(Song Showdown 1) Bored to Death vs Up All Night

Plus-182

(Song Showdown) Bored to Death vs Up All Night  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Both songs were released after a long musical drought by the band. Which one is more superior?

• Bored to Death (California)
    • Up All Night (Neighborhoods)

I voted Up All Night.

I have major issues with the track, it's easily one of the worst from Neighborhoods and I think it's got dumb lyrics and that awful intro and I have so many complaints. I have slagged that track off time and time again, but I cried when I the chorus broke for the first time. I have a distinct memory of being sat in the attic of my shared house in uni, with headphones on, sitting on the floor, back against the wall, listening aggressively if thats even possible to do, full of nerves and cynicism and then the chorus broke and I cried because somewhere buried in that god-awful song was something that sounded like 'blink' to me. it was that click that you just have with Mark and Tom, even though its very few and far between on that record. 

I now also have a distinct memory of hearing BTD for the first time last year. I was so pumped for blink with skiba, it seemed like the perfect fit and I was so excited. I saw on my phone that the song had been released, and I ran upstairs like a nutter almost breaking my neck in the process to listen to it on my laptop with my headphones, scaring the crap out of my missus in the process. I sat. I listened and I waited for it to be awesome and it just... wasn't. it wasn't bad, it had all the elements there for me to enjoy and I just kind of didn't. it didn't sound right to me, but I perceviered and I listened over and over to try and force myself to like it, to 'get it' and I just didn't. I was still excited for Matt with blink but I didn't have any urge to listen to it again after that first night. I still tried a few times but they all fell flat to me.

To this day, I think BTD is one of the worst songs on California. I know I'm very much alone in that estimation as most people, even the ones who dislike the record as a whole, seem to like that one the most but I just can't get into it. 

It's weird because I should by all accounts hate Up All Night, and I definitely don't love it, but I'll always have a soft spot for it.

and I should like BTD, aside from the production theres nothing necessarily "wrong" with it, and everyone else seems to like it so I'm clearly missing something, but I just don't. the song is dull to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I voted Up All Night.

I have major issues with the track, it's easily one of the worst from Neighborhoods and I think it's got dumb lyrics and that awful intro and I have so many complaints. I have slagged that track off time and time again, but I cried when I the chorus broke for the first time. I have a distinct memory of being sat in the attic of my shared house in uni, with headphones on, sitting on the floor, back against the wall, listening aggressively if thats even possible to do, full of nerves and cynicism and then the chorus broke and I cried because somewhere buried in that god-awful song was something that sounded like 'blink' to me. it was that click that you just have with Mark and Tom, even though its very few and far between on that record. 

I now also have a distinct memory of hearing BTD for the first time last year. I was so pumped for blink with skiba, it seemed like the perfect fit and I was so excited. I saw on my phone that the song had been released, and I ran upstairs like a nutter almost breaking my neck in the process to listen to it on my laptop with my headphones, scaring the crap out of my missus in the process. I sat. I listened and I waited for it to be awesome and it just... wasn't. it wasn't bad, it had all the elements there for me to enjoy and I just kind of didn't. it didn't sound right to me, but I perceviered and I listened over and over to try and force myself to like it, to 'get it' and I just didn't. I was still excited for Matt with blink but I didn't have any urge to listen to it again after that first night. I still tried a few times but they all fell flat to me.

To this day, I think BTD is one of the worst songs on California. I know I'm very much alone in that estimation as most people, even the ones who dislike the record as a whole, seem to like that one the most but I just can't get into it. 

It's weird because I should by all accounts hate Up All Night, and I definitely don't love it, but I'll always have a soft spot for it.

and I should like BTD, aside from the production theres nothing necessarily "wrong" with it, and everyone else seems to like it so I'm clearly missing something, but I just don't. the song is dull to me. 

I have a picture of me listening to UAN for the first time LOL. It was such a historical moment. I was in a hotel parking lot stealing their internet. I hated it, and people hated me for hating it, said I needed to move on from Blink (sound familiar?). I think people got too caught up in "Oh its Blink, they are back!" It was not a good track. I was disappointed.

14 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

I have a picture of me listening to UAN for the first time LOL. It was such a historical moment. I was in a hotel parking lot stealing their internet. I hated it, and people hated me for hating it, said I needed to move on from Blink (sound familiar?). I think people got too caught up in "Oh its Blink, they are back!" It was not a good track. I was disappointed.

Olidamus strikes again. :D

12 minutes ago, Osgod said:

Olidamus strikes again. :D

I like a lot of the tracks on the album that people don't like, FTG, Love is Dangerous, Even if she falls is a hidden gem.  HOG is amazing, so is Wishing well, Natives, Kaleidoscope.

Less impressed with GOTDF, After Midnight, This is Home, they are ok, but missing something. I'd rate those on par with California tracks.

MH and UAN suck.

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

Bored to Death.

Never liked UAN, one of the worst tracks on Neighborhoods whereas BTD is one of the better tracks on California.

Man i remember you hated up all night the second those 30 second preview clips came out. Then when the actual song came out oh man forget about it. 

I voted Bored to death on this. I enjoyed Up alll night when it came out but i honestly thought and still think it sounds like dog shit live. 

Up All Night for me, still love that song. I never thought I'd hear another new Blink song again, and there it was. Matured and evolved, a natural progression that sounded authentic for that point of their careers IMO. And lyrics that resonated with me:

"Everyone falls and spins and gets up again with a friend, who does the same."

BTD is a banger, but I'll take UAN all day. Bums me out that the 10 second UAN guitar intro riff is better than any guitar work on all of California IMHO. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

Man i remember you hated up all night the second those 30 second preview clips came out. Then when the actual song came out oh man forget about it. 

I voted Bored to death on this. I enjoyed Up alll night when it came out but i honestly thought and still think it sounds like dog shit live. 

LOL, yep.

Speaking of UAN live, I went to a Blink show with a guy who use to post here, in Oct 2009, and Blink opened with UAN and it sounded SOOO bad, like even worse than normal, that I remember we both looked at each other and were like "What is this shit?"

Blink had been floating the UAN riff around since the Untitled days.
Shows how uninspired the writing process was for that song. 

Throw away an awesome riff because it was written in their prime and never used? Hmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kay said:

I voted Up All Night.

Nah you're not alone.

Not a huge fan of UAN, but BTD is so much worse to me. Such a disappointment. My expectations were probably to high and all, but still. What a stupid song (to me).

• Like 1