Parking Lot - California Deluxe Single (March 17th)

NotNow

Song is better than anything on California besides Cynical.

- This is literally a mostly good song that someone went and took a shit all over with the production. Many good pieces that are used in the wrong ways. No sense of composition.

- The gang vocals sound so fucking bad holy shit.

- Also the non-word vocals are so ridiculously cringey that I won't even complain about them further, just not worth it.

- And once again we have two of punk's best lyricists writing the most insipid, generic, clearance bin, artificially teenage lyrics ever. STOP NAMEDROPPING LOCATIONS AND INVOKING THE ALBUMS MADE WHEN YOU WERE ACTIVE MEMBERS OF THOSE SCENES PLEASE. THANKS.

6/10.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Reading through the comments elsewhere, seems like most casual people like the song. 

For a bonus song that isn't a single the reception seems positive among the mentally stable :) 

I know you try to be funny but that's just lame...you were going to like it no matter what (yeah, you said it's not great but you are going to like everything they release these days). I, and I assume many others, gave it a fair chance and it's ok...but generic and mediocre and I'm sure Blink is capable of doing much better. 

It also hypocritical that you Feldybots diss Tom because of repetitive Whohohohs but those Nananas are used to an extend where it's getting embarrassing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Reading through the comments elsewhere, seems like most casual people like the song. 

For a bonus song that isn't a single the reception seems positive among the mentally stable :) 

You're gonna have to give sources? Are they people that have been blink fans? I can see pop punk fans liking the song a lot but I haven't seen any place that is a community for blink fans that have remotely responded well.

• Like 1

On vacation, was at a zoo by myself today when this dropped. Ignored the tiger exhibit to step to the side and listen...

First vibe was: yay Matt, yay some guitars, ugh the guitar sounds like a pillow is in front of the amp, ugh NaNas, ugh Mark pretending he's 15. 

I've listened probably 30x since then, it's a decent catchy banger, but I like 90% of California better than this. I did like how this song seems slightly less "polished" and auto tuned, so that's a positive sign.

I'm sure it will grow on me like California did, but I just feel like the lyrics are so damn cheesy. It's like they are forcing a genre instead of just creating what comes to them naturally IMHO.

Stoked for new music, just slightly concerned this was their choice for the first release from it. Just trying to remind myself that these are "bonus" songs and not a new album.

I get sick of the holier than thou attitude the Cali/Feldy/Skiba supporters have. It's like their natural reaction to criticism is to act better than everyone else, like they get a badge for being best blink-182 fan and everyone's opinion that differs is just jaded or outdated or old. Good for you. You like 3link better than old blink with Tom. Go listen to Cali for the thousandth time and watch Skiba fuck up Carousel on YouTube so you can feel better about your opinions if you can't handle someone else's.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vic vinegar said:

I get sick of the holier than thou attitude the Cali/Feldy/Skiba supporters have. It's like their natural reaction to criticism is to act better than everyone else, like they get a badge for being best blink-182 fan and everyone's opinion that differs is just jaded or outdated or old. Good for you. You like 3link better than old blink with Tom. Go listen to Cali for the thousandth time and watch Skiba fuck up Carousel on YouTube so you can feel better about your opinions if you can't handle someone else's.

Then stop coming on here. You don't need to be a huge fucking prick like you were in this post. Go fuck yourself bro.

• Like 3

This Deluxe edition bullshit is absolutely tasteless! I could understand it if it were 10 or 20 year old or they re-released it with demos and unreleased tracks. Now they are putting out the same album for the second time less than a year later with bonus tracks on it. It's sickening! I mean, they have 11 new songs, they could've called it California 2 or something. It's also a pretty annoying theme. I think the idea of writing about California and nostalgic memories of youth must be really old, as that's what Tom's songs on that demo were about. But in fact, Tom did it much better!

As for this song. The guitar sounds chuggy and like it's straight out of some kind of posicore shit. The melody is as generic as it gets. The drums are annoying. The lyrics on the chorus are Billie Joe Armstrong uno, dos tre, Revolution Radio era cringeworthy. The rest of the lyrics might be even worse! Matt's vocals are ok. I don't mind Mark's vocals either, but it sounds really out of place when he starts singing. They really need to stop the taking turns vocal shit in my opinion. This whole, we grew up doing this and it was fun and we had the time of our lives wooo shit is getting on my nerves. I love a great trip down memory lane song, but these songs are overdoing it to a point where it just makes me angry. Also, I have no idea who these songs are supposed to be catering to? Kids today? Why are they putting in all these 80's bands? And why do they have to reference really good songs that would rather make me listen to those than this? 

Best part of the song were the highest vocals in the second verse, those were cool. ANd I guess the calming down chorus felt nice. 

Going Away to College is a brilliant pop song!

I loved Jar-Jar!

