Clarke v Speedo  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better player?

• Clarke
    • Speedo

i'm only going to comment on riff accuracy:

speedo 2/10.

clarke 7/10.

speedo, dude, you gotta drop all those open chords. tom wouldn't be caught dead playing an open A or D in 96/97. waggy is played mid-board. you absolutely butchered carousel. why only the verse part for m+m's? scared to hammer 'n' pull?

clarke, decent. good tones. what's the second half of the riff you played in dumpweed? that's your own invention. great job on zulu.

• Like 1

Honestly you both are pretty good and it's kind of difficult to choose between the two. The fact that Clarke played while standing up without any issues kind of gives him an edge, I suppose.

Current rankings:

Clarke/Speedo (display proficient skill)

Ghent (good comedic tone)

[Power Gap]

Oliver (out of tune WMAA -25 pts)

Good work, fellas. Speedo could have benefited from a better guitar tbh.

1 minute ago, Clarke said:

Thank you.  The Dumpweed riff is how Tom often played it live.  If you take a look at Dumpweed live at Reading Festival '03, he plays the riff that way after the first chorus.

ah ok. i only saw tom play it once, in 99. he didn't do it then.

i still play the dude ranch tracks as they were played live (lotsa extra barre octaves, mostly because tom was bored on tour) so i hear ya.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barry said:

Honestly you both are pretty good and it's kind of difficult to choose between the two. The fact that Clarke played while standing up without any issues kind of gives him an edge, I suppose.

Current rankings:

Clarke/Speedo (display proficient skill)

Ghent (good comedic tone)

[Power Gap]

Oliver (out of tune WMAA -25 pts)

Good work, fellas. Speedo could have benefited from a better guitar tbh.

Yeah, I could have! Shitty washburn guitar!

57 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

speedo 2/10.

clarke 7/10.

speedo, dude, you gotta drop all those open chords. tom wouldn't be caught dead playing an open A or D in 96/97. waggy is played mid-board. you absolutely butchered carousel. why only the verse part for m+m's? scared to hammer 'n' pull?

clarke, decent. good tones. what's the second half of the riff you played in dumpweed? that's your own invention. great job on zulu.

Yeah, I did what I could with learning these by ear Wednesday night. Some of the things I played a certain way because it set up something else.

Also, like I said ... completely not a lead player I wasn't going to attempt to play the hammer on and pull offs. No shame in that.

3 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Would love to see a Davey-esque video

i'm thinking about three clips: cheshire cat / uranus / dude ranch. i will play every track in entirety with the original recording low in the background. then i will cut together the best stuff. if people like the guitar one, i'll think about doing a bass one too.

Both pretty solid, I went with Clarke because I like his tone and he looks more comfortable playing the songs with no crazy mistakes. He also had the luxury of splicing together whichever clips he wanted, so major props to Speedo for just busting out the 4 minute mash-up in one take. Fun competition!

I thought these were both really good. I had a tough time voting. Clarke's medley was clean with the correct tones to each song and didn't have any mistakes. I thought it sounded great. Matt's sounded great too but there were a couple mistakes and not all the riffs were exactly correct, but he did his medley in one take with really cool transitions. I ultimately went with Clarke, but I think the only real loser here is Oliver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

speedo 2/10.

clarke 7/10.

You better be the best damn Cheshire era guitarist I've ever heard. You're approaching Oliver level with your critiques now.. the pressure is mounting!

That was good for both. I fell like Clarke was more accurate and powerful, so I voted him, although there are some tibdibs which I assume there are personal inputs. But overall, sounded pretty convincent.

What I would like to see, although it can be a little boring, is how you resolve the transitions between some riffs and the power cords that come after them. For example, one the intro of WMAA ends, the way Tom connects it to the power chords, or vice versa, when he comes fro mthe power chords to the main riff again. Those are not difficult parts, but they can be a little tricky, like when you pass from the intro on Dumpweed to the second riff.

I enjoyed both videos. Thanks, guys!

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

You better be the best damn Cheshire era guitarist I've ever heard. You're approaching Oliver level with your critiques now.. the pressure is mounting!

i can't speak for skill. and if you've noticed, i've refrained from bragging about any prowess i might possess. i can only cop to have been playing blink on the guitar since 1995.