What would you prefer?

Low Value Boy

What version of Blink would you prefer?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What version of blink-182 would you prefer?

• In it's current form with Skiba releasing the music they are now
    • In its previous state with Tom, maybe releasing an album every 4-5 years (if at all)

Pretty dumb hypothetical.  Literally everybody would wish Tom didn't ever go insane and they just kept releasing music after Untitled.  That's not what happened.

So there's two options.  Have a mentally ill member who doesn't even like or respect the band anymore, and just cross your fingers he ever would release any new music at all.  While also controlling the band, yodeling, and adding space effects.  Or get a hyper productive band that is active, touring, and consistently writing new music.  And if you don't like California, cross your fingers they'll change it up on the next couple album cycles.

The odds are way more likely for option number 2.

I'm definitely leaning towards Tom now. I was 100% on board with Skiba for a while but if things continue the way they are, I'm gonna start losing interest. I mean, Parking Lot has already killed some of the excitement for California Deluxe for me (don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna eat it up and overplay it like crazy, I'm almost positive). I'm really holding out hope that their next actual album (NOT California Deluxe) is going to be different and sound closer to what I want blink-182 to sound like. If their next album ends up essentially being California Part 3, that's going to be massively disappointing.

Basically, I hope blink-182 doesn't become like New Found Glory and release album after album that sounds the same. NFG tried something very new and original when they released their album Coming Home in 2006, but then after that it's like the completely regressed, went back to their same exact pop-punk sound that they had before Coming Home, and they've never even attempted to make music that sounds remotely different in over a decade now. If blink-182 keeps pumping out California after California that would be the most annoying thing.

I want blink to continue to evolve, experiment, and take risks. If they stop doing that, my interest level will drop significantly. I used to consider NFG one of my top 3 favorite bands, but I barely get excited when they announce or release new music anymore, and I listen to each new album only a few times before I get bored. I don't want blink-182 to become like that for me.

Again, I have hope that their next album will be different. I really, really hope that it is. If not I will be 100% on the "I want Tom back" side of things, even uncommitted, delusional, dysfunctional Tom. Waiting forever to get Neighborhoods and DED was still a better payoff than what we're getting now in retrospect. This is a point of debate obviously because a lot of fans do not like either of those releases, but I like both of them a lot more than California. Getting a blink album with Tom every 5-6 years might be more preferable than getting lots of less-interesting new music all the time without him. It's really tough to say though because this is all conjecture. Who knows what would have happened to blink if Tom never left. And we don't know what blink will be like a few years down the road with Matt.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ghent's Brother said:

Pretty dumb hypothetical.  Literally everybody would wish Tom didn't ever go insane and they just kept releasing music after Untitled.  That's not what happened.

So there's two options.  Have a mentally ill member who doesn't even like or respect the band anymore, and just cross your fingers he ever would release any new music at all.  While also controlling the band, yodeling, and adding space effects.  Or get a hyper productive band that is active, touring, and consistently writing new music.  And if you don't like California, cross your fingers they'll change it up on the next couple album cycles.

The odds are way more likely for option number 2.

Yet the vote is very very close?

A lot of diehard fans who were very excited when Skiba joined would now prefer to take their chances with a "mentally ill" (talk about overreacting) member that may even lead to no new music ever again than carry on the current cycle with Skiba. That's how bad it's got for some blink fans.

That's the point I'm trying to show really, you and your brother just jumped in with two feet without really reading any of the comments and just sucked California off as usual though, didn't expect anything less tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

JFC

Are you having a bad day Ghent? I am sure it must suck to admit that this whole Feldman thing might not cut the mustard after all. Its a painful lesson.

That might sound like I am celebrating, I am not, I want Blink to do well however they do it, I am just as bummed about this POS song as most.

By the way this poll was phrased, I tied vote is an overwhelming approval of the Skiba era. Especially on this message board full of angry jaded people whose favorite blink album is Neighborhoods.

1 minute ago, ...Dan... said:

Yet the vote is very very close?

A lot of diehard fans who were very excited when Skiba joined would now prefer to take their chances with a "mentally ill" (talk about overreacting) member that may even lead go no new music ever again than carry on the current cycle with Skiba. That's how bad it's got for some blink fans.

That's the point I'm trying to show really, you and your brother just jumped in with two feet without really reading any of the comments and just sucked California off as usual though, didn't expect anything less tbh.

Lol there's nothing in my post that was sucking off California at all.  I'm just saying if you don't like it, there's a better chance they release something you do like with Skiba than Tom miraculously deciding to put in effort again.

I also don't think "mentally ill" is that much hyperbole either.

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

By the way this poll was phrased, I tied vote is an overwhelming approval of the Skiba era. Especially on this message board full of angry jaded people whose favorite blink album is Neighborhoods.

I have no idea how you see the results that way haha. That many people would rather go back to the constant uncertainty and waiting on an insane Tom than keep the current era going. And come on, you know your second sentence is false. You can't just make wild accusations and assumptions about everyone else any time they don't share your view.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It is? The fact that half the people who voted would rather have the band continue to be in the shitty state it was in with Tom after the reunion?

• Like 1

If it were purely a binary choice between an album w/ Skiba every two years vs. an album w/ Tom every four years, I'd stick with Tom. The music is significantly better as to warrant a longer gap between releases. But realistically, it's a lot more complicated than that.

I think in Mark's mind, blink ought to be putting out a new album every two years from here on out. At least ideally. And it's hard to see Tom committing to that schedule, even if he came back more focused on the band. I see a few different options going forward:

1) Tom is ready to get back into the studio on Mark's schedule, early 2020, and a new album w/ Tom is out that summer.

2) Tom comes back for some 20th anniversary Enema shows in 2019, but then goes back to his current endeavors. Maybe puts together a new Boxcar album w/ Travis at some point in 2020. Tom basically abandons blink for good, sparing the occasional festival gig or what have you.

3) Mark, Matt and Travis complete a trilogy of albums and ride out this new wave of success. Then, blink re-becomes Mark, Tom and Travis a few years later and they release music and perform more sporadically.

California has been too successful a record to include a "Skiba-blink hangs up the towel after the tour and awaits Tom's return" option. That being said, more likely than not -- even if it's just some Enema shows or concert reunions later down the road -- I really doubt we've seen the last of those three on stage together. Whether there's new music with Tom someday might be 50/50 odds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Lololol. I think nobody's favorite album is California.

Would take also a half-involved Tom and an album every 4 years over "new Blink". But I still haven't completely lost hope for the new lineup, the potential is there for sure.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Here's my "I told you so" statement:

Sure enough, look where we are.  I would just like to say that I've been team Tom ever since the beginning. Would love to have our old blink back, even with Tom's flaws. Fuck the haters. It's unfortunate that it took a song like "Parking Lot" to have everybody kind of rethink things.

Like father, like son.

Oliver has raised him well, the Nostradamus abilities are starting to develop!

• Like 3

Musically, I like the second option a lot more. But even if Tom got in the studio and recorded new music with them, it would feel wrong knowing what we know today (blink just paid the bills and his ego is in another dimension at this point). It would just be a cancer to the band to have him back. Mark and Travis would feel little motivation for blink having to put up with him. At least today they can have fun making successful music with no drama, which makes me happy for them.

It sucks knowing we wouldn't be having this discussion had blink found a better producer. The Alkaline-Early blink combo Mark talked about before Feldmann could have been amazing.

• Like 1