What would you prefer?

Low Value Boy

What version of Blink would you prefer?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What version of blink-182 would you prefer?

• In it's current form with Skiba releasing the music they are now
    • In its previous state with Tom, maybe releasing an album every 4-5 years (if at all)

Never seen somebody get upset because of that term. It just shows that you are out of arguments in a normal discussion.

Sure, some people are clearly Tombots defending everything he does...pretty similar to what you do with Feldy...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

theres a lot of hardcore AVA fans who also happen to like California. I don't think you can definitely say there is any kind of 'fan' anymore. to me a Tom bot will always be someone who thinks AVA is amazing and that Tom is 'above' blink-182. thats a real Tombot. friggin' loons. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kay said:

theres a lot of hardcore AVA fans who also happen to like California. I don't think you can definitely say there is any kind of 'fan' anymore. to me a Tom bot will always be someone who thinks AVA is amazing and that Tom is 'above' blink-182. thats a real Tombot. friggin' loons. 

AVA is amazing: No

Tom is above Blink: Yes

I mean you can easily like AVA a lot and they have some great songs. I know people who don't care about Blink at all and think AVA is a good band.

Totally agree with the second point you made. Tom's arrogance and how he treated Blink was really tiresome for all of us and still talking about Blink while promoting his silly projects and crazy bullshit is lame.

2 minutes ago, Osgod said:

AVA is amazing: No

Tom is above Blink: Yes

I mean you can easily like AVA a lot and they have some great songs. I know people who don't care about Blink at all and think AVA is a good band.

Totally agree with the second point you made. Tom's arrogance and how he treated Blink was really tiresome for all of us and still talking about Blink while promoting his silly projects and crazy bullshit is lame.

Well what I meant was it's the combination that makes a Tom bot. someone isnt going to think Tom is above and beyond better than blink, but have no interest in his side projects.

18 hours ago, Osgod said:

Never seen somebody get upset because of that term. It just shows that you are out of arguments in a normal discussion.

Sure, some people are clearly Tombots defending everything he does...pretty similar to what you do with Feldy...:rolleyes:

Have a gander.

http://blink-182online.com/forums/index.php?/search/&q=tombot&type=forums_topic&page=1&author=Clarke

18 hours ago, Osgod said:

And yeah the album had success mainly as it was written for a specific audience and has a big marketing budget. 

I was referring to us die-hard Blink fans and among us it is seen very critical and got mostly bad receptions. 

This reminds me about that time in which blink did Enema and stepped up their game into the more commercial path. I think, somehow, California feels to us like Enema felt for the really old school blink fans back in the 90s.

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

The "success" of California is losing a grammy badly and having what little of their reputation left destroyed by having other people write their songs. Sad state of affairs.

I mean, getting nominated for a Grammy and losing is better than not getting nominated at all, right? It's not like that loss tarnished anything, they were all just stoked to be there.

As for their reputation being "destroyed by having other people write their songs" that really only offends a very small fraction of the hardcore fan base IMHO. Most people have no idea who really wrote any song by any band. I love Muse/311/Incubus/Linkin Park, etc. and I've never dug through their jewel case to see who all was credited on every song. 

California brought Blink back on the map, back on the radio, back on tour. At these shows it is crazy how many people sing along to all the new songs. I don't see how any of it can be considered a "failure" other than pissing off some hardcore fans with the Feldmann stuff. I honestly don't think they would've ever thought it would be as successful as it has been, considering the circumstances.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

I mean, getting nominated for a Grammy and losing is better than not getting nominated at all, right? It's not like that loss tarnished anything, they were all just stoked to be there.

As for their reputation being "destroyed by having other people write their songs" that really only offends a very small fraction of the hardcore fan base IMHO. Most people have no idea who really wrote any song by any band. I love Muse/311/Incubus/Linkin Park, etc. and I've never dug through their jewel case to see who all was credited on every song. 

California brought Blink back on the map, back on the radio, back on tour. At these shows it is crazy how many people sing along to all the new songs. I don't see how any of it can be considered a "failure" other than pissing off some hardcore fans with the Feldmann stuff. I honestly don't think they would've ever thought it would be as successful as it has been, considering the circumstances.

Right, but if they were so stoked on being there, why did they leave early? I think losing really knocked them off their high horse.

It's like if my parents paid for me to get nominated for class president (akin to the Grammys) and I lost the election. It's not good. I certainly wouldn't dip out early either.

Blink now has the blemish of having co-songwriters (look at California DX), and they no longer have the high ground at all with bands that use them. Green Day doesn't need any of that to remain on top, and they are.

I wouldn't qualify that with being more successful than they were 2 years ago.

37 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Right, but if they were so stoked on being there, why did they leave early? I think losing really knocked them off their high horse.

It's like if my parents paid for me to get nominated for class president (akin to the Grammys) and I lost the election. It's not good. I certainly wouldn't dip out early either.

Blink now has the blemish of having co-songwriters (look at California DX), and they no longer have the high ground at all with bands that use them. Green Day doesn't need any of that to remain on top, and they are.

I wouldn't qualify that with being more successful than they were 2 years ago.

You can tell they are happier though..

5 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

2nd place is the first loser in those Grammy situations. Its kind of like saying "You are in the running with 5 people to win $1 million" The high last from the moment you hear that to the moment they announce once of the other 5 guys won.

How are you going to feel? You don't walk away with an award in your hand.

Eh, it's not like they were randomly chosen for a raffle though. Being nominated IS an honor, it's just not the highest honor. 

9 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I'm a little curious about this angle too. California was obviously a big success commercially, but I think a lot of us figured that Mark+Travis+Skiba were going to give us something a lot better. They had tons of hype from being Blink AND from the coolness factor of adding Skiba to the mix. That novelty is gone though now, along with the trust and hope that came with the new lineup. But the flip side of that is, they may have added enough new fans to make up for those of us who aren't necessarily going to buy a copy of the next album.

I'm sure deep down Mark was a bit bummed, but they genuinely all seemed like they were just honored to be nominated in the first place. Regardless of if they won or not. Selfishly, I hope it bummed Mark out - a lot of people tend to write better stuff when they are hurt/down/depressed/etc. 

The point I'm making is I don't think anyone considers California a failure because it lost a Grammy. If anything I think it makes it even more of a success by being nominated in the first place IMO. 

It's not like people will hear HISALP on the radio and say "Omg this is from California which just lost at the Grammys!" and instantly hate it because of that. Most people have no idea who won, who was nominated, who lost, etc. I certainly wouldn't judge any type of "success" or "failure" based off of the stupid Grammys.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

I'm sure deep down Mark was a bit bummed, but they genuinely all seemed like they were just honored to be nominated in the first place. Regardless of if they won or not. Selfishly, I hope it bummed Mark out - a lot of people tend to write better stuff when they are hurt/down/depressed/etc. 

The point I'm making is I don't think anyone considers California a failure because it lost a Grammy. If anything I think it makes it even more of a success by being nominated in the first place IMO. 

It's not like people will hear HISALP on the radio and say "Omg this is from California which just lost at the Grammys!" and instantly hate it because of that. Most people have no idea who won, who was nominated, who lost, etc. I certainly wouldn't judge any type of "success" or "failure" based off of the stupid Grammys.

There is no way Mark is sad enough about almost winning a Grammy that it would influence the next album haha but I agree with everything else you said.

• Like 1