California Deluxe Album

Ghent

43 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

That first part almost made me spit out my coffee laughing LOL. The 2nd part I disagree with, they definitely have 3rd/4th single potential on California with Sober/HISALP, and even Left Alone potentially. Travis has also flat out said that the label won't let them release a new album yet, so they have to mask it as a "Deluxe". To me that's just a sign of Blink-182 actually getting along and being in the studio together writing music and wanting to share it with their fans.

Yup.  If anything the Deluxe is literally the exact opposite of a cash grab.  It's an entire new albums worth of material as a bonus freebie that the label didn't even want or ask for.

I'm starting to get more and more curious about it. They just went into silence after the Grammys. We just started March, so... seeing how other bands have been doing announcements for april and may releases, they should be announcing something sooner than later.

54 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

As hard as you are about music i'm surprised you're even a blink fan to be honest. 

Well, the blink love came before the music critic thing. blink is the reason I love music as much as I do, its the reason I learned guitar, it's the reason I started song writing. one of the main reasons blink stayed one of my favourite bands for so long was the fact that they never took themselves seriously. They wrote crap music, and they knew it, and did not care. it was inspiring, really. It still is. I will always have a bit more respect for musicians who know their own limitations but still write and work on it because they care and because its what they love to do.

it's only as I've grown up, massively expanded my musical horizons and worked so much on music and with other musicians and producing and stuff that I've developed an intense 'critique' when it comes to music, of all kinds. I have a soft spot for pop punk and probably always will, but as an adult I am no longer blind to blinks flaws or anyone elses. it means I come across like a judgemental nitty-picking nutjob at times but they're issues I cannot ignore when listening to music, and California is an example of something filled with errors that send alarm bells around my brain. I imagine some people think I'm *looking* for reasons to dislike aspects of songs or whatever. the truth is 9 times out of 10 I am desperately looking for reasons to like it, and I struggle massively. 

I don't think I've enjoyed a new album from start to finish without any critiques since I was about 18. it's a curse. 

• Like 1

While the album is a bit mediocre I still think it has given us some good blink songs.

San Diego, Left Alone, Cynical, Sober (imo), LA are all top top songs imo. Who gives a fuck about albums anymore. Just take the songs you like and delete the rest. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Scott. said:

While the album is a bit mediocre I still think it has given us some good blink songs.

San Diego, Left Alone, Cynical, Sober (imo), LA are all top top songs imo. Who gives a fuck about albums anymore. Just take the songs you like and delete the rest. 

I do lol 

• Like 6

On 1 March 2017 at 4:21 PM, Kay said:

I do lol 

Fair enough. There's not many album is enjoy tbh. I take the songs I like and make a playlist and fuck the rest off. I honestly couldn't name you album names of some bands I love.

I prefer albums. Always. The artist chose to put those songs together for a reason and I like hearing the entire project all at once. Plus it provides a good measuring stick for things like lyrics, theme, cohesiveness, etc. I have roughly 50 albums saved on my Spotify that I consider to be my favorite albums ever and it's because they all represent what the good album form can be. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, NotNow said:

Yea my mention of being a student wasn't meant to suggest that they're the only ones with the working nonstop lifestlyle. Anyone's that's working full time or a parent is likely dealing with it as well. The albums certainly a success though so many people really like the album so regardless of whether any of us think it's shit on this website, I don't see how it's our place to say the band should be ashamed of this album because it's a completely different blink. If they put the work and effort in although I guess you could make the selling out argument where they just worked their asses off to make something that would sell really well and they don't care about the direction or the music they made that would be valid, but I'm of the opinion at this point that this is actually what mark and the guys want and enjoy to make whether any of us like it or not.

That's cool. This all goes back to me thinking this isn't really a blink record. And yeah, being a student is crazy. And I get the analogy that Mark doesn't have to make new blink. I just think he could've continued this lifestyle in a new band. Only thing is more $$$ with the blink name. I just personally think if they couldn't be better than their earlier work, why give a watered down version of blink? Because +44 wouldn't have gotten nominated for awards or any radio play or "sold out" shows. I think it's money. Everyone else thinks it's passion. It's probably somewhere in the middle.

5 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

That first part almost made me spit out my coffee laughing LOL. The 2nd part I disagree with, they definitely have 3rd/4th single potential on California with Sober/HISALP, and even Left Alone potentially. Travis has also flat out said that the label won't let them release a new album yet, so they have to mask it as a "Deluxe". To me that's just a sign of Blink-182 actually getting along and being in the studio together writing music and wanting to share it with their fans.

I dunno. I feel I can judge the authenticity of their intentions easier when I hear new material. Left Alone is one of the only songs off Cali I enjoy. I'd be stoked for that on the radio over BTD. But I bet the next single is among the new batch next summer. If that's the case, it doesn't matter what we all thought. The original Cali album will have only had 2 singles. No different than Neighborhoods. Unless Sober is released this spring.