Example of paying to appear on a Magazine free compilation.

Ghost

Since some of us discussed a few weeks ago about the way the industry works in order to make bands more visible, appearing in magazines, climb into charts, and stuff like that, I thought it would be interesting to show you a recent example. In fact I just received this mail a few minutes ago with the data I'm going to show you. The e-mail comes from a Spanish paper magazine which uses to do DVD and CD compilations, you know, that kind of free stuff some magazines, as Kerrang, use to release from time to time. Ok, so, this magazine (excuse me for not telling the name), being on a "lower" level than, so to say, Kerrang or the likes of thar, just send mails to bands too. Bigger magazines don't have direct contact with bands. All the work is done through communicacion agencies/PR companies, which are hired by labels, or are part of those same labels. So, with this small example, you can have an idea ofbigger structures and prices in order to achoeve other goals.

So here are the exact prices you can pay right now in order to appear in their next DVD compilation which they will end up giving away for free with their nex issue. Let's have a look. You can appear in that DVD in different ways:

• One video: 70€
  • 1 to 5 songs i audio format (mp3 at 256-320 Kbps): 70€
  • Full album: 120€ (same format as above)
  • Video + 1 to 5 songs: 120€ (same format as above)
  • Video + full album: 170€ (same format as above)

Remember, those are the prices for the bands, directly, for a small magazine in Spain, specialized in rock which promotes, basically, national bands.

For that specific case you're saying, Kay, I preffer fanzines wich are in touch with their respectives scenes. At the end, some of those "small" magazines are not much different from some good fanzines (if not worse). And that latest ones are much better on the digging process of their local scenes to discover new bands, but without money motivation. The biggest handicap is that, usually, they are not able to release stuff on other countries.