Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

as a fan, all i know is what i can observe. and mark did seem hella cocky in the dude ranch days. and then seems like when EOTS hit that evaporated or he grew up or something. or maybe the fame and money scared him a little bit. apartment with your sister money is different than five mansions money. i think he learned to be more grateful, not just as a public way of staying well-regarded but because he was. and then i think blink breaking up totally broke him. you can see it in his face in interviews in ’05, in the ways he aged, and of course, in +44. he completely lost his identity.

nowadays, i can’t really tell what’s going on. i think he’s still pissed tom hung him out to dry, i think he’s disappointed with skiba but trying to say it’s okay, and i think he likes how feldmann strokes his ego and how much easier it is to write songs. he kinda seems like he might be at his lowest confidence ever… he’s hired songwriters and taken more control over the band. i think he’s still hurt

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Oliver's book comment is actually pretty cool, it just didn't work out in that quick photo op scenario. Most people are shoved through in 2 seconds, maybe get a handshake and "Hi" before the camera flashes. So by even speaking out it probably caught Mark off guard, then he had to think about it quick and blurt something out. As far as the Philadelphia thing, he may not have even known where they were that day to be honest, or didn't catch that detail in the book.

If you caught him at a coffee shop, or a more proper Meet & Greet, that would be a unique conversation that he would probably enjoy. (He's been trying to create a book club with his followers.) So yeah, it sucks when you try and think of something unique to say (that they haven't heard a thousand times) and it backfires, but I wouldn't hold it against him given the circumstances. 

Thanks Ry Bread.

Thats fair.

I think the bathroom scenario is perfect. If you literally get creeped out or offended by that kind of humor, you wouldn't get along well with me in real life.

Blink basically build their fucking brand on humor that pushes boundaries.

And we all know Ghent has a tiny wee wee so its why he checks out other dudes. Just wanted to put that out there. :-)

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Speedo said:

It's not about trying not to look, its about not giving a shit. I'm 32 with two kids, it got the job done and wife is either happy or a better liar than she makes herself out to be. I could not give less of a fuck about my dick size in comparison to other men. 

I never understood the whole 'being self-conscious about dick size' thing ... you didn't pick it out, it's not a car, it's a fucking growth coming out of you that fills with blood.

Does it work?

Yes?

Good, don't worry about it.

No?

Here's a pill, or pump, or popsicle stick and string, don't worry about it.

This was all quite..

0007491299_23.jpg

Also, denial about your small dick.

53 minutes ago, boxelder said:

as a fan, all i know is what i can observe. and mark did seem hella cocky in the dude ranch days. and then seems like when EOTS hit that evaporated or he grew up or something. or maybe the fame and money scared him a little bit. apartment with your sister money is different than five mansions money. i think he learned to be more grateful, not just as a public way of staying well-regarded but because he was. and then i think blink breaking up totally broke him. you can see it in his face in interviews in ’05, in the ways he aged, and of course, in +44. he completely lost his identity.

nowadays, i can’t really tell what’s going on. i think he’s still pissed tom hung him out to dry, i think he’s disappointed with skiba but trying to say it’s okay, and i think he likes how feldmann strokes his ego and how much easier it is to write songs. he kinda seems like he might be at his lowest confidence ever… he’s hired songwriters and taken more control over the band. i think he’s still hurt

That seems pretty spot on. As far as the cockiness and psychoanalyzing strangers goes, I think you NEED to be a little cocky and have a little bit of an ego to succeed in something like being in a band. You have to not only believe your music is good, you have to believe it's SO good that it deserves to be heard by a lot of people, and you work your ass off to make sure that happens. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all, until it tips over into Tom in 2006 "AVA is the best band in 20 years Jesus wrote the guitar parts we're going to change the world" type of bullshit.

