Parking Lot - California Deluxe Single (March 17th)

NotNow

57 minutes ago, Nasa said:

After a few more listens, the song is still okay to me. The lyrics are generic but that's to be expected. Na na nas are annoying and cliche but that's to be expected too. I like the drums and guitar though. They stand out more in this track. I also feel better about Skiba's presence. He performs well on this song. I think the biggest thing for me is that this song just sounds...messy lol. I don't know how else to put it. I feel like there's wayyyy too much going on.

Agree. The song falls all over and it does it on a chaothic pace. Speaking about this, I will always remember a quote from Mr Keith Richards: "A painter's got a canvas. The writer's got reams of empty paper. A musician has silence."; and basically, you don't have to fill every single bar to death with music.

Also, I liked the old school Chicago refferences because I've been following Matt and Alkaline Trio since yestercentury, so it kinda connects with that, but that's all I've got from this song.

57 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

THANK YOU.  I don't get why Matt gets this free pass just because they desperately needed to drop Tom. He SUCKS.  Just churns out horrible generic pop melodies and sounds like he doesn't even write or play guitar.  Not what I had in mind at all after following Alk3.

He is slowly becoming the biggest sell out I can recently think of.  He has no say in anything, no inspiration whatsoever, just raking in cash.  Says the same script in every interview. What makes this any less of a cash grab for Skibba than it was for douchey Tom. He contributes basically nothing so far.

I have to agree with this to some extent. Despite the fact that there are some little Skiba-ish moments in California that have his signature, pretty buried in all the Feldy mess (to be honest), I can barely recognize in 'new blink songwritting' the guy who wrote Radio, 97, We Have Had Enough, Queen Of Pain, Hell Yes, Clavicle.. .I mean, fuck it, I don't even recognize the Skiba who wrote commercial poppy songs like Mercy Me, Help Me, This Addiction or She Lied To The FBI. That's the same reason that make me suspect that the Feldy-filter is so strong when it comes to Hoppus and Skiba provinding their own songwritting.

So, I mostly have changed my thoughs about Matt filling in blink. I guess there were several factors for that when happened (friendship with Mark and Travis, and what not), and I agree he provides something (even if it's tiny) to the sound... in fact, I still think the chorus on Left Alone, I mean the main melody, is the best part on California aside the Bored to Death bridge -and to me sounds like Skiba, and was confirmed on interview-, but it's pretty evident he's just playing here the money card too. Which I can understand, as long as all this production-wise-factory-bullshit doesn't affect in any sense to Alkaline Trio next albums.

I still have faith in finding something interesting on the rest of the songs. We'll see.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

Dude you had me until you downplayed kill bill volumes like that... One of my favorite films of all time

I love Kill Bill, but they are not the best Tarantino movies in my opinion, I'd probably put them around number 4 or 5.  Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs both definitely rank higher.  And then Hateful 8 and Django are about on the same level as Kill Bill is for me.

21 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Agreed. Sorry Ghent, I know that it's more fun to like things and I always want to like things, but lashing out at Neighborhoods or people who liked that album doesn't make this era better.

I was a main defender of Neighborhoods here. love that album while acknowledging its faults. There were a lot of blind haters of Neighborhoods here and I used to argue with them all the time.

Sound familiar? Yup. Same thing will happen with this one.

#ghentadamus

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

I was a main defender of Neighborhoods here. love that album while acknowledging its faults. There were a lot of blind haters of Neighborhoods here and I used to argue with them all the time.

#ghentadamus

Not so sure about that Ghent, I think today's release could mean the tide is turning more in my favor on the idea that we will one day look back on Feldman and see how he took the band down a bad path.

If I were you I'd be worried, I know I am, was this piece of shit song really suppose to showcase the deluxe album? Please tell me this was just a throwaway track, if they are looking at this one as single material, I very much weep for the future man.

15 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Believe me, Kill Bill is one of my favourites. I tried hard to put California and Disc 2 to Django & Hateful Eight, seeing as their westerns, and Django got a grammy nomination too. Django is also one of my favourites. Very hard to have a decent Tarantino comparison to blink albums. California can't be Jackie Brown, Death Proof either, because it's still a popular album that hit number one. Those two weren't popular.

Fair enough, I thought you were basing it on quality. That makes sense. And yes H8 was nothing like Django tonally so I agree.  Except you could argue the 'N' word could be related to the whoas / nanas usage.

I think if you throw true romance and dusk till dawn in there it might work...Dude Ranch is obviously Res Dogs though and Enema Pulp Fiction.  

6 minutes ago, knapton said:

This is even a boring pop punk song though. Like I just cant believe theres an audience that actually like this kind of music out there. 

i don't even link it up with the pop punk i listen to, which is miles away from the ATL/fluffy pop side of things. for me its just the fact that i love those 3 guys and enjoy hearing music from them

6 minutes ago, Ghent said:

#ghentadamus

Following your logic, everything that got bad chritics once will be loved in the end...

Mediocre will stay mediocre and that's what will happen with the generic California cycle...

19 minutes ago, Osgod said:

100% agree!

Blink was always that special band for me, now it's just a generic band like all the other pop-punk bands out there...

I used to argue for Cali that every other pop punk generic band out there doesn't have Mark on vocals/bass and Travis on Drums is a key differentiator still...which is true for the most part.. But even Mark is changing his vocals up to 'fit in' or whatever Feldman is feeding him..

3 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Not so sure about that Ghent, I think today's release could mean the tide is turning more in my favor on the idea that we will one day look back on Feldman and see how he took the band down a bad path.

If I were you I'd be worried, I know I am, was this piece of shit song really suppose to showcase the deluxe album? Please tell me this was just a throwaway track, if they are looking at this one as single material, I very much weep for the future man.

better get that tuner fired up, Blink is gonna be looking for a new guitarist once Feldy runs the Skiba-ship into the ground!

• Like 2

i still believe natives is criminally underrated. the bridge could have been more interesting, but i love that song so much. that's the sound i wish modern day blink hit just a little more. while it clearly will be in the minority moving forward, songs like san diego still give me hope

• Like 1

Just now, bennett said:

i still believe natives is criminally underrated. the bridge could have been better, but i love that song. that's the sound i wish modern day blink hit just a little more. songs like san diego still give me hope

Yes, Natives is one of my favorite post-reunion blink songs!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Oh brother.  I personally enjoy this path, not at all bored of the album like I got within a year of Neigborhoods.  So maybe you'll feel redeemed when two more people in the future change their mind to match yours.  But I'll always be grateful that they went to Feldmann for this album cuz I still love it.

18 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I love Kill Bill, but they are not the best Tarantino movies in my opinion, I'd probably put them around number 4 or 5.  Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs both definitely rank higher.  And then Hateful 8 and Django are about on the same level as Kill Bill is for me.

I saw kill bill entirety again not too long ago and volume 2 blew me away..It all just kind of clicked the genius and of it..Ppl get caught up in the action too much with KB.

Vol 2 is in the top 3 for me..  H8 is the first Tarantino movie I didn't love. 

But that's me, everyone has their Tarantino list.

Meh. Song is definitely forgettable. Hopefully we get a couple decent tracks when the entire thing drops.. I also am saddened by the fact that they to seem to be catering to high school kids with this shitty sound.. lyrics are seriously some of the worst I've heard. I'm going to start praying now that Feldman stays the fuck away from the next blink album.