California Deluxe Album

Ghent

*Gets on soapbox*

I gave California a listen today for the first time in a while, along with the deluxe tracks that we have so far.

It's not terrible by any means, and it's better than Neighborhoods, but it is just...okay, 6-7/10.

It's safe. I can see why they (and the label) made what they did. The insecurities of the past and the strict template of 'how a pop-punk song sounds' hinder it from being more. There are no memorable riffs, which is the biggest loss from Delonge's departure. Anyone that has played guitar for more than 6 months can see how uninspired the guitar-work is.

On the other side, every song is at listenable and structured. Hoppus's bass work is terrific, and overlooked amongst the fair criticisms of the album, although it is easier to stand out against 45 minutes of non-stop power chords and forgettable 'lead' guitar. Barker is Barker on the drums and Skiba sang well.

The deluxe songs are more interesting. I think it is slightly more geared to us hardcore-nerd fans and have been better (excluding the sonic turd that is parking lot). They are good...if even instantly noticeable as being in the same vein as the rest of the Cali era.

This incarnation of Blink is streets ahead of 2009-2014...which was a monumental disappointment and money grab, but that x-factor isn't there. I think that died in 2004 along with Mark and Tom's friendship.

Sorry for the lengthy post!

• Like 2

Just FYI, there's a glitch in Apple Music that is playing new songs for people. So far hey I'm sorry and long lost feeling have been reported. Could be game time.

Edit: apparently it didn't play audio for long lost feeling, but it did for hey I'm sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alkaline_skiba said:

Chance of leak today?

I've seen in twitter that some stores got the copies before the weekend, so it can happen at any moment (doesn't mean it's gonna leak today or tomorrow necessarily).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

Paramore leaked 3 days before its release. I'm expecting the same for Blink. 

Paramore leaked on Wednesday so it was only two days and really only about 16 hours before release technically since it would have been available in New Zealand for purchase Thursday morning as will this. If we don't get it before 8 am edt on the 18th, it's not really a leak. Vinyls will start being delivered on the 17th though so we should get it by then.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NotNow said:

Paramore leaked on Wednesday so it was only two days and really only about 16 hours before release technically since it would have been available in New Zealand for purchase Thursday morning as will this. If we don't get it before 8 am edt on the 18th, it's not really a leak. Vinyls will start being delivered on the 17th though so we should get it by then.

Can't Wait anymore hope for today, but i still believe on 17th