California Deluxe Album

Ghent

That's what I don't get. It's so divisive amongst blink fans. So what if I don't feel the same excitement for blink nowadays when a new song drops? Ok. Fine. That doesn't nullify all the hours spent listening to blink in the past. I'd hate if this board was 100% new era or 100% old school blink fans. There'd be no critical thinking.

No one is trying to silence anyone. You guys are the only ones talking about new blink in here, there's no room for any other commentary. Same crew, same comments. But that's fine, you'll move on eventually. In the meantime, we will keep enjoying the new stuff.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Blink 18Feldmann said:

I don't know why fans of the new era want to silence the dislikers so bad on here.  It's not like we all ventured here from another planet, we've all been huge fans of the band for a long time so pretty much everyone is going to give it the best benefit of the doubt possible.

If the music is bad, and from the reasons many of us believe (lazy, rushed, uninspired, co-written) It surely deserves to be criticized.

No one is silencing you.  There are plenty of people who don't like Cali/DLX and that's totally fine.  Opinions are what makes message boards function. 

You celebrate hating on the album, and get boners while typing "hype is dead."  

I can't stand Clarke, but even he doesn't do that. 

• Like 1

I think Blink has such a deep connection to most of us remembering the prime times of our lives, that regardless of what music they release--it's impossible to surpass the insanely high standard we have set with EOTS/Untitled/etc (or whichever album is the Blink soundtrack of YOUR youth).

This happens with each "era" of Blink... Cheshire/Dude Ranch peeps often think EOTS is crap, EOTS->Untitled peeps think NH/DED is crap, etc. Now people think Cali era is crap, which everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I love Cali/Deluxe, and a big part of that is because I'm not trying to hold it to a standard that is impossible to achieve in my mind. Instead of over analyzing, or going in knowing you're gonna hate it, just listen to it a bunch. Of course you aren't going to connect with a song when you listen to it 3x and then go complain about it. A lot of these Deluxe songs I enjoy more and more every time I listen. Learn the lyrics, bang along to the drums in the car, play some songs for friends. 

I've listened to probably 20 albums this past week, and don't remember any of them, or any lyrics. So the "it's not memorable" excuse is just not listening enough IMO. Of course it's not memorable when you listen 1x and are fuming about Feldmann inside. I didn't remember EOTS/TOYPAJ the first time I heard them, it's because I blared them all summer long and they were on the radio/TV all the time. If you complain about the "generic" lyrics, do you really think you'd like ATST or First Date if they came out today? I'm almost 30, I'd probably laugh at how corny they were, but those songs are engraved in us because they are tied to our youth. When in reality, they are probably even more cringe than 99% of Cali stuff. 

If you know you are going to hate it before you listen, then nothing is going to change. It's a different era of Blink, Tom is gone. It's 100% OK to admit you were more of a "Tom" guy (bot), and that this stuff does nothing for you. But if you're a fan of Blink, give the dudes a fair chance and be thankful they are still making music. People act is if Feldmann wrote both albums by himself, the production peeps are squirrels, and that Mark/Matt/Trav are just intentionally releasing dog shit that they know sucks, which is just so wrong IMHO.

Like most things in this world, you can act like the stubborn old people who hate change, or you can adapt and embrace change (even if you don't particularly agree with it). This is no different. You can be the 40 year old dude playing EOTS babbling about how awesome 1999 was, or you can be the 40 year old dude at the California 10-year reunion tour screaming Cynical at the top of your lungs with the rest of the people who appreciate it. I know where I'll be... front row in a HMNIM shirt, elbowing a teen behind me.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

Like most things in this world, you can act like the stubborn old people who hate change, or you can adapt and embrace change (even if you don't particularly agree with it). This is no different. You can be the 40 year old dude playing EOTS babbling about how awesome 1999 was, or you can be the 40 year old dude at the California 10-year reunion tour screaming Cynical at the top of your lungs with the rest of the people who appreciate it. I know where I'll be... front row in a HMNIM shirt, elbowing a teen behind me.

Might have made me shed a tear.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

I think Blink has such a deep connection to most of us remembering the prime times of our lives, that regardless of what music they release--it's impossible to surpass the insanely high standard we have set with EOTS/Untitled/etc (or whichever album is the Blink soundtrack of YOUR youth).

This happens with each "era" of Blink... Cheshire/Dude Ranch peeps often think EOTS is crap, EOTS->Untitled peeps think NH/DED is crap, etc. Now people think Cali era is crap, which everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I love Cali/Deluxe, and a big part of that is because I'm not trying to hold it to a standard that is impossible to achieve in my mind. Instead of over analyzing, or going in knowing you're gonna hate it, just listen to it a bunch. Of course you aren't going to connect with a song when you listen to it 3x and then go complain about it. A lot of these Deluxe songs I enjoy more and more every time I listen. Learn the lyrics, bang along to the drums in the car, play some songs for friends. 

