Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

10 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Idk man at the Vegas shows I was right in front of Mark and he was having a blast and interacting with the crowd during songs like crazy. He really seemed to be enjoying himself, it was one of the main things I noticed. Yeah Matt doesn't move much, and Trav's a machine, but I'm sure they enjoy it. I don't think they are miserable up there.

As far as being jaded, I don't think he's too far off the deep end. He gladly poses for selfies out in public and signs autographs, there's just nothing at this point he hasn't heard. A smile, handshake, and "Thank You" is about all you can ask for. After 20 years of some fame and money, your lifestyle is just a bit different and you have to watch out for the crazies. 

The staged quick photo ops would be such a bore if you did it every single day all summer... filtering people through to pose with you like zoo animals, so I understand not being super ecstatic for that. And again, this is something that's been going on for years, it's just another day at the office. Mark does seem overly serious at soundcheck sometimes (dating back to when I saw the Untitled reunion shows), but it's a soundcheck meant for work, not play. The crowd even being there is probably something set up by promoters, not them. So I give him a pass on that. 

Fair enough I guess.

They definitely didn't want the crowd there at sound check.

1 minute ago, JarJarBlinks said:

is this a Coach Corey Wayne quote?

Yes!

Just now, LeeannTweedenUSMC said:

No, the problem is taking a first impression and using it to define a person. 

Not really, I've been following Blink for over 20 years now. While I don't know them personally. I certainly know enough about them to form an opinion. Probably more than people I've even met and talked with in real life.

As people, I honestly don't care for any of them. But I don't care for a lot of famous people. I enjoy their art, I idolize them for what they have accomplished, but most of them as people, are assholes. As Tom hanks once said, it comes with the territory. You don't make it in entertainment without being a piece of shit. There are very few exceptions. Robin Williams comes to mind.

14 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

I think most everyone bases their worth off their income to some degree whether they want to admit it or not.

Honestly, no. Money before everything is a lonely life to lead, it's icing if you have other things going on though and important but if I have everything going on and making 10-20k less then a guy who's miserable and nothing going on I feel higher worth.

Have you never seen it's a wonderful Life? Haha

If Joe Blow who sits next to you, has worked at your job for less time, with less experience, but makes $10K more than you, how does that make you feel?

This is a bit different though, obviously that will piss anyone off, but I wouldn't feel less than that guy, just question the bosses decision.

So even though Blink make a shit ton, there is no question that those checks are smaller now, way smaller. Huge blow to Mark's ego. There is no question about it.

It is harder to go backwards in anything in life. But you gotta think musicians/athletes are aware of their returns peaking and then declining.  

6 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

I showed Mark my tattoo and he was just like "That's cool", I mean I didn't really expect much. Even replying to Davey "Thanks Davey" is nice of him to go out of his way to do that IMO, a truly jaded person would be nowhere near that collector group, and have someone else running their Facebook. 

Obviously your personal experience may change your perception, so I understand if you feel that way. I once was the only person at a Pacers game wearing a Larry Bird Celtics jersey, walked up to him during halftime and asked if he'd sign my jersey and he said "NO" which made me feel like an ant, so he is a dick IMO now - even though he may be a great person idk.

All things considered Blink isn't really popular enough to be too arrogant. Mark could walk around my whole town with a sign that says "I'm Mark Hoppus" and I bet maybe 10 people would stop and say hi.

I think for knowing Davey for so long, and him being part of the early days of the band "Thanks Davey" is a dick move.

Not as bad as what you describe with Larry Bird. But Mark doesn't strike me as someone who really cares about his fans at all. I am not really sure why he was in that Blink collector group but his responses where very strange and he often ignored just about everything people asked him.

I think there was actually a time where Mark walked up to a kid wearing a Blink shirt and said "Did you enjoy the show?" and the kid had no clue who he was. Great stuff!

I think it's all about the mood there in when you meet them.

When I first met Frank Turner he chatted to me for a few minutes, let me take a picture, and was really sweet. I gave him a CD and everything, he was really welcoming and friendly (and he'd just come from a goddamn funeral). six months later, I went to the march table at another show of his, called him a legend and told him it was a great show and he gave me a proper disinterested glare, rolled his eyes, and walked off. 

