Parking Lot - California Deluxe Single (March 17th)

NotNow

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

i'm sure they got the necessary artistic freedom from the new label to make a new album (started in early 2015), but also, they obviously got a deadline (the album should have been finished by spring 2016). well, the band replaced a member, so they had to acclimate to the new lineup, had to learn how to work together. it would have been a miracle if they could write a great album on their own in the first year (yeah, we thought they would be able, but let's face it, it wasn't an easy thing at all).

i guess they tried hard to prove the label that the new band is just as good as the old, they wrote 20 songs in 2015, but those songs were probably far from finished, and maybe they were far from the label's notion. the label obviously did not want to push the deadline by a year, they wanted the perfect summer album out by the summer of 2016. so they hired john feldmann who is known for his crazy tempo (and he's arguably one of the most experienced pop-punk producers, even if he's not the best for blink). and they did it, with the help of the foxy studios, mark, matt and travis wrote the album that could be sold really well, it was a #1 album in most countries.

well, we can say we wanted something else. i'm sure mark, matt and travis also wanted something else (in the vein of what they originally wrote), but after they signed contracts with feldmann, that just could not happen... anyway, working with feldmann was probably enjoyable for them, they wrote 10-15 songs in a month, they did not have to stress that they run out of ideas (because feldmann could give them something anytime).

we don't know anything about their contracts, but as we can see, the label is still in the california period (they don't let the band release another album with another title). and as long as this contract lives, they will work in the same way. they don't use their songs from the pre-california sessions, they won't use another producer, because feldmann is part of the package. so the songs will be probably similar in a way.

so there's no point of using the same phrases everytime they release a new song. there's no point of being surprised that it's not entirely different than the previous songs. they are not "milking this easy method", they just can't make anything else from the available and required ingredients... there will be a time when the band will talk about the dark sides of the current situation, but at the moment they can't shittalk. (i do think they'll leave feldmann after the california-era.)

I want to agree with all of this, but John said yesterday I can't wait to make many more songs with you and mark said likewise. I think they just don't care and like the ease of where they are.

• Like 1

As someone who loves California and is excited for the deluxe album to sound similar, I want the next actual album to be more experimental, and if not the next album then at least the one after that, and I really really hope they can prove us wrong and manage to do that with Feldman since it doesn't seem like they're going to part ways with him. I think two albums with this style is fun but I'd like them to mix it up with their next album like they've always done in the past and maybe even take more time with the next recording and writing process because although I like California I think they have even more potential and could make something that's truly breathtaking if they put the effort and time

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NotNow said:

I want to agree with all of this, but John said yesterday I can't wait to make many more songs with you and mark said likewise. I think they just don't care and like the ease of where they are.

it could mean the california (+cali deluxe) recording era has officially ended, and both parties made a shoutout of how good their relationship is. from feldmann's perspective, he's living the dream when he's working with blink, he obviously wants to continue it. from mark's perspective, it can be the same (easy work, succesful songs), but it also can be just a polite gesture.

i doubt they will work together in this year. blink will tour in europe, then they go on their annual vacations. they may release the leftover songs around chrstmas or early next year... but the earliest the band will/can work on another set of songs is early 2018, more likely late 2018 (after a summer tour)... and it's so far from today.

i don't think their contract with feldmann is that long. so absolutely anything can happen. they can start work with another producer. or they can choose feldmann again, but surely, it must be a new contract. so i'm pretty sure they are "free" now (from feldmann).

15 hours ago, thongrider said:

People use B-sides synonymous with songs that didn't make the record now? 

Spot on.

Shame on those who do. Over the history there has been even better B-sides than the A side of the single. Maybe the idea of a B side is the idea of a kind of less important song -or just the not 'chosen one'-, that's why them were placed on the B side of a single back in the day, but is not even a minimal excuse for them to be bad or remains.

Anyway, this is not a disc of B sides.Label called it bonus tracks because they don't want to abandon the California cycle yet. Band has named it "another whole record even better than California". So...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

it could mean the california (+cali deluxe) recording era has officially ended, and both parties made a shoutout of how good their relationship is. from feldmann's perspective, he's living the dream when he's working with blink, he obviously wants to continue it. from mark's perspective, it can be the same (easy work, succesful songs), but it also can be just a polite gesture.

i doubt they will work together in this year. blink will tour in europe, then they go on their annual vacations. they may release the leftover songs around chrstmas or early next year... but the earliest the band will/can work on another set of songs is early 2018, more likely late 2018 (after a summer tour)... and it's so far from today.

i don't think their contract with feldmann is that long. so absolutely anything can happen. they can start work with another producer. or they can choose feldmann again, but surely, it must be a new contract. so i'm pretty sure they are "free" now (from feldmann).

Interesting.

Usually, label contracts are for like two albums. That's in general. And that's the main reason the actual label didn't want to break the California cycle yet, putting the new songs on a bonus disc for California: because the label probably didn't want that disc to be the second one of the contract. So, if this applies to Feldman, we're gonna get more Feldy on, at least, another record aside from the deluxe reissue of California.

that Feldmann sound is so uninspiring. I usually listen to songs way more if the sound is interesting and not so sterile and "perfect". Coming Home is way more natural sounding so thats one of the reasons i like it

for an example, High Violet by The National. That sound is mesmerizing! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

if blink has a contract with the label for 2 albums, and one is done, the second can be different. it's not set in stone that the label wants feldy for everything. (they needed him to get the work done in time.)

Can be (and I hope to), but I don't see the label agreeing with them going in a different direction after the success of California, to be honest. Labels don't mind about artistic purposes. I bet they we'll be fine if blink released 23 Californias in a row with the same level of success, hahaha.

14 hours ago, fran.182 said:

Probably alone on this and in no way happy to say it (just bummed): "Parking Lot" is my least favorite post-Dude Ranch blink song (not taking joke tracks into account).

Using "post Dude Ranch" as a positive thing is a thing?

9 hours ago, NotNow said:

It's alright guys in a couple years, we'll be looking at this era the same way Van Halen fans look at the Sammy hager years.

That's actually not a bad comparison haha.  I bet fans felt similiar back then, and hated the new styles of Van Halen that became popular.

Sammy Hager had some actual leadership qualities though.. They were trying to make new music yet, replacing a member, not necessarily milking the Van Helen name and playing a sell out version of themselves.

Maybe they were.. Wasn't too big into them to know.

• Like 1

I agree, Finn was fucking great for blink. Feldman is good at what he does but his style is throw away. Listen to all of finns other work, you can hear it just as well as you can in blink. The dude had it down, and blink was the perfect mix with him. Sucks he's gone and it won't ever get recreated. You would think mark (and Tom) would have picked it up from him and in marks case not let Feldman butcher the blink signature sound

• Like 1