Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

It definitely doesn't seem like he's doing a Tom move of constantly stringing his other band along and everything, but I do wonder what the situation is within Alkaline Trio. Wasn't the original idea to like alternate years? He's been doing Blink nonstop for 2 years now (which is cool for Blink of course) but I wonder if the Alkaline dudes feel like the situation changed on them at all.

18 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

there's no way dan and derek are cool with matt's situation right now. i'm sure they were happy at first, but they're probably having the same issues that blink had with tom in the past when he'd blow them off for AVA. alkaline trio is their source for money and they don't play in any other successful bands. 

Matt said in a recent interview that he "feels for them" because they have families, which I took that as a hint towards the financial side of things. He also said they were the first people he called when Mark/Trav offered him the spot, and that he didn't feel "guilty" or he wouldn't be doing it. 

I'm sure they understand that he had an amazing opportunity and couldn't turn it down. I would also think given how caring Matt seems, that he ensured them that Alk3 would continue. They really just need to do a handful of shows each year and they're probably all set money wise. It seems like those guys have all done their separate things off an on anyway, so this doesn't seem like anything new for them to deal with. 

I was quite shocked to see Dan playing at some of these super small bars (I wanted to go to his show this past Saturday but didn't get back in town in time), he is extremely talented and I really enjoy his Alk3 songs. ("Fine" still gives me chills). I guess I just vastly over estimated Alk3's popularity/fanbase. I guess that is the difference between breaking over to the mainstream, or missing out. Derek's drumming has never stood out to me, and his solo songs I've heard have all been horrible IMHO.

So yeah, they may be jealous of Matt deep down, but he is the most talented and was already selling records without them. Whereas without Skiba, they play at bars with 50 people. Sometimes life isn't fair, but I really think they are happy for him, as opposed to being angry or sad for themselves. 

You guys realize after Alkaline's most recent album Derek started a side-project (recording and touring) and Dan was even more invested in his (recording and touring).  

Skiba was left twiddling his thumbs, in a "reverse Tom" situation.  Alk3 has been stale for a couple of albums now, and Skiba probably was burned out of writing albums about skulls and death.  

Why do you think he wanted to write a children's album with Mark?  Buncha weird made-up fantasies going on in here.

• Like 1

This is the longest gap between records for Alkaline Trio but things will clear up after the European tour. At the end of the summer the blink cycle will be over and blink is like a corporation, I'm pretty sure he knew the moment he signed a deal that there would have been two years to dedicate to blink, to write the album, to promote it and touring.. After that, the most logical thing to do would be having a rest but we will see if he's going back to Alkaline Trio right away. He owes it to Dan and Derek and I'm pretty sure Mark and Travis will be fine and they won't rush him if he does his thing with Alkaline Trio for a year or two. He did a lot for them too and sacrificed his bandmates' income. 

Love his voice, sounds way better against Mark's than Tom's ever did.  Plus his live performances put Tom's to shame, though I'm sure just about anybody would put Tom's live performances to shame, I'm aware that he never really tried there, at least not since prior to blink breaking up.  I'm not sure if there is anyone else I'd prefer to have Skiba's place in the band, I certainly can't think of anyone else more fitting.  But maybe that's just me.

Well, to be more accurate, the three of them (Matt, Dan and Derek) have had side projects since really back in the day, pretty much.

•  Dan, since he joined Alkaline Trio (beginning of 1998 more or less), he has been involved with The Falcon, and his solo endeavour that started in 2011.
  • Derek, since he joined in Alkaline Trio (back in 2001), he released solo stuff in 2008 and 2009, and has been playing with The Vandals and The Suicide Machine in a few shows. Also, I believe, with face to Face, but I think that was before joining AK3, so... if so, it doesn't count.
  • And Mat always has been involved in several projects. Solo shit aside his more recent Sekrets records, Heavens (2006), splic CD with Kevins Seconds (2002), The Hell with Atom Willard (2010) solo shows, etc, and even writing with some other people and doing some collaborations.

So, I don't see their side projects as a treat for Alkaline Trio per se. Of course, if they are not now doing AK3 things, they have to do something else aside from resting at home. Also, I hope this time off can serve as a refresher for the band.

1 hour ago, M!ke said:

Love his voice, sounds way better against Mark's than Tom's ever did.  Plus his live performances put Tom's to shame, though I'm sure just about anybody would put Tom's live performances to shame, I'm aware that he never really tried there, at least not since prior to blink breaking up.  I'm not sure if there is anyone else I'd prefer to have Skiba's place in the band, I certainly can't think of anyone else more fitting.  But maybe that's just me.

Haven't they said they're going back to record more after the tour and a short break and get ready to start the next cycle?

I think Skiba's doing well for the band. One thing that complicates assessing his input is that the processing of writing and recording California has been truly collaborative - Matt came up with the "black shirt, black skirt and Bauhaus stuck in her head" lyric, even though Mark sings it. And Matt was instrumental in writing and arranging the song California, even though he barely comes through as a background vocalist on the song. So it's harder to gauge just how important he's been; I'm assuming many of his contributions aren't obviously his, and conversely, some of the lyrics or riffs he plays might have come from someone else.

I feel like with the combination of Neighborhoods flopping (even though I consider it a superior album to Cali) and having to sell the band to their existent audience with a new member replacing a beloved love, California makes sense. They had to play it safe with the 'guise of a "fun, back to basics with modern flare" album. I think that was more of Matt playing along rather than stepping aside. It worked. The singles did well, it outsold what was supposed to be their big comeback record, and got nominated for their first ever Grammy.

It was kind of the place they had to go to so they can pass go and collect $200 the next go around. I'm hoping that's the case and the next album's a bit more real. I'll give it one more chance after Cali Deluxe.

• Like 5

I'm just glad I still get to be excited for new Blink music, and am not constantly disappointed with delays and delays and delays.  Its also nice that I get to continue to go to Blink 182 shows and see them live, even if we're missing a beloved original member.  I'd rather we have Matt than have nothing at all to look forward to.

I like California btw, its not perfect, but there's some good, fun stuff on that album.  I was really sour on 'Parking Lot' at release, but now I really like it so... I guess what I'm saying is, thank fucking god for Matt Skiba.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Agreed. Mike's on fucking drugs. Strong ones. Class A's

He should go listen to Dude Ranch, Enema of the State, Take of Your Pants & Jacket and Untitled.

Then try telling me Mark and Matt sound better together, needs to get his head checked. Bloke is absolutely bat shit crazy tbh, should see someone and get help. 

• Like 2

Classic Tom sounds better with Mark than Matt ever will. They're vocal range and tone is far too similar, the only difference is that Matt has more 'gruffness' to it. You can't vocally beat the old Tom / Mark combination. you just can't. 

• Like 7