Scott Raynor playing Carousel in 2017 with some random dudes

tussy

Scott just seems like a good dude to me. He doesn't look like he wants to be playing that, but he's probably doing it just because he's nice and his friends wanted to play a blink song with him.

How cool would it be to jam to some blink songs with the original blink drummer? I'd love to play Carousel with Scott.

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:59 AM, ...Dan... said:

He's such an awful drummer.

How good would Dude Ranch sound if they rerecorded it with Travis?

He's not an awful drummer, one dimensional, sure, but not awful.

Dude Ranch would sound like shit if they re did it with Travis, he would place way too many fills in the songs that don't fit.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

He's not an awful drummer, one dimensional, sure, but not awful.

Dude Ranch would sound like shit if they re did it with Travis, he would place way too many fills in the songs that don't fit.

He's terrible, listen to how much better than Dude Ranch songs sound on Mark Tom & Travis Show, he would def add a lot to those songs if they re-recorded. 

His drumming doesn't sound too bad on recording at points but live he really is all over the place. Terrible with tempo and timing. 

6 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

He's terrible, listen to how much better than Dude Ranch songs sound on Mark Tom & Travis Show, he would def add a lot to those songs if they re-recorded. 

His drumming doesn't sound too bad on recording at points but live he really is all over the place. Terrible with tempo and timing. 

I don't think you are a drummer, because he isn't bad, lots of little things he does are cool, like the middle section of Dammit, the Josie beat is very hard to pull off with a single bass pedal.

When Travis does Scott's songs he doesn't change much usually except adding a few fills and everything is sped up.

Scott was a perfect drummer for Dude Ranch, the raw, gritty punk rock sound fit perfect with his drums. I wouldn't want Travis on it, he'd totally destroy part of what makes that album amazing.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Olidamus said:

I don't think you are a drummer, because he isn't bad, lots of little things he does are cool, like the middle section of Dammit, the Josie beat is very hard to pull off with a single bass pedal.

When Travis does Scott's songs he doesn't change much usually except adding a few fills and everything is sped up.

Scott was a perfect drummer for Dude Ranch, the raw, gritty punk rock sound fit perfect with his drums. I wouldn't want Travis on it, he'd totally destroy part of what makes that album amazing.

pretty much all of this.

i've been a drummer for 30 years. travis is a more skilled technical player. no doubt. but scott has a certain energy and soul in his playing that is undeniable. technical prowse is only one dimension to mastering an instrument. i've said it before elsewhere on these forums, but travis' machine-like delivery just leaves me cold; i find it boring. i prefer scott's playing.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Scott just seems like a good dude to me. He doesn't look like he wants to be playing that, but he's probably doing it just because he's nice and his friends wanted to play a blink song with him.

he was the kindest and most genuine of the three original members.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

I wouldn't say terrible, but I do agree with your point.  The Mark, Tom, & Travis Show versions of all the Dude Ranch songs were just overall more enjoyable to listen to than the actual Dude Ranch studio versions (which I still very much enjoy mind you).  The easiest comparison you can make though is listening to both studio recordings of Mutt, the Scott version and the Travis version, the drums in the Travis version are sooooo much better, its not even a question.

I think people often forget he was only 16 when Cheshire was recorded and 18 for Dude Ranch, many people continue to grow skillwise as musicans well into their 20's and he had talent, that's for sure. Just listen to Stevo from Sum 41, the drumming on HHOP is kind of boring but it continually got better over the years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

pretty much all of this.

i've been a drummer for 30 years. travis is a more skilled technical player. no doubt. but scott has a certain energy and soul in his playing that is undeniable. technical prowse is only one dimension to mastering an instrument. i've said it before elsewhere on these forums, but travis' machine-like delivery just leaves me cold; i find it boring. i prefer scott's playing.

While I prefer Travis's playing (by a lot), I do agree with this basic assessment. Scott's groovier -- and actually, one of the groovier punk drummers of the era, in any band -- and that's something he has on Travis (if you like that sort of thing). But his drumming just wasn't professional enough to take the band where it wanted to go.

Unrelated, but Travis's drumming has also gotten worse (at least stylistically) in the last five or ten years. He's not as spunky or creative as he used to be. Some of his beats have gotten harder to play, but that's about the only "improvement" against a myriad of downgrades to his skill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

pretty much all of this.

I'd say Travis had plenty of soul up until California, which I would agree is super machine like and over dominating.

Maybe it was the mixing, but Travis really brought a charm on Enema n Toypaj. Untitled - DED was just super cool and unique drumming.

California was just overbearing on most tracks, it left me cold too.

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

he was the kindest and most genuine of the three original members.

I can see that, I got to speak with him briefly in 2001 and he seemed like such a nice guy, involved with charities to help kids and such. He also seemed really grounded in life, whereas you look at Mark, and Tom, who I think both have their demons , and I wonder if fame is really worth it.

• Like 1