California Deluxe Album

Ghent

1 minute ago, Olidamus said:

:-)

I am stunned to be honest, aren't other people stunned? Sure 6/8 kind of hinted in this direction but I just didn't expect this. I don't think I've ever been so happy to have been so utterly wrong.

I am also pleasantly stunned. Was expecting more of the same 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Watcher on the Wall said:

Finally! I loved and defended Cali, but it really did bum me out that everyone here wasn't into it. I know not everyone is on board but it's great to have a lot of people digging the new songs!

Yeah I love Cali and will defend it. But I can't be bothered anymore worrying about what others think. Waste of time and energy, as long as I enjoy it I'm happy as hell. If others love it? Awesome, if they don't? Whatever. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vivalasativa said:

anyone else notice how they released the poppy/easy to listen to songs first?

Thank goodness Parking Lot was the worst song..Misery, 6/8, Wildfire are middle/low tier for the album.

I was so fucking pissed when Misery was getting hyped as the best to come. Not even close.  Last Train Home sounds like a song released in early 2000s I'd like and listen to every day.  As in the same feels I had as when I was 17.  Impressed. Shocked. 

Last Train Home, Bottom of the Ocean, Long Lost Feeling are probably the best songs lol and Don't Mean Anything bridge is the best part...fire the YouTube guy or whoever decides these things immediately

Tornado sirens started going off here literally as I finished the last song lol. Had that happened mid-listen I'd have been so pissed. 

Deluxe is great. I feel like it should definitely bring some of the haters who aren't just blatant tombots on board a bit. There is a little something for everyone now. 

Isnt anyone going to freak out about "dearest mom" and "dear ole dad"? Haha I thought for sure there would be a major meltdown .

Good Old Days might be my favorite of the Deluxe songs. Jeez, I'm really in love with that song. It sounds fresh, it's catchy, and it also still maintains a cool mid 2000s pop punk sensibility. As for the rest of the deluxe, I like some of it, I'm more meh on others. Overall, I give it a B probably. I think you can see Matt's influence way more on these songs. It's also very evident that the original California was definitely intended to be more of a feel good summery album - the fact that these songs all seem a bit more diverse and experimental seems to back that up.

My major gripe with these songs however is the god awful production - the autotune/pitch correction isn't even hidden. It's like T-Pain at some points haha. You can literally hear the fluctuation and processing of many of the note changes in the vocals. I feel like for this type of band pitch correction is totally fine - in fact most artists use it. But the amount it's used here and how obviously poorly it was executed is just bad.

• Like 2