Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

Well, I could understand Skiba struggling with Tom songs. Even if they are easy to play as fuck. Ok, whatever, let's accept that. They are not his songs, so well, fuck them.

now he struggles with feldman songs, same thing. i'm 100 positive that skiba didn't record that riff. same goes for brohemian rapsody

5 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

i didn't . wanna help out? geniunly curious

I had a little look, couldn't really see anything of the sort.

There was this video where one idiot seemed to think he was using a backing tracking but he clearly isn't - so it might be that? if this isn't the right video then I'll wait for Ghent to link everyone to the post he found with the right one in. 

Pretty hilarious how many pages worth of meltdowns over backing tracks there have been here over the years. Half are wild conspiracy theories, half are irrelevant incidents like Matt's in the current meltdown.

If it isn't a disingenuous distraction and makes them sound better live, who cares?

31 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Pretty hilarious how many pages worth of meltdowns over backing tracks there have been here over the years. Half are wild conspiracy theories, half are irrelevant incidents like Matt's in the current meltdown.

If it isn't a disingenuous distraction and makes them sound better live, who cares?

A main guitar riff is not a backing track.

That's the problem here.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It isn't 'disingenuous'?

What apart from the fact he pretends to play the riff but doesn't? I'd say that's pretty disingenuous...

If he can't play it then he should just not play that bit of play some rythm/let some chords ring over the top of it or something - at least then he'd be owning how shit he is on guitar rather than pretending he can play stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Does anyone have videos of Tom using guitar backing tracks? 

I can't remember if it was guitar backing or just synths, but they relied on backing tracks for the self-titled reunion (Blizzcon performance). I think it was near the end of the Tom era that they used them. 

21 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

It isn't 'disingenuous'?

What apart from the fact he pretends to play the riff but doesn't? I'd say that's pretty disingenuous...

If he can't play it then he should just not play that bit of play some rythm/let some chords ring over the top of it or something - at least then he'd be owning how shit he is on guitar rather than pretending he can play stuff.

It's kind of sad he can't play it, but it still falls very close to zero on my give a fuck scale. omgzzzz how will i sleep tonight knowing Matt used a backing track on a little riff the second time through a song live?

If I can get through blink playing the entire Untitled album live with the album playing in the background I think I can manage this #crisis.

1 minute ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I can't remember if it was guitar backing or just synths, but they relied on backing tracks for the self-titled reunion (Blizzcon performance). I think it was near the end of the Tom era that they used them. 

I have no real issue with synths to be honest, they add depth to the sound of the performance.

I'd have to hear the backing guitar and judge first hand, if it's rythm and lead is played over the top then it's a bit shit but not horrific.

The Skiba video is a backing track with him pretending to play the riff - it's not like it's in a part where there are two guitar parts to hide behind really, it's just there purely because he can't play it.

Might be time to get a backing for WMAA intro and the Carousel interlude too!

10 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Does anyone have videos of Tom using guitar backing tracks? 

acoustic guitars through out. most noticeable during the bridge.

but fucking hell the mix is so bad on this.  the backing tracks are way to loud. the percussion claps are louder than the snare itself. 

@Ghent where is this famous dumpweed Video we had an Epic meltdown over?