Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

Im actually curious to see how the next alk3 record turns out. I'm wondering if a creatively frustrated and pent up Skiba will actually bang out an ace alk3 record.

if he ever goes back to them. 

• Like 2

I've been wondering if Skiba has been saving all his best material for the next alk3 record and letting Mark and Feldmann write everything with blink. I wouldn't be surprised if the next alk3 record is what we were kind of hoping for when we heard he was joining blink.

• Like 1

I've been wondering if Skiba has been saving all his best material for the next alk3 record and letting Mark and Feldmann write everything with blink. I wouldn't be surprised if the next alk3 record is what we were kind of hoping for when we heard he was joining blink.

Next Alkaline album will be produced by Feldmann and have no input from Dan Andriano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, platypus409 said:

Next Alkaline album will be produced by Feldmann and have no input from Dan Andriano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if that happens I'll lose all respect for Matt.

• Like 3

Man, I was SO excited when Skiba was introduced into Blink. The thought of a +44/Alk3 hybrid type of album made me shed tears of joy. 

Seems like such a pipe dream at this point. 

I still feel Mark has this massive chip on his shoulder to prove to the world he can be successful with Blink without Tom. The actions of the band in this California era of Blink seem to point that emphatically. 

For some reason I expected blink with Matt to write music that sounded similar to Always.

Mark and Matt are both really good at writing darker and more mature music, so it's super weird to me that they music they're pumping out is the exact opposite of that.

A lot of it is the lyrics too. blink never has been and never will be a band that writes amazing deep lyrics, but at the same time a lot of their newer lyrics just feel too forced and fake to me. Mark complained that he used to overthink lyrics way too much, but to me the music he released when he was struggling so much with lyrics was great stuff for the most part (and if the music as a whole wasn't great, the lyrics were never part of the problem). Now that they're pumping out multiple songs a day sometimes and Feldmann is encouraging him not to overthink it at all, the lyrics are noticeably bad. I'm not saying I want blink to be super dark and mature all the time. I prefer darker blink, but there is always a place for poppy immature blink music and I would be sad if they completely abandoned that aspect of their sound and of who they are. I just want a record that's more of an even mix between the two, rather than 95% straight-up pop and only 5% darker stuff. And write more about real (or at least believable) adult experiences and scenarios rather than continuing to cater to 14-year-olds.

Anyway, yes, I would prefer to have Tom back. But at the same time I'm glad we're getting blink-182 in some form right now, even if it's not exactly what I want. The new music isn't my favorite but I still like it. For how much I nitpick and criticize it on here you wouldn't guess that I actually still listen to California quite a bit. I over-analyze things that I like. If I really hated it, I probably wouldn't bother posting about it so much. I enjoy California and I had a great time seeing blink with Matt back in September. I prefer blink music and blink concerts with Tom, but I'm glad we're at least getting something.

I've said it before but I have high hopes for whatever blink's next record is, after California Deluxe (because I always assumed California Deluxe was going to be more-or-less the same as California). I think blink with Matt has huge potential to be really awesome, and I'll be surprised (and disappointed) if their next album fails to bring something new and exciting to the table. I think letting Matt have more creative control and influence could be one of the best things that could happen to this iteration of blink-182.

• Like 4

To be honest, I didn't have an exact idea about what to expect. I mean, I knew what Matt did in Alkaline Trio and solo projects, and I know what Mark was able to do in the past, in blink and in +44. They pretty much have their own milestones as refference. So, I assumed they won't be replicating sounds as the ones you can hear on AK3 or (+44), because the rage would be brutal. Can you imagine that? OMG BLINK SOUNDING LIKE AK3. And with reason.

So, I though that that situation setted a kind of wild ground for writing. Two amazing ways of writting colliding. And for the authors being inclined to dark themes, I expected some darkness, yeah, but tons of good melodies and the amazing groove of Barker.

And guess what... Feldmann came in and feldmanized everything. And, in the end, this ends up feeling like another lost opportunity, not in the fashion of Neighborhoods but... well...

• Like 1

Im a huge Matt Skiba fan, and i think his talent is getting wasted. But i think it makes no sense for him to do the exact same thing he does in alk3 right now in blink, the perfect escenario would be to mix the pop-punk side with his post punk influences but in a more poppy side (sadly blink doesnt seem to be able to steer away from pop music) like blink successfully did on the Untitled record. But for that the other members has to aim for it, and it seems the goal is to go for a classic 99-00 pop-punk sound, wich it wouldnt be bad just if the lyrics were honest or interesting and they are neither.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, raw_sounds said:

to mix the pop-punk side with his post punk influences but in a more poppy side (sadly blink doesnt seem to be able to steer away from pop music) like blink successfully did on the Untitled record

oh yeah, that would be amazing, sometimes i imagine The Cure songs with a Blink punch and a heavier fast-paced guitar. A letter To Elise cover is a great example of the music I hoped Blink would create after the reunion

• Like 5

Im stoked this thread came to light because it reminded me how awesome Heavens is. What an album that is, I never heard it in full and I immediately bought it after the second listen on youtube. 

RIP blink

• Like 1