I've listened to probably 20 albums this past week, and don't remember any of them, or any lyrics. So the "it's not memorable" excuse is just not listening enough IMO. Of course it's not memorable when you listen 1x and are fuming about Feldmann inside. I didn't remember EOTS/TOYPAJ the first time I heard them, it's because I blared them all summer long and they were on the radio/TV all the time. If you complain about the "generic" lyrics, do you really think you'd like ATST or First Date if they came out today? I'm almost 30, I'd probably laugh at how corny they were, but those songs are engraved in us because they are tied to our youth. When in reality, they are probably even more cringe than 99% of Cali stuff. 

If you know you are going to hate it before you listen, then nothing is going to change. It's a different era of Blink, Tom is gone. It's 100% OK to admit you were more of a "Tom" guy (bot), and that this stuff does nothing for you. But if you're a fan of Blink, give the dudes a fair chance and be thankful they are still making music. People act is if Feldmann wrote both albums by himself, the production peeps are squirrels, and that Mark/Matt/Trav are just intentionally releasing dog shit that they know sucks, which is just so wrong IMHO.

Feldmann didn't write the albums on his own, he got some help from professional songwriters!

31 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

But I like Neighborhoods a lot. So nah

You just said you hadn't even listened to Deluxe yet, which means you aren't even able to give this version of Blink a fair chance due to either:

1. Being a pure Tombot (which is fine, I get it. The first step is acceptance.)

2. Being such a Feldmann hater that you can't overcome your own bias to give it a fair shot (Which we need to quit strokin' Feldy's ego and acting like he did everything, he gets far too much credit/discredit IMO)

3. Deciding you won't like it before you even listen (Which if you think this, you're probably right. But what a sad way to go about things.)

But yeah, I love Neighborhoods too. I love all Blink and always want them to keep doing what they love, even if every song isn't the soundtrack of my life.

• Like 1

I've listened to 4 out of the what, 9? new songs on this thing and they weren't even worth the time. Reading the descriptions and the reactions on here have pretty much given little hope the rest would do much of anything either. It's the same shit, maybe slightly different. The majority of the California album was a misfire to me and it's the only blink release I can say I don't like. It has little to do with my age (as I was well into my 20s when Neighborhoods came out) and I don't even listen to AVA.

• Like 1

Well said @ryan1125. I may have grown to hate Feldmann because of his production/first thought best thought style, but you have to give everything a fair shot. I appreciate every era of blink for a different reason, and I hope down the line Cali DLX sticks with me like Neighborhoods has.

4 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I've listened to 4 out of the what, 9? new songs on this thing and they weren't even worth the time.  It's the same shit, maybe slightly different.

Well of the ones you haven't listened to: Last Train Home, Long Lost Feeling, and Bottom Of The Ocean definitely don't follow the "Cali Formula" you are referring to. Those are worth checking out with an open mind.

I've listened to 4 out of the what, 9? new songs on this thing and they weren't even worth the time. Reading the descriptions and the reactions on here have pretty much given little hope the rest would do much of anything either. It's the same shit, maybe slightly different. The majority of the California album was a misfire to me and it's the only blink release I can say I don't like. It has little to do with my age (as I was well into my 20s when Neighborhoods came out) and I don't even listen to AVA.

I'm with you on this one. Don't care for California. Didn't care for the pre-released songs before Deluxe dropped and have no desire to listen to the rest, although I did listen to some short clips on iTunes. It just isn't Blink. There is zero personality in these songs and it sounds like the majority of the garbage out there.

On a side note, I think Tom has been fired up/inspired from the mediocrity of California and might put out some guitar driven punkish sounding music. Hope that weirdo proves me right!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

No one is silencing you.  There are plenty of people who don't like Cali/DLX and that's totally fine.  Opinions are what makes message boards function. 

You celebrate hating on the album, and get boners while typing "hype is dead."  

I can't stand Clarke, but even he doesn't do that. 

No one celebrates hating the album. I cry myself to sleep when it sinks in how shitty Blink has become with Skiba and Feldmann.  That's not celebrating.  Venting here might be a better word.

1 hour ago, ryan1125 said:

Well of the ones you haven't listened to: Last Train Home, Long Lost Feeling, and Bottom Of The Ocean definitely don't follow the "Cali Formula" you are referring to. Those are worth checking out with an open mind.

I will back this though.  These songs aren't very memorable but infinitely more creative and different from the 'formula'.

I'd give them a shot, I enjoyed all three for about 8-10 listens. Better than absolutely hating them.

There's like 12 songs from I like from both the California & Deluxe version. 12 out of 28. 12 is enough for an album. I just simply put them on a playlist in a specific order, to give it some kind of cohesive sound. Then I just forget about the rest of the songs. They don't exist in my eyes. Did the same with Neighborhoods/DED too with a couple of AVA tracks added in, as well as a couple from Tom's solo album.

That's what I do with most bands. Did the same with Green Day's trilogy albums. Never really been a fan of quantity over quality, but in them cases, you can make playlists, so it doesn't really bother me too much.

There may be a spot for Good Old Days on my playlist. I'm starting to like it more & more each time I listen to it. Still gotta give it time though. Took me like 3 years to all of a sudden fall in love with the smiley face album.

I'm looking forward to hearing the next album Tom DeLonge comes up with. I don't want EPs (as much as I enjoyed Chasing Shadows). The Dream Walker IMO is such an underrated album. Hopefully he doesn't resort to the LOVE trash again or the Demos & Odds trash.