What would you prefer?

Low Value Boy

What version of Blink would you prefer?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What version of blink-182 would you prefer?

• In it's current form with Skiba releasing the music they are now
    • In its previous state with Tom, maybe releasing an album every 4-5 years (if at all)

Hey Ghent, serious question, are album reviewers tombots too? Are they conspiracy theorists? Are they crazy? Insane? Hoping to see the band fail? Celelrbating? You are off the deep end.

Mike Damante at the Houston Chronicle said "Feldmann's style is all over the record, as most tracks sound too formulaic, similar and run together. Other tracks are way too commercial, even for a band the size of blink. ... California is ultimately a step back, rather a throwback."

David Anthony from The A.V. Club gave the album a C-, commenting, "California is the sound of Blink-182 desperately trying to remain relevant by outsourcing its creativity. [It] is another homogenous addition to Feldmann's growing résumé. But this time he unintentionally removed the soul of pop-punk's clown princes in the process."

Nina Corcoran from Consequence of Sound was similarly negative: "When not cranking the compression on the vocals, Feldmann ruins other songs with nonstop gimmicks: the piano interludes, the stiffened handclaps, the sappy title track."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Hey Ghent, serious question, are album reviewers tombots too? Are they conspiracy theorists? Are they crazy? Insane? Hoping to see the band fail? Celelrbating? You are off the deep end.

Mike Damante at the Houston Chronicle said "Feldmann's style is all over the record, as most tracks sound too formulaic, similar and run together. Other tracks are way too commercial, even for a band the size of blink. ... California is ultimately a step back, rather a throwback."

David Anthony from The A.V. Club gave the album a C-, commenting, "California is the sound of Blink-182 desperately trying to remain relevant by outsourcing its creativity. [It] is another homogenous addition to Feldmann's growing résumé. But this time he unintentionally removed the soul of pop-punk's clown princes in the process."

Nina Corcoran from Consequence of Sound was similarly negative: "When not cranking the compression on the vocals, Feldmann ruins other songs with nonstop gimmicks: the piano interludes, the stiffened handclaps, the sappy title track."

I bet they are gave To the Stars...demos, odds and ends 10/10, as well as Tom's kids novel. 

Blatant Tombots, no other explanation. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

You do realize that it's possible to accept that Feldmann contributed greatly to the album, yet still enjoy it...........right? Just as the actual band members have?

This isn't a conspiracy.

Also- Did you just bring up Feldmann again and scour the internet for quotes about him? Did he fuck your grandma or what?

Yep, from Wikipedia, but there is a link to each source.

Ghent you are the one saying it is a conspiracy, not me. You are the one making all kinds of ridiculous assumptions. Sure it is possible to like what Feldman has done with Blink, I never said otherwise.

It is also possible to dislike the album, just because you think it is not that great, and that Feldman's influence sucks. NOT because you are a Tombot, or crazy, or want to celebrate Blink's demise or any of that bullshit.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Yep, from Wikipedia, but there is a link to each source.

Ghent you are the one saying it is a conspiracy, not me. You are the one making all kinds of ridiculous assumptions. Sure it is possible to like what Feldman has done with Blink, I never said otherwise.

It is also possible to dislike the album, just because you think it is not that great, and that Feldman's influence sucks. NOT because you are a Tombot, or crazy, or want to celebrate Blink's demise or any of that bullshit.

You brought Feldmann up out of the blue again and tried to start an argument. It's overdone.

It's possible to like and dislike the album for a multitude of reasons.

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

You brought Feldmann up out of the blue again and tried to start an argument. It's overdone.

You're the one claiming the entire thing is a conspiracy. That people who dislike the album are just a few lone crazy tombots.

That shit needed correcting.

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

True. Then you should stop calling everybody a Tombot who doesn't think Blink's new direction is the best shit ever. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Osgod said:

True. Then you should stop calling everybody a Tombot who doesn't think Blink's new direction is the best shit ever. 

Not everyone. Just a large component. There are plenty of people with reasonable dislike of the new material.

18 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

You're the one claiming the entire thing is a conspiracy. That people who dislike the album are just a few lone crazy tombots.

That shit needed correcting.

wut?

I'm saying the people who constantly bring up Feldmann as if he has a gun to the band's head forcing them to do things are conspiracy theorists. (you)

The band clearly loves Feldmann and they are clearly proud of their work with him.

5 minutes ago, Osgod said:

Interesting...what is a "reasonable dislike" according to you?

"I just don't care for pop punk or polished music like this anymore, doesn't sound like the blink I grew to like after TOYPAJ. I'd rather they have got a more hands off producer and created something deeper and less radio friendly"

as opposed to:

"THIS SAWED OFF FUCKING PRICK IS CONTROLLING EVERYTHING ITS ALL A CASH GRAB OMG THEY SHOULD HAVE JUST KEPT TOM SKIBA SUCKS AT GUITAR OMG WHAT IS THIS ITS SO TERRIBLE BLINK IS DEAD"

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

"I just don't care for pop punk or polished music like this anymore, doesn't sound like the blink I grew to like after TOYPAJ. I'd rather they have got a more hands off producer and created something deeper and less radio friendly"

as opposed to:

"THIS SAWED OFF FUCKING PRICK IS CONTROLLING EVERYTHING ITS ALL A CASH GRAB OMG THEY SHOULD HAVE JUST KEPT TOM SKIBA SUCKS AT GUITAR OMG WHAT IS THIS ITS SO TERRIBLE BLINK IS DEAD"

A high percentage of the critics here on the board falls in the first segment you mentioned. But you can like it or not, Feldy has a strong impact on the sound, everybody can tell while listening to the songs, and therefore this is a major point of the discussion. You and some others are very quick with accusing others of being a "Tombot" when a lot of it is simply fair criticism.

3 minutes ago, Ghent said:

The fact that my flippant usage of "tombot" ruffles so many feathers is telling. It's been a staple term on this site for AGES, but since Tom left people really take offense to it.

That's because back in the day I'm guessing it meant "you like Tom more than Mark in Blink 182", but since he left, it gets used to say "you are not a Blink fan, you are a Tom-only fan"

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

The fact that my flippant usage of "tombot" ruffles so many feathers is telling. It's been a staple term on this site for AGES, but since Tom left people really take offense to it.

LOL what? Why is it "telling"?

It's just childish that when you see a point of view you don't like you immediately play the "Tombot card".

I mean it's obvious that the new direction and the heavy influence of Feldy won't receive a good reception from a lot of us long-time fans and that there will be discussions about it.

You and some others like it, the majority doesn't and that is fine.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Osgod said:

You and some others like it, the majority doesn't and that is fine.

Judging by the success of California, I would say the majority clearly approve!

7 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

That's because back in the day I'm guessing it meant "you like Tom more than Mark in Blink 182", but since he left, it gets used to say "you are not a Blink fan, you are a Tom-only fan"

Which is true for most tombots these days...Not all California haters are tombots, but all tombots hate California. That's why I use the term flippantly.

Plus I enjoy how upset some people get over it lol

• Like 1