Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

hmmmm, checked it, he said "hanging out with Sammy from Chicago this weekend". Misheard that, sorry. I checked on Matt's Instagram and he was at the When We Were Young Festival that weekend (not Chicago). So where does Alkaline Trio meet up?

It's so funny how the host hints that it's Skiba as well lol... "On a scale of 1 to 82"... "182% sure"..

Matt did say in a podcast that he drinks wine/smokes weed occasionally, I just really do not think it sounds like him at all? His accent/laugh are just way off IMO.

^that's the one detail that I don't get. he's not as monotone as Matt is.

And well here's the thing, the guy who calls in every week (Wurster, drummer for Superchunk/Mountain Goats) sounded way different than he normally does this week specifically. So with different phones, the voice does sounds quite different. I realized it this week too and thought this could be what Matt sounds like on a cell or landline. Maybe Matt knows he could be easily be outed and he talks a bit energetic than he normally does. But so far nothing he's said seems out of line with him being Matt Skiba. It's definitely learning towards being him, and who else would it be? Who the fuck name checks Ned's Atomic Dustbin, has laminates for tour, and has played with Taking Back Sunday?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/17/2017 at 7:35 AM, _Kyle_ said:

So mystery rock star "Matt" called The Best Show again on Tuesday (April 11th). Here are some notes. I'm almost sure it's him.

I'm not sure of the date but I just listened to an episode listing the Top 25 Coked Out Performances Of All Time and Matt From Oakland calls in and Tom Scharpling references Blink a bunch of times again. Also Tom straight up says he's on "Team 182" when comparing them to Green Day and says "and it's not just because one of them calls into the show" so it's either the a ridiculously weird/secret bit or it's actually Skiba.

11 hours ago, Champ182 said:

I'm not sure of the date but I just listened to an episode listing the Top 25 Coked Out Performances Of All Time and Matt From Oakland calls in and Tom Scharpling references Blink a bunch of times again. Also Tom straight up says he's on "Team 182" when comparing them to Green Day and says "and it's not just because one of them calls into the show" so it's either the a ridiculously weird/secret bit or it's actually Skiba.

It's not skiba, we already decided that. Sounds like they're trolling for listeners or some shit.

12 hours ago, Smalls said:

It's not skiba, we already decided that. Sounds like they're trolling for listeners or some shit.

Haha yeah it might not be him but I highly doubt they are trolling for listeners. I don't think there would be even the most miniscule bounce in listeners based on a fake cryptic "Matt Skiba" who calls in extremely rarely.

Is a guy calling into some shit podcast with an annoying host pretending to be Matt Skiba or IS HE ACTUALLY Matt Skiba kind of pretending to be Matt Skiba???? The boards may never know!

The board's worst mystery

12 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Is a guy calling into some shit podcast with an annoying host pretending to be Matt Skiba or IS HE ACTUALLY Matt Skiba kind of pretending to be Matt Skiba???? The boards may never know!

The board's worst mystery

Not to go all "well ACTUALLY" on you but it's been a radio show since 2000 and is pretty highly regarded in the comedy and music world. I don't know many people who listen to it either because it started as more of an East Coast thing, but it's not like some shitty start up haha. That's the reason why it's at least plausible that Skiba would be a fan.

• Like 2