(Song Showdown 1) Bored to Death vs Up All Night

Plus-182

(Song Showdown) Bored to Death vs Up All Night  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Both songs were released after a long musical drought by the band. Which one is more superior?

• Bored to Death (California)
    • Up All Night (Neighborhoods)

Something that I'm gonna do weekly now since that Album Showdown thing gained traction again. There's no tournament-style, just two songs with similar sounds/backgrounds pitted against each other.

The winner will be announced tonight.

Here's how it works:

Sunday: New Contest

Monday: Voting/Final Results

Tuesday: New Contest

Wednesday: Voting/Final Results

Thursday: New Contest

Friday: Voting/Final Results

Saturday: No contest or voting

very interesting poll. UAN is a serious misfire, one i can't believe they chose for a lead single. it's got maybe the worst lyrics on any blink song ever released ("everyone raises kids in a world that changes life to a bitter game") though BTD isn't much better ("rescuing a tiger from a tree"). UAN's instrumentation is more interesting to me (i actually enjoy the synths), though the 10-year old riff sounds a little canned and out-of-place with the rest of the song. it also seems to lack an ending IMO. BTD's chorus seemed a little schlock-y to me the first time i heard it, but i won't deny that the bridge might be all-time blink. it reminds me of feeling this.

soooo... BTD.

Voted Up All Night. I really like Bored to Death but feel much more emotion with UAN. While not the best lyrics it's definitely deeper than BTD. I also feel UAN is exactly what Blink should have sounded like after Untitled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Up All Night falls somewhere close to the group of least liked songs on Neighborhoods for me but it's still way better than Bored To Death. Bored To Death was a huge let down for me, too generic, and that quasi-riff part at the beginning - that could be written by a 10-year old. But they even managed to simplify it to a two-note riff in No Future and San Diego

55 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Up All Night gave me joy that no post-reunion song has given me, solely because it was the first song they released. I'll never forget the feeling I had when I first heard my favorite band finally releasing new music again.

However, Bored to Death easily takes the cake here.

Yeah, pretty much this. I almost cried of happiness when I first heard Up All Night.

But Bored to Death is easily the better song.

I remember when I got in one of those hangouts with mark before neighborhoods came out and after up all night came out, he mentioned that the decision for the lead single with the label was between Up All Night and GOTDF . They ultimately went with Up All Night because of two years of hype around as we know, but I imagine Tom was really pushing for GOTDF because he's stated many times that song is exactly what he wanted blink to be. I wonder how that song would have been received commercially as the comeback song. 

20 minutes ago, NotNow said:

I remember when I got in one of those hangouts with mark before neighborhoods came out and after up all night came out, he mentioned that the decision for the lead single with the label was between Up All Night and GOTDF . They ultimately went with Up All Night because of two years of hype around as we know, but I imagine Tom was really pushing for GOTDF because he's stated many times that song is exactly what he wanted blink to me. I wonder how that song would have been received commercially as the comeback song. 

Whoa, it would be super interesting to see how GOTDF would have done in comparison.

• Like 1

Not only was I super disappointed with Up All Night when it was released , but I was very sick with mono, so I have no positive memories associated with that song. 

I think its one of the worst songs on the album along with After Midnight. They were also the 2 worst music videos they ever made. Im still puzzled to this day why those 2 songs were promoted over Ghost on the Dancefloor, Wishing Well, Kaleidoscope. They should have been left on the cutting room floor! 

• Like 1