Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

27 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Currently reading a book by Lamb of God vocalist Randall Blythe about his manslaughter conviction/prison stay overseas for throwing a fan off stage that died (incredibly interesting read), but he mentions that bands don't make hardly anything off of record sales/tours, and that they are basically glorified t-shirt salesmen... lol. Blink is bigger, but that is still probably halfway accurate for most bands.

Say they play a 15,000 person venue with an average ticket cost of $60, that's 900k for the show. After all is said and done, I'd guess Blink's whole camp gets 100-150k  out of that. Mark/Matt/Trav probably getting 25-30k each per show (wouldn't surprise me if Tom gets a cut too!), the rest split among the rest of the Blink corporation. Less middle men for merch, so they likely keep much more of the profit on that stuff.

Need to read this.  I actually really like Lamb of God instrumentally.  What do you mean glorified t shirt salesmen?  Like they need those sales?

Just now, NJansaid said:

Need to read this.  I actually really like Lamb of God instrumentally.  What do you mean glorified t shirt salesmen?  Like they need those sales?

I like them a lot, the book is incredible, I can't put it down. He was basically just saying that they make the majority of their money off of merch sales. His bail was 200k and he said his band had to borrow that from the record label... so even a band the size of LOG doesn't have 200k COMBINED between 5 members ready to throw down...

. Travis said in his book he was on a salary till late 2000, and was making absolute shit  compared to Mark and Tom till they made him a partner. I think he said he wasn't bent out of shape because he felt they had paid their dues and he hadn't.

Makes me think Matt is or was on a shit salary as well for a bit.

But you know damn well Feldmann go his fucking payday up front.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

. Travis said in his book he was on a salary till late 2000, and was making absolute shit  compared to Mark and Tom till they made him a partner. I think he said he wasn't bent out of shape because he felt they had paid their dues and he hadn't.

Feldmann is the producer, they're usually always paid up front and by the labels. They don't generally get a cut of anything else, so you're not wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

I like them a lot, the book is incredible, I can't put it down. He was basically just saying that they make the majority of their money off of merch sales. His bail was 200k and he said his band had to borrow that from the record label... so even a band the size of LOG doesn't have 200k COMBINED between 5 members ready to throw down...

That's crazy, metal genre isn't really a money maker anymore outside of Metallica, but Lamb of God is pretty much as big as it gets in metal.  

That would really irk me... Have a huge amount buying your albums and attending touring but not selling any merch and you're fucked.

Yeah, I think with rock bands especially, they might have a decent lifestyle and a decent financial incoming still but these aren't pop stars the way Rihanna, Eminem or whoever are. Everyone knows blink, but they don't know Mark, Tom & Travis.

Didn't Atom quit AVA because he needed money? He said something along the lines that AVA was fine financial wise until blink got back together, because it meant less touring. David has his own business. The guys in Wheatus can't even afford to tour anymore because all of the money they've made from their one hit wonder Teenage Dirtbag wasn't enough to sustain their career.

You have to keep having shit loads of hits really to sustain that kinda career. Blink will always be fine since they don't really seem to go full on crazy with spending money, although Tom needs to be careful. He looks like he's living in an apartment like Dexter from the Dexter TV show.

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

The guys in Wheatus can't even afford to tour anymore because all of the money they've made from their one hit wonder Teenage Dirtbag wasn't enough to sustain their career.

Funny you should mention that - Wheatus played a tiny venue (250 people) in Dublin city last week and I was asking myself how they were making anywhere near enough off it to justify all the travel etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

to be fair, they hired him in 1998. waiting just a little over two years to become a partner isn't that crazy. if you suddenly became millionaires, wouldn't you want to be careful about choosing who you're partnering with? 

6 hours ago, SimonSinick said:

Funny you should mention that - Wheatus played a tiny venue (250 people) in Dublin city last week and I was asking myself how they were making anywhere near enough off it to justify all the travel etc.

I saw Wheatus in Swansea for their 15th anniversary, like 2 years ago or something? they were honestly brilliant, it's a shame they've been reduced to tiny venues and such now. 

• Like 1

Travis also doesn't have any songwriter credits on Enema, and considering thats their biggest record, thats alot of money. 

The amount of money he wouldn't have gotten on the publishing side of things (Movie, TV & Ad Placements, Radio Play, Everytime it's played live ect.) would be pretty high and would still exist today since that's one of those timeless records that you'll earn publishing off forever. 

He'd only be receiving performance royalties (Not live play, royalties for playing on the recording) off those tracks which is extremely small compared to writing royalties. 

Tom and Mark are definitely still making BANK off the publishing side of that album

3 hours ago, Kay said:

I saw Wheatus in Swansea for their 15th anniversary, like 2 years ago or something? they were honestly brilliant, it's a shame they've been reduced to tiny venues and such now. 

Dunno how their song Lemonade never became a hit. Maybe could blame their label for that but at the time they were still massively known.

9 hours ago, SimonSinick said:

Yeah, they've said they are struggling to support their touring but it was like 2-3 years ago. Didn't know they were touring at all still haha. Another band that was huge back then was Puddle of Mudd. They had two hits and I know they're still around today but I have no clue how they're actually doing.

43 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah, they've said they are struggling to support their touring but it was like 2-3 years ago. Didn't know they were touring at all still haha. Another band that was huge back then was Puddle of Mudd. They had two hits and I know they're still around today but I have no clue how they're actually doing.

wasn't it 3 hits? Blurry, She Hates Me and Control? man, I miss that "We're not sure what genre this is" early 2000s rock / grunge / nu metal / emo-ish sound haha

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kay said:

wasn't it 3 hits? Blurry, She Hates Me and Control? man, I miss that "We're not sure what genre this is" early 2000s rock / grunge / nu metal / emo-ish sound haha

Yeah, I remember Control but I wouldn't have called it a hit the way She Hates Me & Blurry were haha. And the early 2000s were fucking great. Best years of my life. Music videos back then were funny as hell.

16 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Usually its like 10 cents per CD, which for Enema, they probably did decent. Because it was pre getting that stuff for free.

But today, with the downloading, bands don't make shit off music.

Its all in the touring, the merchandise, the book deals, the companies, extra media. So Tom has the right idea with that, its just that no one wants his products.

I think it changes after you recoup your losses. like they might actually make a buck now on every album. it really just depends on your contract.

• 2 weeks later...