Show From Interesting Time for Blink

VinDicktive

Hey All,

Just saw this on Youtube and thought I'd throw it up, it's one of the Pop Disaster performances with Green Day in 2002.

This was on April 24th, 2002, a few weeks after BCR's first shows and a few weeks before the BCR album dropped. You can feel the tension and discomfort in between songs between Tom and Mark, a harbinger of things to come...

All that aside, it's a pretty good set list! Although the performance is as little unpolished in places. At least it's Tom at near enough his peak performance-wise, even if this is shortly after his back injury. Blink are the second half of the video after GD.

Ah, I love when the bass comes into Anthem Part 2, that moment before Tom starts to slide the octaves. I always thought that Anthem 2 intro was a very built one. Simple, with enough tension put just before the thing rolls all thogether when the bass comes in.

Man, they had onstage pressence back in the day.

Edit 2: that guitar tone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ghost said:

Ah, I love when the bass comes into Anthem Part 2, that moment before Tom starts to slide the octaves. I always thought that Anthem 2 intro was a very built one. Simple, with enough tension put just before the thing rolls all thogether when the bass comes in.

Man, they had onstage pressence back in the day.

Edit 2: that guitar tone.

I grew up listening to hip hop up until I was about 13, then I heard "Feeling This" and was like "what the fuck is this? This is awesome." I wasn't familiar with live rock shows or anything like that since i was so young and my parents weren't into that stuff, and when I saw them play Feeling This on TRL I was expecting an exact rendition of the album version, and it wasn't. It was sloppy, loud, full of energy- it kicked major fucking ass. I loved that it was different than the album version. Then I saw them live and the guitar tone/shitty playing/not-giving-a-fuck became one of the things I loved most about blink. Damn.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kevin. said:

yeah, green day beat the shit out of them. based on both my memory and this video, their opening with Maria is fucking insane in comparison to blink's bland and sloppy Anthem pt 2. you can hardly even hear green day in this video because the crowd was so loud

I wonder if the general perception of people who went to the Pop Disaster shows was that Green Day was a better band, or it was just the press trying to establish a rivalry between the bands

10 hours ago, two said:

I grew up listening to hip hop up until I was about 13, then I heard "Feeling This" and was like "what the fuck is this? This is awesome." I wasn't familiar with live rock shows or anything like that since i was so young and my parents weren't into that stuff, and when I saw them play Feeling This on TRL I was expecting an exact rendition of the album version, and it wasn't. It was sloppy, loud, full of energy- it kicked major fucking ass. I loved that it was different than the album version. Then I saw them live and the guitar tone/shitty playing/not-giving-a-fuck became one of the things I loved most about blink. Damn.

Remember the top 10 videos on TRL? I guess it was the same thing in every country and a couple of days after this one aired in America, the guys on TRL Italy decided to show this live version of the song for a full week instead of the classic video because they loved it too.. and I was blown away! 

• Like 1

Fun fact as well that this was Green Day at an all-time low in terms of commercial success, Warning didn't do that well but still spawned hit singles and then they just throw out a great greatest hits setlist at a tour were everyone will be comparing the bands and still manages to throw in a deep-cut and some covers. I mean compare this:

Anthem Part Two
The Rock Show
Dumpweed
Going Away to College
What's My Age Again?
Please Take Me Home
Happy Holidays, You Bastard
Adam's Song
First Date
Carousel
When You Fucked Grandpa
Dysentery Gary
Family Reunion
Don't Leave Me
Stay Together for the Kids
All the Small Things
What Went Wrong?
Reckless Abandon
Dammit

To this:

Maria
Longview
Welcome to Paradise
Hitchin' a Ride
Brain Stew
Jaded
2000 Light Years Away
Knowledge (Operation Ivy cover)
Basket Case
She
King for a Day
Shout (The Isley Brothers cover)
Waiting
Minority
When I Come Around
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)

As a casual fan I know which set I would prefer at least.

12 hours ago, raw_sounds said:

I wonder if the general perception of people who went to the Pop Disaster shows was that Green Day was a better band, or it was just the press trying to establish a rivalry between the bands

i was there and didn't even know who green day was at the time (i was really young) and still thought they were better. i was there with a large group of people and they all agreed. people from my school who went also agreed. it should be very clear even for a die hard blink fan that they have never been good live. green day absolutely destroys them in that category