• Like 2

i wasnt really feeling it with first few listens on my shitty phone, but damn I came home and preordered the album and got the download and been listening on my desktop with surround sound and I LOVE the song, wish they were touring NY area again, Id love to hear it live. cant wait for the rest!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thongrider said:

This Deluxe edition bullshit is absolutely tasteless! I could understand it if it was 10 or 20 year old or they re-released it with demos and unreleased tracks. Now they are putting out the same album for the second time less than a year later with bonus tracks on it. It's sickening! I mean, they have 11 new songs, they could've called it California 2 or something. It's also a pretty annoying theme. I think the idea of writing about California and nostalgic memories of youth must be really old, as that's what Tom's songs on that demo were about. But in fact, Tom did it much better!

As for this song. The guitar sounds chuggy and like it's straight out of some kind of posicore shit. The melody is as generic as it gets. The drums are annoying. The lyrics on the chorus are Billie Joe Armstrong uno, dos tre, Revolution Radio era cringeworthy. The rest of the lyrics might be even worse! Matt's vocals are ok. I don't mind Mark's vocals either, but it sounds really out of place when he starts singing. They really need to stop the taking turns vocal shit in my opinion. This whole, we grew up doing this and it was fun and we had the time of our lives wooo shit is getting on my nerves. I love a great trip down memory lane song, but these songs are overdoing it to a point where it just makes me angry. Also, I have no idea who these songs are supposed to be catering to? Kids today? Why are they putting in all these 80's bands? And why do they have to reference really good songs that would rather make me listen to those than this? 

Best part of the song were the highest vocals in the second verse, those were cool. ANd I guess the calming down chorus felt nice. 

Going Away to College is a brilliant pop song!

I loved Jar-Jar!

They likely have contractual obligations, I don't know how anyone can be upset about it being released as a deluxe edition. Would you rather have the songs or not have them at all for at least a year+.

Just now, NotNow said:

They likely have contractual obligations, I don't know how anyone can be upset about it being released as a deluxe edition. Would you rather have the songs or not have them at all for at least a year+.

I'd be upset if they were charging li,e 25$ for it but it's actually normal deluxe pricing.

I never thought I'd see the day that a blink forum has more in common with the weezer board, endlessly dissecting the production and minute details of each song lol. All you guys irrationally hating any new pop-punk influence come off as sad since you don't want to realize or admit that's how popular punk music sounds these days and they would be idiots not to try and sound modern. No amount of whining changes the fact that the outside world doesn't care about all these gripes, not even most of blink's fan base. It's like how most of you acted like Mark being friends with Fall Out Boy was some big betrayal which is equally as sad to any outsider looking in. Like it's weird obsessive shit.

They've gotta change with the tides somewhat, so they're not always going to sound like how you "think" they should sound.

This all coming from me, a lifelong fan with a blink tattoo, been browsing this board since high school in 2003.

Anyway, I think the song sounds great and is about what I expected as a continuation of a record I thought was pretty good.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Brew-mont said:

I never thought I'd see the day that a blink forum has more in common with the weezer board, endlessly dissecting the production and minute details of each song lol. All you guys irrationally hating any new pop-punk influence come off as sad since you don't want to realize or admit that's how popular punk music sounds these days and they would be idiots not to try and sound modern. No amount of whining changes the fact that the outside world doesn't care about all these gripes, not even most of blink's fan base. It's like how most of you acted like Mark being friends with Fall Out Boy was some big betrayal which is equally as sad to any outsider looking in. Like it's weird obsessive shit.

They've gotta change with the tides somewhat, so they're not always going to sound like how you "think" they should sound.

This all coming from me, a lifelong fan with a blink tattoo, been browsing this board since high school in 2003.

Anyway, I think the song sounds great and is about what I expected as a continuation of a record I thought was pretty good.

Um no, the song just sucks.

• Like 1

Just finished about 10 listens. It's a decent song. Not bad, but not great either. It just feels a bit...disjointed. Thoughts:

• I don't really get the intro guitar riff. It has potential, but it doesn't go anyway or tie into anything. It just kinda sits there.
  • Pick slide sounds cheesy as hell
  • Skiba's voice sounds great, but the lyrics are a bit "meh" for me. Someone said this above, but I'm not really a fan of rattling off names of pop  (punk?) culture references. As someone who didn't live through that time period, I just can't really connect with the song
  • I get that this is California Deluxe, but how many times are we going to say the word "California"? I feel like we're approaching Red Hot Chili Peppers / Golden Showers in the Golden State territory...

And finally, I say this as a pretty staunch Feldy supporter and big fan of California (at least compared to the rest of you here):

• For love of God, stop with the Na Na Nas. Just stop. It worked on Sober and No Future. But not here. They literally add NOTHING. It's not a memorable hook. I feel like Feldy has this ingrained fear of white space in a song. He can't just let the song breath - like he feels there has to be vocals. Use a guitar riff! Use a synth! Use a bass! Hell, just use nothing!

I'm still buying Deluxe and I'll probably enjoy the hell out of it. But I feel like there are really obvious fixes that could dramatically improve the listening experience.

• Like 4