Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cheerios4u98

I've never used guitar pedals...

11 posts in this topic

I've never used effects pedals before, but I just picked up a delay pedal because I found it at a huge discount. I've been messing around with it, and it's fun, but there's a constant hissing noise coming out of my amp when it's plugged in. Anybody know how or why this is happening, or how to prevent it? It almost makes me want to never use the damn thing again. I have absolutely no experience with this sort of thing,

Your amp cable might be fucked up- try using a new one. Pedals are pretty awesome (once you get them to work). I'm with you tho, I'm by no means an expert.

Well when I plug my guitar directly into the amp it sounds fine, but when I run it through the pedal first there's some extra feedback that I don't want, even if the pedal is deactivated.

might be a dodgy connection in the pedal, it might be a shitty cheap pedal? 

10 minutes ago, Kay said:

might be a dodgy connection in the pedal, it might be a shitty cheap pedal? 

Very possible, it was used. I wish I could try it side by side with a new one to see if there's a difference.

sounds like a ground issue....is your pedal plugged into the wall?

1 hour ago, tom18222 said:

sounds like a ground issue....is your pedal plugged into the wall?

As opposed to an extension cord or something? It actually was plugged into an extension cord the other day when I tried it but I'll try it again plugging directly into the wall. Maybe that's it, would that make a difference?

plug it into the same outlet that the guitar amp is plugged into

42 minutes ago, tom18222 said:

plug it into the same outlet that the guitar amp is plugged into

I'll give that a try later today. The way the outlets in this room are placed is really annoying so I'm gonna have to rearrange things for that to work.

are you running it on a battery? Ive had pedals, a delay one specifically, make some very weird noises, to the point where i thought it was broken and all it needed was a new battery.

26 minutes ago, knapton said:

are you running it on a battery? Ive had pedals, a delay one specifically, make some very weird noises, to the point where i thought it was broken and all it needed was a new battery.

It's running on a power cord.

I haven't tried plugging it into the same wall outlet as my amp yet because my amp is in my closet and the pedal's power cord is short and I don't want to have to stand in my closet to play the guitar. haha. Sometime I'll rearrange stuff in my room and test it out.