California Deluxe Album

Ghent

43 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

Really would it of killed Feldman to put some Trumpet or Trombone in this song? 

He's saving that for California limited time special edition Deluxe, where if you pre order you can get Trumpet & Trombone on Bored To Death and a life size poster of John Feldmann shirtless.

• Like 3

Hits Daily Double's numbers are in... While these are not the official/Soundscan figures, they are certainly close:

SALES PLUS STREAMING CHART:

-- 26 BLINK 182 CALIFORNIA BMG 17,690 --

BUILDING ALBUM SALES CHART:

-- 10 BLINK 182 CALIFORNIA BMG 15,345 --

Also, it re-enters the UK albums chart at #15: "Their seventh studio album in a little over 21 years - and the first fronted by Alkaline Trio's Matt Skiba - California became the first ever No.1 album for the pop/punk trio Blink 182 last July, and the release of a deluxe edition restores it to the chart at No.15 (4,738 sales), while raising its cumulative sales to 78,347."

(Nice total sales in the UK, 100 000 copies would give them a Gold certification.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i gave CA deluxe a listen the other day while i was travelling, right after i listened to a few other albums in my current rotation: gaslight anthem, microwave, and the menzingers.

what was immediately apparent was how inauthentic blink-2017 sounded in comparison. it's almost like the music was constructed in a lab. what i mean is, there isn't a single track on either CA or CA deluxe that remotely sounds like it was jammed on in a rehearsal space or garage. and the final recordings do not in any way sound like people in the same room at the same time. it's all very clinical, very sterile. the lyrics are without any genuine feeling, there are no real stories; it just sounds like mark and matt pick phrases that simply sound neat.

contrast with gaslight anthem, or the menzingers, or microwave; the recordings all sound perfectly mixed, live in a room. every word drips with real stories, real feelings. there is pain and joy in the melodies. whether you like these bands or not (and i only mention these three as they were on right before i put on CA deluxe), the music is honest. it's real.

blink-2017 is just, well, without soul. without meaning.

Top contenders here, mate.

• Like 1

i gave CA deluxe a listen the other day while i was travelling, right after i listened to a few other albums in my current rotation: gaslight anthem, microwave, and the menzingers.

what was immediately apparent was how inauthentic blink-2017 sounded in comparison. it's almost like the music was constructed in a lab. what i mean is, there isn't a single track on either CA or CA deluxe that remotely sounds like it was jammed on in a rehearsal space or garage. and the final recordings do not in any way sound like people in the same room at the same time. it's all very clinical, very sterile. the lyrics are without any genuine feeling, there are no real stories; it just sounds like mark and matt pick phrases that simply sound neat.

contrast with gaslight anthem, or the menzingers, or microwave; the recordings all sound perfectly mixed, live in a room. every word drips with real stories, real feelings. there is pain and joy in the melodies. whether you like these bands or not (and i only mention these three as they were on right before i put on CA deluxe), the music is honest. it's real.

The Menzingers are the best punk band currently. Kind of remind me of the Dude Ranch era of Blink, but with better lyrics and guitar riffs. Absolutely love the production of their albums too. 

Good summary of the issues of new Blink, though. Their new music definitely sounds less genuine and passionate than their glory days. 

Microwave is an awesome band.

I saw the Menzingers this spring, mostly because they had two of my favorite bands opening for them, but they were just incredible live. Their new album rules too. Like Davey said, their shit makes Blink sound clinical, sterile, soulless, etc. I've obviously talked about this so many times, but I was all on board with the idea of a new era of Blink, until they have sacrificed any and all "soul" in their music (the feeling, not the genre) so far in the Cali/Feldy/Skiba Era. And it bums me out.

On 5/26/2017 at 3:39 AM, Thomas D. said:

It's pretty ironic that you whine about lyrics videos while you misquoted Baby Come On lyrics in your signature.

Please explain to me how that's ironic. I'm pretty sure you don't know what ironic means. I said that the lyric videos are over-edited to the point where their function is harmed, and that they are aesthetically displeasing. Somehow that means that I should have a strong attention to detail in a forum signature for a website I don't even post on that often? Sorry I'm a bit confused there. Perhaps you just wanted to to scrape the bottom of a barrel for an attack that serves no purpose to further discussion on here. Shocker!

As time continues to pass 'Hey Im Sorry' continues to be the only song that survives to have any staying power...it's really the only song that seems true to themselves, lyrics especially.  That and the piano, instrumentation feels like where a Mark led Blink should be in 2017.  It's not the best song ever, but it's genuine effort. 

Last Train Home, Bottom of the Ocean, Cynical, few others are all cool songs..but they just don't seem to stick at all. 

You hear Mark actually singing in Hey I'm Sorry and not pretending to be hip or a pop star or w.e.  I was hoping Long Lost Feeling was another but can't help but notice the forced style of singing per usual with Cali era.

• Like 1