Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

5 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Ghent and his broternity and 14 year girls are loving it too.

That's about it though. 

You forgot Helen. ;)

Because somebody mentioned that Matt didn't drag Alkaline trio fans along in comparison to Tom who did that with Blink:

Tom "needed" Blink for the money while Matt would have no benefit in announcing respectively delaying Alkaline Trio stuff because he cashes in on Blink big time atm.

I still have some hope that Matt's influence on further records will be more visible. Maybe they needed this "safe approach" while integrating a new member. A big red flag is Feldy - I'm sure he is around for further records which gives me not much hope of having a record that breaks the boundaries...

10 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Still don't get why a 30 year old man would want a band to continue to write songs for 14 year olds. That is just really strange. Ghent can't seem to address it either.

Maybe he is a 14 year old girl stuck in the body of a 30 year old dude...;D

15 hours ago, Ghost said:

Well, to be more accurate, the three of them (Matt, Dan and Derek) have had side projects since really back in the day, pretty much.

•  Dan, since he joined Alkaline Trio (beginning of 1998 more or less), he has been involved with The Falcon, and his solo endeavour that started in 2011.
  • Derek, since he joined in Alkaline Trio (back in 2001), he released solo stuff in 2008 and 2009, and has been playing with The Vandals and The Suicide Machine in a few shows. Also, I believe, with face to Face, but I think that was before joining AK3, so... if so, it doesn't count.
  • And Mat always has been involved in several projects. Solo shit aside his more recent Sekrets records, Heavens (2006), splic CD with Kevins Seconds (2002), The Hell with Atom Willard (2010) solo shows, etc, and even writing with some other people and doing some collaborations.

So, I don't see their side projects as a treat for Alkaline Trio per se. Of course, if they are not now doing AK3 things, they have to do something else aside from resting at home. Also, I hope this time off can serve as a refresher for the band.

A lot of this is #fakenews.

The Falcon was a one off record they did that got popular enough they had to do shows.  Then it was pushed to the side for years until Alk3 started drifting apart so they reformed it. 

I also don't think Skiba basically releasing demos and leftover songs in between Trio albums counts as a side project.  He just cranks out a lot of music and wants to do something with it.

Lets face it, it's pretty clear that Skiba just loves blink for the money. He's pretty much the same as Tom (just better at hiding it), once he's earned enough and had all he can take of being a session musician puppet to Mark and Feldmann he will bail and start writing/making the music he enjoys again for Trio and his other projects. 

He's just buzzing to be earning more money than he ever has when he's well past his best and coming to the end of his life cycle as a recording/touring musician. Don't blame the guy tbh, most people would milk the cash cow exactly the same in his shoes. The arrangement works for Mark too as he gets a bitch who will just follow orders and not challenge him as he doesn't want to get thrown off the blink-182 gravy train. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Still don't get why a 30 year old man would want a band to continue to write songs for 14 year olds. That is just really strange. Ghent can't seem to address it either.

One or two songs "written for 14 year olds" by a band whose core demographic has always been the youth is not gonna kill me Oliver. Age is just a number. Just because I'm 30 doesn't mean I have to listen exclusively to Wilco on vinyl.

At 45, you still listen to Weezer religiously, I would never tell you to stop listening to them just because you're approaching the age of a grandfather.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

A lot of this is #fakenews.

The Falcon was a one off record they did that got popular enough they had to do shows.  Then it was pushed to the side for years until Alk3 started drifting apart so they reformed it. 

I also don't think Skiba basically releasing demos and leftover songs in between Trio albums counts as a side project.  He just cranks out a lot of music and wants to do something with it.

#noidea

The Falcon has 3 releases: an EP in 2004, an album in 2006, and another album in 2016.

Skiba didn't release demos and leftover songs, well... he released ONE album of demos only. The acoustic EP with Kevin Seconds leaded him to do a mini tour solo. Heavens release got him on tour too. The first Sekrets record got him on tour too. Las one no. He did not any touring with it, and in between, solo shows and appearances/collaborations with other artists.

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

#noidea

The Falcon has 3 releases: an EP in 2004, an album in 2006, and another album in 2016.

Skiba didn't release demos and leftover songs, well... he released ONE album of demos only. The acoustic EP with Kevin Seconds leaded him to do a mini tour solo. Heavens release got him on tour too. The first Sekrets record got him on tour too. Las one no. He did not any touring with it, and in between, solo shows and appearances/collaborations with other artists.