So he's either an amazingly approachable and friendly musician or a total dick. I guess I'll never know which. What probably happened was something had just happened and he was off, or he misheard me, or he was having a shit day. happens to the best of us. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kay said:

I think it's all about the mood there in when you meet them.

When I first met Frank Turner he chatted to me for a few minutes, let me take a picture, and was really sweet. I gave him a CD and everything, he was really welcoming and friendly (and he'd just come from a goddamn funeral). six months later, I went to the march table at another show of his, called him a legend and told him it was a great show and he gave me a proper disinterested glare, rolled his eyes, and walked off. 

So he's either an amazingly approachable and friendly musician or a total dick. I guess I'll never know which. What probably happened was something had just happened and he was off, or he misheard me, or he was having a shit day. happens to the best of us. 

bingo. while i try to never treat anyone improperly, every now and again you have a bad moment. mark seeming disinterested or annoyed at oli's soundcheck could've been a bad day. everything else we've gathered of mark -- the hundreds of hours of video footage from 1999-03, interviews, signing autographs for fans -- point to him being an incredibly nice and grateful guy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boxelder said:

he's historically been the most humble and kind member of the band to fans.

post reunion, yes.

back in the day (the 90s)—and i find this fascinating—mark was super full of himself and tom was the one who was humble and approachable.

sometime after the band broke up, this had reversed. the easiest comparison is +44 vs. AVA. +44 was a quiet album release, small tour, relatively little press. AVA was tom (at every single opportunity) shouting to anyone who would listen (and many who didn't care) that OMG ANGELS AND AIRWAVES IS THE MOST PROGRESSIVE ROCK BAND EVER AND THE MOST UNIQUE AND THE MOST CREATIVE AND THIS MUSIC WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOREVER.

...i blame the painkiller addiction.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

post reunion, yes.

back in the day (the 90s)—and i find this fascinating—mark was super full of himself and tom was the one who was humble and approachable.

sometime after the band broke up, this had reversed. the easiest comparison is +44 vs. AVA. +44 was a quiet album release, small tour, relatively little press. AVA was tom (at every single opportunity) shouting to anyone who would listen (and many who didn't care) that OMG ANGELS AND AIRWAVES IS THE MOST PROGRESSIVE ROCK BAND EVER AND THE MOST UNIQUE AND THE MOST CREATIVE AND THIS MUSIC WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOREVER.

I don't think Mark has changed, I just think he's gotten better at hiding it. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

How exactly was Mark not humble? I mean, was he flaunting that apartment he had or something?

yessir.

the change from cargo and cheshire cat to getting signed by MCA to releasing dude ranch is waaaay noticeable, even if you're just looking at live performances on youtube. check it out... mark's boisterous "i'm the shit" attitude on stage in 97 and 98 shows is so thick you can spread it on toast for breakfast.

but yes, in an interpersonal context, too. to your point, going from being broke and living with mom to having a two bedroom apartment with your sister and a brand new toyota 4runner (which anne used to borrow to drive to class when the band was out on tour) was a big, big deal for mark. and he let everyone know it. do i blame the guy? hell now. i just find the reversal between him and tom (tom, who took all this change 97 to 98 a bit more quietly imo) very interesting.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yessir.

the change from cargo and cheshire cat to getting signed by MCA to releasing dude ranch is waaaay noticeable, even if you're just looking at live performances on youtube. check it out... mark's boisterous "i'm the shit" attitude on stage in 97 and 98 shows is so thick you can spread it on toast for breakfast.

but yes, in an interpersonal context, too. to your point, going from being broke and living with mom to having a two bedroom apartment with your sister and a brand new toyota 4runner (which anne used to borrow to drive to class when the band was out on tour) was a big, big deal for mark. and he let everyone know it. do i blame the guy? hell now. i just find the reversal between him and tom (tom, who took all this change 97 to 98 a bit more quietly imo) very interesting.

Hm.

I mean, maybe he's actually proud of his band being pretty decent? I mean, after doing 100 or so shows, you do get cockier. That's not necessarily a personality shift.

Kind of strange to be really proud of living with you sister at 24-25 though....

56 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

post reunion, yes.

Yeah, and I'd say Mark really feared to lose everything for the firs toaime. Blink was so on autopilot, that I guess some things were taken for granted Until it all blew up.

It's like when you have an accident or a complicated illness. If you come out alive, then your perspective changes 180º.