Scott Raynor playing Carousel in 2017 with some random dudes

tussy

I love both Scott and Travis's style. I like the fact that Scott had proper in your face approach, the drums are one of my favourite parts of Dude Ranch and Scotts energy just worked really well with the sloppier more frantic guitar parts Tom was employing back then. Perfect fit, if you ask me. songs like Enthused and Pathetic are just fantastic with Scott. I don't prefer the MTAT versions at all. 

I really appreciate the work Travis brought to the table though, it was just different and changed how blink would sound forever. in some ways I think it made the guys lazy (who needs a showing off guitar part or bass solo when you've got Travis!) but overall I appreciate the dynamic shift. 

My favourite 'era' for Travis's work is the BCR record. the drums just stand out so much on that record and its an integral part of the mood of it all. that record wouldnt have worked with anyone else behind the kit. That being said I definitely think his later contributions (neighborhoods onwards, really) has just been *too* much, to the point where it all becomes a little bit like noise. the only track I can think of where I think "wow, the drums really shine here" is Kaleidoscope. I mean, he's always impressive, the drums always sound impressive with him, but they don't leave a lasting impression as much anymore, they don't sound like unique parts just... well theres Travis going mental again, I guess.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Scott shows us he can do a hell of a lot more with some of the complex stuff he does, but where he is simple; it fits. Sometimes there is talent behind simplicity. Sometimes as a drummer you have to know when simplicity works better than something complex (a concept Travis doesn't grasp).

i couldn't have said it better. virtuocity comes in many forms. coming from the world of visual art and design, i can say that simplicity is as challenging—if not even more so—than 'complicated' work.

• Like 2

I appreciate it's your favourite era of Blink but you really need to stop trying to make it something that it wasn't.

I've seen enough videos of Scott live to suggest that he's a sloppy drummer that kept things simple because he wasn't capable of being more inventive and playing live.

I don't think it has the deep profound meaning/minimalist drumming that you and Oliver are trying to make out tbh. I still love that era of Blink I just sometimes wish the drumming could of been a big more inventive at times.

2 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

I appreciate it's your favourite era of Blink

and i appreciate that you don't agree with my analysis. i've had over 20 years to think it over.

scott is a certain kind of drummer, with certain strengths and certain aspects lacking. so is travis. that's the objective matter.

you haven't seen enough videos of scott to suggest that he's a sloppy drummer, at all. firstly, the majority of the clips that are available are from the dude ranch era; scott was already losing interest in the band and his dissatisfaction is palpable particularly though winter 97 / spring 98.

secondly, i saw blink nearly 50 times between 1995 and 1998. i've seen off nights and amazing nights. lazy nights and tired nights and incredible nights.

thirdly, you're ignoring his recorded studio output. try playing cheshire cat through completely, track for track. sloppy? hardly. good luck.

you're confusing "capable of being more inventive" with deciding how and when being "inventive" is appropriate.

subjectively, i prefer scott's style. but that's purely personal. i acknowledge travis' skill on an objective level, however.

you "wish the drumming could of [sic] been a big [sic] more inventive at times." and that, too, is purely personal.

• Like 1

I love Scott's drumming. Especially on Dude Ranch. He doesn't try to do the annoying Fat Wreck drumming. If DR sounded like a No Use for a Name record, it wouldn't be as good. I think his drumming is perfect for what it is. 

Travis' drumming on Fury of, Enema and the three self-titles is great, maybe some of my favorite drumming (Not that I care much for Transplants). On other releases? Not so much. I feel like he ruins more than he brings to Blink. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Clarke said:

Does Scott ever age?  I'm not trying to rip on the guy at all, but it seems that his face, clothing, hair, people he's around, etc just never really changes 

He's like a scrawny white Will Smith

• Like 1