you can, "ooowww I can be a success in music, because I can perform"

Get in the back of the  line with the 1,000,000 people.

Again, this is a pretty easy concept.

7 minutes ago, Kay said:

@Olidamus out of curiosity, have you been in a band and gigged? 

Yes, I have. I was in a full band from 1997-2001 From when I was 15 y/o to 19 y/o, and the drummer was only 11 y/o when he started, and this was just around the time when guitar tabs started to become available (famous people tried to stop them if you can believe that.) No youtube. No nothing.

And we did damn good considering, I wish I still had video, people were so impressed wherever we played.

I was in a band again in 2003 and shortly in 2005. We actually had professional studio time in 2005 and I have those tracks somewhere (it cost like $600 per track) LOL.

But I never found it to be hard, maybe I just so obsessed that I was willing to stop at nothing to learn it. Maybe it was so much fun that it didn't seem like work at all.

It has been said that success doesn't come from being smart or educated,  it comes from persistence. Just never stop. I think that is so true. Very few people just keep going. Most give up when it gets hard.

2 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

But I never found it to be hard, maybe I just so obsessed that I was willing to stop at nothing to learn it. Maybe it was so much fun that it didn't seem like work at all.

It has been said that success doesn't come from being smart or educated,  it comes from persistence. Just never stop. I think that is so true. Very few people just keep going. Most give up when it gets hard.

Basically what happened with me. I'm a good musician, I personally think I'm a damn good songwriter, but due to my anxiety and my location (wales is terrible in regards to the 'music scene' and britain is actually worse off for it then a lot of european countries) it was just ridiculously difficult to do much with it, so I've effectively stopped really trying. I was in a band for a short while (18 months?) but as I've mentioned a few times around here our guitarist was an idiot and the band imploded. We're auditioning for a new guitarist but I don't really like anyone we've seen so far, and even then I don't see it ever amounting to anything.

All I want to do now is record my solo stuff, throw it on the internet for no one to pay attention to and just be sad that I never followed my dreams. woop de woop. 

8 minutes ago, Kay said:

Basically what happened with me. I'm a good musician, I personally think I'm a damn good songwriter, but due to my anxiety and my location (wales is terrible in regards to the 'music scene' and britain is actually worse off for it then a lot of european countries) it was just ridiculously difficult to do much with it, so I've effectively stopped really trying. I was in a band for a short while (18 months?) but as I've mentioned a few times around here our guitarist was an idiot and the band imploded. We're auditioning for a new guitarist but I don't really like anyone we've seen so far, and even then I don't see it ever amounting to anything.

All I want to do now is record my solo stuff, throw it on the internet for no one to pay attention to and just be sad that I never followed my dreams. woop de woop. 

:-(

That sucks, I wouldn't get discouraged by it. I've never once been discouraged about my lack of progress, playing has always been there for me to enjoy and if the only person I Am playing for is myself, I am still enjoying it

I'd love to be back in a band, way too much time has gone by and that is a slight regret of mine, but I feel like one day I could still make it happen.

To say that perform is the low end... oh, my, Oliver. I have to disagree here. To play an instrument, maybe, is something that you can consider 'low end' (if you want, I wouldn't), as long as it's relatively easy to figure out without special learning and even a 5 YO child can do. But, to actually perform is a different thing. Is like the advanced stage of playing an instrument. The next level, and it's what makes a legendary band or artist just that, a legend. It's what makes a one-chord blues song an absolute masterpiece -otherwise, a one-chord song wold be total crap-. And that's not that easy to achieve. I don't know if I'm understanding you here. If you're saying, at the end, that blink's catalog is easy as fuck, yeah, then I agree with you since 1994. If you're saying that is easy to achieve a level of performance an personality on stage, aside of the songs being easy or hard to play, nope.

I think it's safe to say that performing is not a low end thing. I mean, I've seen penty of contemporary music concerts too, also classical ones. Those guys and girls are amazing musicians and performers, even if they are reading music. I've seen several rehearsals while working on a short period in time as production assistant on this kind of events, and it's mindbowing. I've seen that people just playing those pieces on the fly on a first recognition, and then actually performing them, with or without instructions of their director. It's a hell of a difference. That kind of music is nothing without performance habilities, and that's something absolutely not low end. Is something you can notice. When a violin is crying on a low key part, as cheesy as it can sound, it is really crying; is the way the musician plays the instrument, the way he/she puts the feeling throug the strings, the way he/she is able to feel what the music expresses and translates it to the performance, and there's nothing in there related with just playing. Sure you have to be an excellent player, but all that is performing. The musician talking through the instrument.

I know we're not talking about classical and shit, and that punkrock, pop and rock is way different, but the performance habilities are still required to be a performer and not only a youtube player/imitator.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kay said:

Sorry to read that, Kay. Keep on rockin', no matter what :)

• Like 1