From Punk Guitars to EDM (Tom did this to me)

jordidanen95

After years of playing guitar and playing in bands....I kinda lost interest in the guitar and started producing electronic music on my pc.

I really like modern EDM, Deephouse and 80s Retrowave. So i always try to combine those elements.

I was watching Tron: Legacy a few weeks ago and had this Angsty Idea. This is just the main idea, yet to come up with a cool bridge..or maybe play around with the accents a little.

I would really like some opinions :) (Still is still very new for me, although i'm getting better with mixing and production)

(I'm not a tom bot, but he really inspired me to do it...to try and do stuff that i'm not familliar with)

Ps. This is something i did back when i was 15...With lyrics 30x more cringy than First Date

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can totally relate to this. From 14-18 years old, all I could ever write was pop punk music. Then I started writing more alt rock stuff, then as much as I hate to say it, Tom inspired me with his AVA crap, and my music taste just expanded. I got into bands like Refused, the Cure, The Naked + Famous. It's funny because outside of the Dream Walker & Chasing Shadows, I don't like AVA that much. I like the ideas of AVA, literally every song he writes has an idea or two that is fucking great. But he'll always have around 2-5 songs on each album where he can pull it off without Mark & Travis IMO. But even those songs would be just as good or probably better with the input from Mark & Travis haha. But it's just weird, how a band I don't really like that much (AVA) has massively influenced me.

And believe me, any lyrics you write as a teenager will be cringe. I like to look back on my lyrics without making myself cringe and if I can do that, then I'll forever be proud of what I came up with. I'm not proud of anything I wrote before 4 years ago haha.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

I can totally relate to this. From 14-18 years old, all I could ever write was pop punk music. Then I started writing more alt rock stuff, then as much as I hate to say it, Tom inspired me with his AVA crap, and my music taste just expanded. I got into bands like Refused, the Cure, The Naked + Famous. It's funny because outside of the Dream Walker & Chasing Shadows, I don't like AVA that much. I like the ideas of AVA, literally every song he writes has an idea or two that is fucking great. But he'll always have around 2-5 songs on each album where he can pull it off without Mark & Travis IMO. But even those songs would be just as good or probably better with the input from Mark & Travis haha. But it's just weird, how a band I don't really like that much (AVA) has massively influenced me.

And believe me, any lyrics you write as a teenager will be cringe. I like to look back on my lyrics without making myself cringe and if I can do that, then I'll forever be proud of what I came up with. I'm not proud of anything I wrote before 4 years ago haha.

So true! All the stuff i came up with during the age of 14-18 was poppunk inspired. I love the naked + famous and the cure by the way!

AVA is good but i grew over the WDNTW - Love 2 era. I adore The Dream Walker and the later E.P's. My music taste now goes from Post-hardcore bands like Fightstar to Madonna....I love so many music styles now.

I actually was into hardrock at the age of 13 but i discovered i wasn't a Jimmy Page or a slash. I made peace with the fact i was more of a Tom Delonge kind of guy. Not a master in anything i do...but i want to learn a bit from everything...guitars, piano, Computer programs..

Anyway...I made a bedroom record when i was 15...and even though i couldn't sing at that time, I love how influenced i was by Mark and Tom as a teen....Like most of us were. From 0:25 all you can hear is blink influenced songwriting haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jordidanen95 said:

So true! All the stuff i came up with during the age of 14-18 was poppunk inspired. I love the naked + famous and the cure by the way!

AVA is good but i grew over the WDNTW - Love 2 era. I adore The Dream Walker and the later E.P's. My music taste now goes from Post-hardcore bands like Fightstar to Madonna....I love so many music styles now.

I actually was into hardrock at the age of 13 but i discovered i wasn't a Jimmy Page or a slash. I made peace with the fact i was more of a Tom Delonge kind of guy. Not a master in anything i do...but i want to learn a bit from everything...guitars, piano, Computer programs..

Anyway...I made a bedroom record when i was 15...and even though i couldn't sing at that time, I love how influenced i was by Mark and Tom as a teen....Like most of us were. From 0:25 all you can hear is blink influenced songwriting haha.

Haha, yeah a lot of this is typical blink sounding. Unfortunately I never recorded my old songs when I was that age. I did however put some of them on guitar pro, and I still have some of the files to this day, but they only open up on Logic Pro, which automatically gives each instrument specific instruments. So they don't sound like guitar pro songs anymore. I stopped using guitar pro like 5 years ago, and moved straight onto Logic & Pro Tools, so I'm able to record my ideas down now.

Took me a while to get used to recording on Logic & Pro Tools, as back then I literally thought anything that was in tune and in time was good sounding. I didn't know shit like too much reverb, compression. Then other stuff like having high gain levels, I just really didn't have a clue what I was doing when I started out.

It was the WDNTW album that massively influenced me. It came out in 2006 and at the time I just hated it outside of like 2-3 songs. But someone bought the album for me at Xmas in 2008, and I just heard it and fell in love with songs like The War, Start the Machine, Valkyrie Missile (although I thought that first minute of the song was pointless and still do to this day). That said, I was still in my punk phase. I went from blink, New Found Glory, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Green Day, Offspring to bands like Sex Pistols, Rancid, NOFX. Blink and Green Day stuck by me though, as they changed their sound as I grew up.

U2 was always a band I liked since I started listening to music around 1999-2000. Two of the first songs I heard by them were a Beautiful Day & Elevation. But AVA came along, and around 2009-2010ish I started to explore the bands that Tom was into, like the Cure & U2. A Letter to Elise became one of my favourite songs but there's also other songs by them I fell in love with. Naked + Famous played Reading and Leeds in 2011 or 2012, I forgot the year, but I remember streaming the festival on my laptop, and they were on it, and straight away I loved their music.

So the Naked + Famous probably had a big influence on me. Funnily enough, their 2nd album is very 80s sounding. I'm a fan of bands from that era (although some started in the 70s). Bands like Queen, U2, the Cure, the Police, Ramones. Started listening to the other bands from the punk rock scene, like Clash, Bad Religion, Pennywise. Got into bands like Refused as well as I heard Tom talking about them on the radio, and that New Noise song was then played, and straight away I loved the electronic intro. Then I got into other bands like Fugazi. Eventually came back to Sum 41 to listen to their Chuck album which I fell in love with. Got into AFI as I loved the fact they started to sound like the Cure.

Fightstar are a band I like, but I only enjoy their first album. Never really gave their later albums a proper listen because I couldn't get into them, but their first I happen to be a big fan of. Mono is one of my favourite songs. But all this started because of Tom. His influences made me listen to them bands. And whenever a new band such as the Naked + Famous came along with their electronic stuff, I just loved it straight away. And all this shows in the stuff I write nowadays haha.