Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

You know damn well he wasn't groomed.

No I don't? he could've been. If she's known him for years she easily could have manipulated said trust and relationship. just because teenage guys are all for attention from any woman doesn't make it okay and not a form of manipulation. You could argue she took advantage of his hormones to cloud his decision making and manipulated him into wanting something he couldn't understand. 

Just now, Kay said:

No I don't? he could've been. If she's known him for years she easily could have manipulated said trust and relationship. just because teenage guys are all for attention from any woman doesn't make it okay and not a form of manipulation. You could argue she took advantage of his hormones to cloud his decision making and manipulated him into wanting something he couldn't understand. 

That's remarded.

She's not a super villian, she's a weirdo who fucked a 17 year old. It really isn't all that complicated.

38 minutes ago, Speedo said:

You make it sound like she was getting moist on toddlers or something.

She knew a kid, the kid grew up, was well past the age of consent for most of the US and they fucked. No big deal. She wasn't exactly diddling the kid after class.

By definition of most states, the kid wasn't a child, ergo, not a child molester. Oliver, I love you man and I say this with all due respect but the extremes are getting grating. Tone it down a bit, not every issue has to be Little Richard levels of theatrics. 

I don't care for Matt Skiba. Don't like the guy. From his music, to him shitting on Blink, to his bullshit hypocritical anti cop politics. He is garbage. So yes, I am definitely overstating the negative against him. I fully admit that.

Still, to kind of circle back to what Kay was saying, she is in her 30's, and he is 17, and while that's ok in many states, it could certainly be coercive. It certainly could have caused emotional distress.

Thinking back to when I was 17, if someone in their 30's had sex with me, it would definitely have messed me up mentally, and definitely would have been coercive.

4 minutes ago, Speedo said:

That's remarded.

She's not a super villian, she's a weirdo who fucked a 17 year old. It really isn't all that complicated.

No it isn't but I'm mostly playing devils advocate. 

Most guys I know would probably jump at the chance to be with any decent looking woman if they were 17. They wouldn't even complain if they were 13 either. I remember back in my early teens, sex was all guys could ever talk about. Highly doubt they'd ever give a shit if an older woman slept with them. They'd probably have a party about it if it ever happened.

Just now, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

So I guess what Harvey Weinstein did was okay too, many of those women were over the age of 18.

Obviously they probably enjoyed it, even if they said they didn't. (this guy said it messed him up)

Yeah that's my point - even if he wanted it at 17, he's still in an unbalanced situation with an older authoritative trusted figure. it's just as bad as if it happened to a young girl and an older man. 

• Like 1

Just now, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

So I guess what Harvey Weinstein did was okay too, many of those women were over the age of 18.

Obviously they probably enjoyed it, even if they said they didn't. (this guy said it messed him up)

Harvey Weinstein raped people

Just now, Nosferatu said:

Most guys I know would probably jump at the chance to be with any decent looking woman if they were 17. They wouldn't even complain if they were 13 either. I remember back in my early teens, sex was all guys could ever talk about. Highly doubt they'd ever give a shit if an older woman slept with them. They'd probably have a party about it if it ever happened.

haha, I'd have died of happiness at 17 if an older (beautiful of course) woman fucked me. It was great enough getting action with peers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Thinking back to when I was 17, if someone in their 30's had sex with me, it would definitely have messed me up mentally, and definitely would have been coercive.

I agree. I think people who are normalizing this are kind of missing some emotional maturity.

Just now, Nosferatu said:

Because he's a guy, he likes being raped.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

I don't care for Matt Skiba. Don't like the guy. From his music, to him shitting on Blink, to his bullshit hypocritical anti cop politics. He is garbage. So yes, I am definitely overstating the negative against him. I fully admit that.

Still, to kind of circle back to what Kay was saying, she is in her 30's, and he is 17, and while that's ok in many states, it could certainly be coercive. It certainly could have caused emotional distress.

When I was 17 I made out and fingered a 30+ year old who showed up at a party we were having. I would have gotten laid too had it not been for a friend trying to peak in through the windows and being fucking obnoxiously loud about it. I know we are all big on mental safety right but the human mind is not as fragile as its made up to be. I think you (and him) would be okay. You are the most sexual deviant person I know, I know damn well you're playing this up.

Just now, _Kyle_ said:

I agree. I think people who are normalizing this are kind of missing some emotional maturity.

Because he's a guy, he likes being raped.

Exactly - it continues this double standard. Boys can be all about bravado when they're teenagers but hormones don't make everything okay mentally. if you're taken advantage of by a trusted older person it can leave you with trust and intimacy issues. 

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

When I was 17 I made out and fingered a 30+ year old who showed up at a party we were having. I would have gotten laid too had it not been for a friend trying to peak in through the windows and being fucking obnoxiously loud about it. I know we are all big on mental safety right but the human mind is not as fragile as its made up to be. I think you (and him) would be okay. You are the most sexual deviant person I know, I know damn well you're playing this up.

and you were fine with it. good for you. doesn't automatically mean others would be. 

Just now, Kay said:

Exactly - it continues this double standard. Boys can be all about bravado when they're teenagers but hormones don't make everything okay mentally. if you're taken advantage of by a trusted older person it can leave you with trust and intimacy issues. 

Taken advantage of is different than consensual sex though. At age 17 I'd have been able to make a responsible decision about fucking a 30 year old.

Totally different story if coercion or anything rapey or abuse of power is involved.

5 minutes ago, Kay said:

No it isn't but I'm mostly playing devils advocate. 

It super is.

I won't say it doesn't happen because it absolutely does but those traits aren't typical in women and most people don't put that much thought into the stupid shit they do.

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Taken advantage of is different than consensual sex though. At age 17 I'd have been able to make a responsible decision about fucking a 30 year old.

Totally different story if coercion or anything rapey or abuse of power is involved.

The state of California (heh) thinks differently. What she did was technically rape.

Wait a second, this isn't just some "high school student hooked up with his hot 24 year old teacher, oh boo hoo what a tragedy" type of thing. I mean, when they first met, the guy involved was 7 and she was 27, he said their sexual encounter (which was 10 years later) was wrong and he felt manipulated and taken advantage of and that it amounted to sexual assault, right? It's not like he's out there going "THAT WAS SO SWEET, HOORAY FOR ME"

Why are we defending this person again?

• Like 2