Blink to start recording a new album at the end of 2017

High Value Man

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

What about Star Wars? 

Do you two have anything else in common? Hopefully you like Foo Fighters as well, then you have three things to talk about!

For fighters lol proper dad rock. Some quality tunes but on the whole they're boring as fuck. Kurt would be turning in his grave.

8 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

But we all know that song was churned out pretty quickly too, the wait for Neighborhoods was long but we all know deep down that it was thrown together pretty quickly, they just spent about a year and a half fannying about doing nothing.

There is a middle ground between them doing absolutely nothing and churning out new music every single year. I'd love them to take their time and spend 6-12 months writing and recording an album like they did for Untitled, play around with ideas, experiment and try to develop their sound into something with a bit more substance. 

Be really interesting as to whether they stick with the current sound or try to progress, I hope they let Skiba bring his shit to the table and make Feldmann take a backstep (preferably get someone else but highly doubt that's going to happen) - God Jerry Finn, was a fucking genius looking back. 

I'll be excited to listen as always but expectations are lower than they have ever been, hopefully they'll surprise me and smash one out of the park. 

They've become lazy. There's no excuse for getting in the studio and giving everything they have to write and record a great album, instead they write 14 pop punk cliche songs and basically fuck the old fans. It's clear to see Tom was the creative force behind the band, without him we would of never had Untitled. Mark is lazy, doesn't care and out of ideas. 

8 minutes ago, Osgod said:

I think Mark cares about Blink and of course also about the money that comes with it but he kind of lost it after the +44 record. That's why he handed the key to Feldy and the other helpers and stepped out of the way. 

I think Mark had some good writing and ideas and was just a little hesitant and second guessing himself without Tom and then when Feldmann came into play and was really aggressive and knew what he want he just handed it ALL over.

At this point there's no turning back either.

• Like 2

It feels like the guys have kind of handed the band over to the label suits and said "here, do with it what you want and send us the check". Mark is scared shitless to be a leader or whatever, Matt is the new guy and is ok guitarist for hire as long as there is a payday , Travis has always kind of just been the "play me a tune and I will give you the drums".

So the label suits do what they do best, hire a fucking Hillary Duff cokehead and have him write songs for 14 year olds.

Its sad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

It feels like the guys have kind of handed the band over to the label suits and said "here, do with it what you want and send us the check". Mark is scared shitless to be a leader or whatever, Matt is the new guy and is ok guitarist for hire as long as there is a payday , Travis has always kind of just been the "play me a tune and I will give you the drums".

So the label suits do what they do best, hire a fucking Hillary Duff cokehead and have him write songs for 14 year olds.

Its sad.

Yep, they basically became one of "these" bands...honestly, there is not much difference between Blink, Good Charlotte and ATL these days...

• Like 1

Did blink actually sell out though?

@daveyjones said that it was Mark and Tom's goal to become rich and famous so that kind of means that didn't really sell out.

It would be different if they were saying they were punk and didn't want to be apart of the mainstream pop music and then they went and released Enema.

6 minutes ago, Dylan_ said:

@daveyjones said that it was Mark and Tom's goal to become rich and famous so that kind of means that didn't really sell out.

It would be different if they were saying they were punk and didn't want to be apart of the mainstream pop music and then they went and released Enema.

Yeah I think the "sellout" argument only makes sense if they were ever anti-mainstream and claimed to be true authentic punks or something. They always just seemed to be guys who loved the fun and energy of punk rock and realized they had a knack for making it catchy as shit and just went for it.

• Like 3

This is what Mark said:

We’ll take a little bit of time off, and then at the end of this year we’ll go back in the studio and start writing the next album. We have such a positive energy going on right now … a creative flow. Everybody has a bunch of ideas and we want to capture that. We’ll get in the studio as soon as possible.

Actually there's no concrete date, so... we'll see. If the plan is to go into the studio for writing -wth Feldmann, we suppose-, maybe the album comes on summer 2018.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand, if so... RIP Alkaline Trio :-(

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

This is what Mark said:

Interesting. I just can't imagine the type of "creative flow" and "bunch of ideas we want to capture" they have when the stuff they've been releasing has seemed a bit uninspired and formulaic. The smartass in me is just thinking maybe they want to just keep rifling through the Fedly Factory's treasure trove of melodies and progressions before other bands can pick and choose haha

12 minutes ago, Dylan_ said:

yea not in my view.

imo, selling out means doing something creatively that you wouldn't normally do, just for fame and fortune. it's not about popularity, it's about what you do to achieve it. you can be the biggest band in the world and have never sold out (R.E.M. comes to mind).

mark and tom always wanted to be rich and famous, and they never changed their schtick or their sound (in a major way) to achieve that. i thought "all the small things" was stupid, but it's only marginally more stupid than "the family next door" or "depends." the earlier stupidity is more charming in retrospect, but that's probably due to both the sonic unrefinement and the smaller intended audience.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I just can't imagine the type of "creative flow" and "bunch of ideas we want to capture" they have when the stuff they've been releasing has seemed a bit uninspired and formulaic.

art is in the eye (or this case the ear) of the beholder.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yea not in my view.

imo, selling out means doing something creatively that you wouldn't normally do, just for fame and fortune. it's not about popularity, it's about what you do to achieve it. you can be the biggest band in the world and have never sold out (R.E.M. comes to mind).

mark and tom always wanted to be rich and famous, and they never changed their schtick or their sound (in a major way) to achieve that. i thought "all the small things" was stupid, but it's only marginally more stupid than "the family next door" or "depends." the earlier stupidity is more charming in retrospect, but that's probably due to both the sonic unrefinement and the smaller intended audience.

Not so sure here...the sound from Dude Ranch to Enema changed a lot. How much of it was natural and how much of it was not? That is tough to say.

What about the Fender guitars? Did Tom really want to switch from Gibson to Fender? Or was he getting a good deal? (He went back to Gibson)

41 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Not so sure here...the sound from Dude Ranch to Enema changed a lot. How much of it was natural and how much of it was not? That is tough to say.

Dude Ranch may have been overall a more downbeat record than EotS and their older stuff, but there wasn't much new in terms of sound on EotS (aside from the obviously dramatic shift in production values). The transition from TOYPAJ to the untitled was far more dramatic.

Honestly for the next album, all they need a producer who is going to lock them in the studio for 6+ months and won't be afraid to say: Look, this isn't the worst song you've written, but come on. You're better than this.

I actually understand where Feldmann was going with the whole "Write me a chorus NOW" technique to try and help Mark get through writer's block. It really is an effective method to get someone to let go and just write. But at the same time, you have to acknowledge its limitations. VERY RARELY do you actually get a good song. Something like Dammit is the exception rather than the rule. It's like writing a book, most times the rough draft is going to be pretty bad.

Look at Untitled. Weren't they in the studio the better part of 8 months or something nuts like that? They just need someone to step up and not be afraid to call it like it is.

• Like 7