California Deluxe Album

Ghent

12 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

both songs are built around the I–V–vi–IV progression (albeit it in different keys). so the chords are different, but the relational pattern is the same. tonally, i consider the songs to be quite distinct. but it's fair to say they are the same chord progression.

Yeah, I have to back down from this one. I hadn't heard that song for a while and was thinking of a different progression in my head. You're absolutely right

The thing I don't like about Offspring is they haven't really developed their sound. Similar with Rise Against. Offspring have sounded the same since the 90's and it's tiresome for me. There have been a couple of songs I've liked by them in the past 16 years though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

you have this in reverse, actually. different chords, same progression.

No man you have this in reverse. 

Its: Same chords(If you would play them in the same key that is), Different progression

Trust In You: VI–IV–I–V

Bored To Death: I–V–VI–IV

Same chords(Put the whole key thing aside), Different progression (Basicly BTD progression starts on the 3th chord in Trust In You)

I think you thought the argument was about Bored To Death and Cruising California...

29 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

The thing I don't like about Offspring is they haven't really developed their sound. Similar with Rise Against. Offspring have sounded the same since the 90's and it's tiresome for me. There have been a couple of songs I've liked by them in the past 16 years though.

Pretty much this. I really feel this way about a lot of the 90's bands. But Offspring and Rise Against are definitely...consistently consistent in their sound.  Though I liked Rage and Grace for a quick minute in college and still play it every now and then but I just dunno if I'd check out any of their other records.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

Pretty much this. I really feel this way about a lot of the 90's bands. But Offspring and Rise Against are definitely...consistently consistent in their sound.  Though I liked Rage and Grace for a quick minute in college and still play it every now and then but I just dunno if I'd check out any of their other records.

Yeah definitely. Although can't go wrong with that Hammerhead song. I enjoy that. Hit That was pretty different for them too. Spare Me the Details is a song I actually fell in love with as well, probably cause I related to it a lot when I first heard it haha. But outside of like 2-3 songs, Offspring still sound like 90's Offspring. At least with blink & Green Day, they've proven capable of moving past the 90s pop punk sound.

Yeah guys, maybe the songs are in different key, I agree, I'm not that good in theory but I hear distinct similarities and hate the fact that 80% of California is built around variations of the same 4 chords, blink's music was a lot more varied with Neignborhoods or Self-titled

Happened last night in one of my dreams. But I tried to listen to Parking Lot on Spotify, but turns out the new 6/8 song was under the Parking Lot name by accident. I listened and loved it. Knowing me, it's probably gonna be my own 6/8 song to write haha, but hopefully the blink 6/8 song turns out good!