Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

Mark overthinking lyrics was definitely an extremely good thing in retrospect.

Here's the thing about Matt; I really like the guy a lot. He's a great songwriter. The problem is he is either not being allowed to write the way that's more natural to him in blink-182, or he thinks that he has to dumb his lyrics down now that he's a "pop-punk musician."

Matt can write great music but the fact is his talent is not translating over to blink-182. I think it has less to do with Matt and more to do with Feldmann.

Simply put, I think we would see a much more positive musical change if Feldmann got axed, rather than Matt.

• Like 7

You can edit posts so you don't have post five times in a row...

It's just sad that Matt isn't able to contribute his talents to the band. He could have a really cool influence.

Besides that, I agree and said it since the day they announced that Tom is out: After getting rid of one of the main members it makes no sense to still call the band Blink. Tom was the driving force behind the music. We all know that they didn't keep the name Blink because of the legacy, they kept the name because of the $$$. 

I think its pretty obvious Mark is trying to cash in on the cashcow he almost lost because of Tom. And whatever, that's fine. 

I said this before, but I went to their California tour with really low expectations, and to ME it never felt like blink. The crowd was full of 16 year olds living on the nostalgia hype. The opening bands were terrible. The crowd had the very worst sense of what good pop-punk was, let alone punk. And Matt? Yea, he was absolutely a no-factor. I cringed when they played Not Now. 

I don't blame Mark and Travis doing what theyre doing. But not using Matt's talents that he's so EASILY shown that he has (AK3, Heaven, Sekrets, etc.) is such a fucking safe-space for blink to be in and its not blink. blink was the band that pushed their limits, were funny because they never had an agenda or at least pushed the idea that they were just three guys having fun, and just being themselves. It's extremely obvious Mark acknowledges the legacy that is blink, and wants to keep it (and possibly redeem it after Neighborhoods). However, without Tom, they really aren't the same.

Id even argue +44 is better than this new blink. This blink is Enema on steroids with no funny and no irony. It's kiddie pop-punk, pushing no boundaries, and for the radio. Needless to say, I'm not putting the new blink on any  recommendation lists other than the music you want to listen to in the background that has the lyrical content suitable while having a 6 pack on a summer day. It's not a bad thing, but I laugh at the justifications behind people being okay with the NANANANAN LALALALALALA OH OH OH OHHHs from 40 year old men. At least Tom was trying to re-invent his image back in the day rather than pandering to the lowest common denominator (which he eventually threw out the window to also try and make money again). 

As Trump would say, SAD.

• Like 5

I think Matt could make awesome music with Mark and Travis but he either feels like he has to write in this vein or Feldmann and the label are forcing him to write in this vein.

But, I do think vocally he's bringing something to the table, and for the most part his lyrics so far have been as 'good' or better than Mark's, so I don't necessarily want to give him shit for it. 

He is also just a way more solid performer than Tom. Less 'fun' but more reliable. 

Ultimately I have issues with new blink, but Matt isn't really the problem. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, RAX said:

Blame travis. He got the feldmann idea!

it was the label's idea for sure. travis' story was a lame pr-attempt, just to make the situation look more friendly. well, most of you believed it... :D

that story was a blatant lie. "we made 20 songs on our own, but the label [we] hadn't felt it could be finished in time [it's that organic], so the label hired [travis sent a tweet to] feldmann."

• Like 2

Blink-182 is Mark Hoppus and Tom Delonge for me, I really really am trying to like this new age with Skiba but it's just not the same.

I'm not excited at all about seeing them this summer and if my gf hadn't bought me the tickets I would probably sell them. Call me a Tombot but I'd be ten times more excited about if Tom was playing, he's shite and can't sing but he such a huge part of what blink is.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, ...Dan... said:

Blink-182 is Mark Hoppus and Tom Delonge for me, I really really am trying to like this new age with Skiba but it's just not the same.

I'm not excited at all about seeing them this summer and if my gf hadn't bought me the tickets I would probably sell them. Call me a Tombot but I'd be ten times more excited about if Tom was playing, he's shite and can't sing but he such a huge part of what blink is.

This!

7 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Mark overthinking lyrics was definitely an extremely good thing in retrospect.

Here's the thing about Matt; I really like the guy a lot. He's a great songwriter. The problem is he is either not being allowed to write the way that's more natural to him in blink-182, or he thinks that he has to dumb his lyrics down now that he's a "pop-punk musician."

Matt can write great music but the fact is his talent is not translating over to blink-182. I think it has less to do with Matt and more to do with Feldmann.

Simply put, I think we would see a much more positive musical change if Feldmann got axed, rather than Matt.

That's what I think too.

- Matt: hey bastards, I have this idea. *plays*

- Feldmann: *finish his coke line and look at Hoppus* not bad, not bad... Hey pal, what's blink for you? Matt's riff is nice, but I have this one. *plays some basic chord progression filled with nanas all over.

- Mark: OMG Feldy, THAT'S SO BLINK.

(jokiiiiiiing)

4 hours ago, alex_dept. said:

Initially I was really enthusiastic about Matt. Just listen to this. His voice is so elegant and beautiful, not some stupid screaming, guitar work is nice, the whole atmosphere is great

To be fair, those songs were NOT written by Skiba. He 'only' provided his voice and, I think, some lyrics. That album was written by Josiah Steinbrick, of F-Minus. Other than that, I love it. It's great.

• Like 2