The EP/first album were one-offs.  They didn't function as an active band, because at the time every member was in an active band (The Lawrence Arms, Alk3).

You're acting like a collaborative effort with friends is the same thing as what Dan is doing now solo, which it isn't.

5 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Be-fucking-have yourself mate.

Don't think I've ever heard something so ridiculous in my whole life. 

Well I'm not gonna apologize for sharing my honest opinion.  Tom's voice is unique for sure, but its never been a particularly good voice, though it was always serviceable for what they were doing, and I wouldn't say was the best compliment to Mark's voice either.  If you disagree, that's cool, but I'm just telling it how I genuinely feel.

I don't read other Blink sites or the Blink reddit so I can't claim to know the pulse of the fanbase or anything, but just based on how me and all of my friends feel, he's been a letdown only because of high expectations.

I've never been huge on Alkaline Trio, I think some of their songs are genius and others are just decent, but there's no doubt that when Skiba joined the band there was a sense of "Whoa! Blink could've gotten some lame poppy dude to replace Tom but they went the other direction and added someone with real authenticity in the punk-world, this is going to turn out really interesting and cool!"

Hearing Bored To Death was incredible, I knew right away that their voices could never go together as well as Mark/Tom but the song was great. It seemed like he was going to be a great match.

Fast forward to now and somehow the Skiba era is poppier than ever before. It just leaves me feeling let down so far. I said many times before California came out that I hope they bring the fun side back to Blink, so it's not like I was hoping for Skiba to come in with super dark gothy songs or anything at all. But the Feldy influence very obviously dwarfed anything Skiba has brought to the table so far. Maybe he loves the music and working with Feldy, maybe he's too timid to make his presence felt, maybe he doesn't give a shit, none of us know for sure. But it's gonna be really interesting to follow the next couple releases.

• Like 1

I've never been a big fan of Alkaline Trio, so for me, Matt has been a majorly pleasant surprise.

Death and skulls and misery would have killed the essence of blink. If he wanted to continue writing stuff like that, he would have stayed where he was.

A +44/Alkaline hybrid band would have been an absolute, total letdown for me.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I've never been a big fan of Alkaline Trio, so for me, Matt has been a majorly pleasant surprise.

Death and skulls and misery would have killed the essence of blink. If he wanted to continue writing stuff like that, he would have stayed where he was.

A +44/Alkaline hybrid band would have been an absolute, total letdown for me.

I actually agree with you there, other than +44 I don't think Mark has ever been comfortable with that type of "dark" songwriting anyway. But I just also don't really like THIS general direction either haha.

So far they've nailed a good mix of styles (in my opinion) with:

Cynical, Bored To Death, Left Alone, Rabbit Hole, San Diego, TOTTM. If that was a 6 song EP and the full-length never existed I would've been absolutely stoked on Skiba-182 haha

Isn't it pretty normal not to like EVERY song on an album though?

Although I enjoy the album, there are a few on Neighborhoods that are flops for me. And on California there are a couple I'd have cut.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Isn't it pretty normal not to like EVERY song on an album though?

Although I enjoy the album, there are a few on Neighborhoods that are flops for me. And on California there are a couple I'd have cut.

Oh yeah definitely. For me, those are the ONLY songs I ever listen to on purpose though. Even taking out the joke songs that's less than half of the album. But in general, it's totally normal to not like every song. Neighborhoods is a perfect example.

2 hours ago, M!ke said:

Well I'm not gonna apologize for sharing my honest opinion.  Tom's voice is unique for sure, but its never been a particularly good voice, though it was always serviceable for what they were doing, and I wouldn't say was the best compliment to Mark's voice either.  If you disagree, that's cool, but I'm just telling it how I genuinely feel.

Tom's shitty angsty compliment to Marks mellow calm voice is literally what Blink 182 IS.  I guarantee that's a main aspect that even drew you to listening to Blink.

Definitely should apologize.

• Like 1

Tom's voice complimented Mark's very well from Enema-Untitled, when he used the snotty pop punk nasal voice.

Nothing special before or after that era though, as far as their voices working together.

• Like 1

I think the vocal blending between mark and tom worked very well after the reunion in particular. Up all night, After Midnight, This is home, Ghost on the Dancefloor (!), dogs eating dogs etc....

It probably is one of the things i miss the most with the current line up....

• Like 2