Somewhere along the way Mark lost that type of confidence though, which he admits, and it's probably pretty rough to remember that feeling and know that's what got you to where you are, but not be able to summon it the same way anymore. That's what leads to greatest hits setlists and bringing in co-writers to help you make songs that you hope sound like your songs from 20 years ago.

All that being said, all signs point to him loving his life and having a great time as a husband/dad, I just doubt he gets the same type of specific feeling from music anymore.

End of therapy session

bigstock-patient-therapy-doctor-counselo

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

That seems pretty spot on. As far as the cockiness and psychoanalyzing strangers goes, I think you NEED to be a little cocky and have a little bit of an ego to succeed in something like being in a band. You have to not only believe your music is good, you have to believe it's SO good that it deserves to be heard by a lot of people, and you work your ass off to make sure that happens. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all, until it tips over into Tom in 2006 "AVA is the best band in 20 years Jesus wrote the guitar parts we're going to change the world" type of bullshit.

Somewhere along the way Mark lost that type of confidence though, which he admits, and it's probably pretty rough to remember that feeling and know that's what got you to where you are, but not be able to summon it the same way anymore. That's what leads to greatest hits setlists and bringing in co-writers to help you make songs that you hope sound like your songs from 20 years ago.

All that being said, all signs point to him loving his life and having a great time as a husband/dad, I just doubt he gets the same type of specific feeling from music anymore.

End of therapy session

bigstock-patient-therapy-doctor-counselo

Yeah definitely. Even if most people tell you it's shit, you still have to not give a fuck and believe your own music is good. Tom is still like that with his new shit anyway, but I agree he went over the top back in 2006. The Jesus comments always made me laugh. I think if it wasn't for that, AVA might've been more successful.

Have no clue why Mark started being insecure of his own songs though. The guy often writes the best blink song for each album in my opinion. +44 is so fucking good. Don't know why he barely mentions that album outside of Baby Come On. Then his songs on Neighborhoods are damn good too. Has he even said anything about Kaleidoscope since it was released? His songwriting got better and better IMO.

• Like 1

i know all this analyzing is probably stupid, since we don't know the man, but it seems to me adam's song might've been the first indication that self-doubt was creeping in. that fits the timeline too, with EOTS breaking through and he, tom and travis becoming rockstars.

2 hours ago, Champ182 said:

yeah, this point is understated. as best i can tell, mark seems like a really great family man. tom too, tbf, but he's just wacko enough i don't really know what to think 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

I just want to clarify my points about Tom, I still think he is a jerk.

But definitely better person to get a beer with. I think Mark would be about as interesting as staring at a blank wall.

Bar talk should be light and fun, I need someone I can riff with and that would definitely be Tom.

• Like 1

Music isn't as lucrative a career as its made out to be ... I'm not saying their poor, just that it isn't a bottomless bag of money.

Look at their networths ...

Tom: $80 million

Mark: $70 million

Travis: $45 million

When's the last time Tom toured anything or even played a show?

Currently reading a book by Lamb of God vocalist Randall Blythe about his manslaughter conviction/prison stay overseas for throwing a fan off stage that died (incredibly interesting read), but he mentions that bands don't make hardly anything off of record sales/tours, and that they are basically glorified t-shirt salesmen... lol. Blink is bigger, but that is still probably halfway accurate for most bands.

Say they play a 15,000 person venue with an average ticket cost of $60, that's 900k for the show. After all is said and done, I'd guess Blink's whole camp gets 100-150k  out of that. Mark/Matt/Trav probably getting 25-30k each per show (wouldn't surprise me if Tom gets a cut too!), the rest split among the rest of the Blink corporation. Less middle men for merch, so they likely keep much more of the profit on that stuff.

Usually its like 10 cents per CD, which for Enema, they probably did decent. Because it was pre getting that stuff for free.

But today, with the downloading, bands don't make shit off music.

Its all in the touring, the merchandise, the book deals, the companies, extra media. So Tom has the right idea with that, its just that no one wants his products.

• Like 3