Parking Lot - California Deluxe Single (March 17th)

NotNow

21 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Up All Night is kind of that.  Its not really midlife crisis, but its about the pressures of adult life and how that all weighs down on you.  As I recall some of the very people complaining about blink focusing on teenage life, hated and still hate Up All Night as well. 

I didn't like up all night much at all, still was genuine writing and I appreciate it more now that we have the Cali cash cow formula.  

I really hate this whole "you don't like new sounding blink, time to find a new band" bollocks. 

I've been listening to blink since 1999, they're my favourite band since pretty much then as well. Whether you like or dislike a song/album/performance etc, you have just as much right to discuss it in here as anyone else.

I think the new song is okay as well (musically at least) before anyone jumps down my throat.

• Like 1

This song sounds like something a band wearing "Defend Pop-punk"-shirts would release. I don't like it to be honest, blink to me has always been something I can identify from the get go no matter what record it is, this sounds like every other bro pop-punk band out there with the exception of the terrible voices which blink thankfully lacks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I really hate this whole "you don't like new sounding blink, time to find a new band" bollocks. 

I've been listening to blink since 1999, they're my favourite band since pretty much then as well. Whether you like or dislike a song/album/performance etc, you have just as much right to discuss it in here as anyone else.

I think the new song is okay as well (musically at least) before anyone jumps down my throat.

I mean you should love this song right? You are a big fan of modern pop punk.

I am not, which is why it's not one of my absolute favs from this cycle. Same with No Future. But it's not the end of the world. It's one song. I'm sure there will be others I really love. Everything they release doesn't have to be universally praised or condemned or picked apart. It's a deluxe bonus album.

The meltdowns are ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Yeah, this is the worst argument. "Find a new band," "don't even listen to their new song," "delete your account on a blink message board."

blink-182 is my favorite band and has had more of an influence on me than any other band or musician ever has by a long shot. Of course I'm going to listen to their new music no matter what. Doesn't mean I have to love everything they do.

I think the new song is okay too. But I don't want the band to continue in this direction.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I mean you should love this song right? You are a big fan of modern pop punk.

I am not, which is why it's not one of my absolute favs from this cycle. Same with No Future. But it's not the end of the world. It's one song. I'm sure there will be others I really love. Everything they release doesn't have to be universally praised or condemned or picked apart. It's a deluxe bonus album.

The meltdowns are ridiculous.

But thats the thing, overall I hate modern pop-punk.  But No Future is one of my favorite blink songs, and I really like this one too.  I don't think its really right to say anyone "should" or "shouldn't" like something.  We all have different and often indescribable tastes that make us all unique in our own way.  i can't put my finger on why I love California yet hate most all other modern pop-punk, I think a large part of it is that most other acts have just awful grating voices, I genuinely love Matt and Mark's voices, and I think that goes a long way in the genre.  But it's also more than that too, though I'm not entirely sure how to explain what more it is that draws me to an album like California yet most other acts in the genre just repel me away in comparison even when blink aren't doing anything revolutionary. 

• Like 2

The instrumental of the song is realy good.

Lots of guitar accents and little breaks...they are trying something a little bit different from california 1. I like that there are more guitar riffs and melodic stuff involved.

but the lyrics really do drag the song down after cooling off from my ''new blink song hype''

as a 22 year old....i love to hear a song like this every now and then. but if you really think about how mark is 45.....yeah that's cringy. I like stupid lyrics that are obviously ment as being immature..like Build this pool/Brohemian Rhapsody. but this is not one of them.

And i like a song like this every once in a while. The thing is...we now have Kings Of The Weekend,Teenage Satellites, SOOHM, and now Parking lot.

I actuallly really like Kings and Satellites. but This is to much. its the same old ''even though im mid 40...look at how angsty i am..blasting the cure at the parking lot...so edgy....lets stay up all night, lets get out of town and never come back'' 

but yeah i fucking love the Instrumentals. i would say this song is a  2.9/5. giving this a 3 would not feel right.

Also, I'm so happy im dutch and even though i can understand anything in english...it will always be less cringy than for you native speakers. It's less direct for me.....lots of english songs get away easier outside of english speaking countries.

It makes sense as a first song to share and as an album opener.

There's an obvious Rancid/NOFX/90s Epitaph punk influence to the song. It's kind of an "ode" to that era of music and its sonic and poetic ideas. I don't think they've ever done that so explicitly.

You could almost call this song "Anthem Part Three," to be honest. From the lightning speed drum beats to the drum-god fills to the suburban-pride lyrics about drinking and parking lots and trouble, it fills that niche on the record.

It's also a bit more operatic and musically complex than most of the California songs. Lots of changes and parts and rhythms and melodies. Reminds me a slight bit of American Idiot-era Green Day, in that regard.

Good tune.

• Like 2