Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

3 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

acoustic guitars through out. most noticeable during the bridge.

but fucking hell the mix is so bad on this.  the backing tracks are way to loud. the percussion claps are louder than the snare itself. 

@Ghent where is this famous dumpweed Video we had an Epic meltdown over?

I think someone already posted it? Anyway- there have been many meltdowns about backing tracks over the years, and as I thought I said in my first post, some were real and some were people being idiots. The Dumpweed one to me didn't sound like a backing track, but reality has never gotten in the way of a good meltdown on this message board

1 minute ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Isn't Matt just using a looper in that video? why is everyone melting down over it, Tom used it every time they played After Midnight. 

What is a looper?

It does recover just fine after the intro, but someone was out of tune at the beginning? Reminds me of the infamous AVA video of Everythings Magic, but they play the whole song using the wrong guitar on that one

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

It does recover just fine after the intro, but someone was out of tune at the beginning? Reminds me of the infamous AVA video of Everythings Magic, but they play the whole song using the wrong guitar on that one

AVA actually recovered mid first verse… stop making shit up

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

What is a looper?

whatever he's using here in the intro.  

Just now, Ghent said:

hmm, yeah he's definitely using some kind of trick there. Actually sounds good though, he should have done stuff like that more often lol

Yeah it sounds great and he actually tries to sing decent in that performance.  Such a shame, he's on a couch somewhere planning his next SekReT announcement. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

hmm, yeah he's definitely using some kind of trick there. Actually sounds good though, he should have done stuff like that more often lol

It's not magic, its a looper. You record a guitar part into it, and it'll repeat it over and over on a loop. Its used when the rhythm is multifaceted, like on After Midnight ... alternatively you could use a backing track for it or a second guitarist.

Just now, _Kyle_ said:

I wish these apologists and incels would just take this criticism honestly and not try to dodge it with past behavior. Tom was supposed kicked out for his lack of commitment and stage effort. Why hasn't Matt?

Personally I enjoyed Tom on stage, was a good time live. Unlike most of you, I liked when he got trashed and said crazy shit (which was most shows)

Skiba seems to be very committed, but can't top Tom's personality live, his fuck ups are less excusable because he isn't an original member. And that's ok. I have no allegiance to Skiba, but active blink sure beats no blink. His commitment has been much appreciated by me

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Longhair Planetoids said:

It's not magic, its a looper. You record a guitar part into it, and it'll repeat it over and over on a loop.

Don't you have an album to be working on? Maybe you can try this magical looping device? might really impress the three people that listen it!

3 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

cool, never noticed that performance. i think it's backing tracks also... in the second verse there is constant palm muting guitar playing which he never played before

Yeah, is so well mixed that you barelly notice it. It's more lika a support. It could have been missing ,and the bass would have don the trick itsefl, but that backing track adds support and 'body'. Main parts are played live, so is cool.

3 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I wish these apologists and incels would just take this criticism honestly and not try to dodge it with past behavior. Tom was supposed kicked out for his lack of commitment and stage effort. Why hasn't Matt?

Agree. Usually when you replace something is either because is broken (so you just replace it with the same thing, but new) or because you want an upgrade.

I'm not sure in which point is blink with Matt.

• Like 1