Matt Skiba - Ultimate Guitar interview

Ghost

And there are literally thousands of people who didn't know about Alkaline Trio that are going to be checking them out now when blink slows down and Matt goes back.

I will be buying their next record when I wouldn't have given two shits about it before.

• Like 2

Matt was given the opportunity of a lifetime, and took it. Anyone would. They've all branched off on side projects before, this doesn't seem like anything new. The interviews I've read, Dan was stoked for Matt, and Matt said Dan/Derek were the first people he called when it happened. As long as they play a few shows here and there, they will be fine financially. It's not Matt's fault that Dan/Derek play to crowds of 100 people at bars without him. I'm sure Matt is writing Alk3 stuff on the bus or in his spare time. I'm meeting them in 3 weeks, I'll ask him.

• Like 3

i think if I got 100K a year I would be pretty stoked and I could save it and live happy for a while, if I got millions though I would turn it down. Having too much money seems to only make people miserable. 

I don't know Skiba very well nor do I have any strong feelings about Alkaline Trio, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy who is only in blink for the money. I think that's a fair part of the equation but definitely not the whole thing. I feel like viscerally accusing him of being a total sellout is left-over emotions about how Tom behaved in the band post-2005. Which makes sense because he replaced Tom but it isn't fair to him.

I also think Skiba can still write good music, including with blink. The only reason he isn't atm is because of Feldmann and Mark.

In fact, Mark is more to blame for the state of the band atm, much more than Skiba. I just feel like Skiba gets the bulk of the hate because he's the new guy. But it being on stuff from the way he dresses to the way his voice sounds really seems more petty / resentful about him happening to be in the wrong place at the wrong time instead of any legitimate concern about what he's doing to the band. He's done barely anything. 

• Like 3

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a change from what has been previously said? I think that's a reason Alkaline fans are suddenly more concerned. When he joined I think he was saying stuff like "yeah we'll do Blink for a year then Alkaline Trio and we plan to go back and forth" but now it seems that he's not gonna end up going that route.

I'm not a big Alkaline Trio fan but if I was I'd probably be bummed too, ESPECIALLY as someone who wasn't a fan of California. It would suck to have a guy who you're a huge fan of be in your two favorite bands but somehow making quality music for neither of them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kay said:

Not if the band implodes because of it, it won't. 

on the alk3 facebook group people have been discussing for weeks the comments Derek and Dan have made in passing. They're not being quiet about it, they're unhappy. They're a lot more vocal and transparent with their fan base than blink have ever been, because their size allows them to be. They were initially very supportive but clearly the patience is waning, and if Matt is just going to be blink focused for years to come I don't see them hanging around. Nor should they.  

That's interesting, what have they been saying to fans?

Guy on Facebook who did a meet and greet said Travis told him how nice his alkaline trio tattoo was and that new alkaline trio was coming soon ...So I'm guessing he's going in the studio with trio after the summer and blink will be in December...But knowing blink probably feb

16 minutes ago, Kay said:

Not if the band implodes because of it, it won't. 

on the alk3 facebook group people have been discussing for weeks the comments Derek and Dan have made in passing. They're not being quiet about it, they're unhappy. They're a lot more vocal and transparent with their fan base than blink have ever been, because their size allows them to be. They were initially very supportive but clearly the patience is waning, and if Matt is just going to be blink focused for years to come I don't see them hanging around. Nor should they. They have other projects, but they care a lot about the fans, if nothing was going to happen I think they'd make it official. 

I am allowed to be upset that a musician I looked up to for a very long time, who wrote some of my favourite songs of all time, has made this watered down version of blink-182 his priority and essentially abandoned another band that meant a lot to me. 

If it was any other band, I'd be equally upset. blink-182 isn't the only band in the world, you know. 

I also hope that he isn't just looking at blink as a meal ticket. I'd rather he cared about the music he was doing with blink and that he had literally lost the ability to make good music anymore, over the idea that he just ditched his long time band for the money.

I can't really justify internally that he would be like that. I know a lot of people here seem to think that anyone would do anything for the right price but I just flat out don't think that's true. 

and yes I can see the argument that alk3 was treading water for a few albums but My Shame Is True was actually solid, and felt a lot like them getting back on track. I was so excited to see what would happen and now I just don't think anything will. 

Nothing wrong with you being upset, it is understandable.

I don't know much about Trio, but if those guys left, would it really matter? Isn't Matt basically Trio?

As far as you not believing Matt would do this...I honestly don't know much about they guy, but it appears as though he has done exactly what you couldn't imagine him doing.....humans are fickle, most never live up to expectations and disappoint, and it makes a lot of sense that he'd do it.

Money talks and bullshit walks.

I hadn't really liked a Skiba song much since This Addiction and that's like seven years ago. I didn't really like many of Mark's post reunion songs either, so I was very worried about this version of Blink. I don't know what it means that they added Feldman to the team. Mark's lyrics in "Cynical"(assuming Mark wrote those) makes it seem like he's not really that happy with what he's doing either. There's not even one song on California that is sung only by Skiba. That's just sad. I would love to hear them without Feldy, but I don't know if I would like it very much considering I haven't really enjoyed any of their work in the last years. Why anyone would want this over Tom is crazy to me. 

The San Diego bridge and Teenage Satellites sound very Matt though and I like those. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ghent said:

And there are literally thousands of people who didn't know about Alkaline Trio that are going to be checking them out now when blink slows down and Matt goes back.

I will be buying their next record when I wouldn't have given two shits about it before.

This is actually a very valid point, this is actually a blessing in disguise for Dan/Derek. The next Alk3 tour/album will have much more exposure simply because Matt went to Blink. Matt's gained over 100k followers since he joined Blink. So this will essentially help them all out financially in the long run IMO. (Which I know isn't the reason Alk3 fans are sad, but it's probably why Dan/Derek are supposedly jealous.)

4 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

I don't know much about Trio, but if those guys left, would it really matter? Isn't Matt basically Trio?

As far as you not believing Matt would do this...I honestly don't know much about they guy, but it appears as though he has done exactly what you couldn't imagine him doing.....humans are fickle, most never live up to expectations and disappoint, and it makes a lot of sense that he'd do it.

I feel like Dan doing Trio without Matt would be like Mark doing Blink without Tom. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cousin Ghent said:

It's the fucking gossip columns on this board lately. We should rename this board Hen's Nest Online.

Should we make a poll about this rename?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

humans are fickle, most never live up to expectations and disappoint, and it makes a lot of sense that he'd do it.

You act like he murdered his best friend for $45 and a pack of smokes.

He's a musician that joined a bigger band when given the opportunity. This occurred when his other band was stuck in a rut and inactive. The decision will help the other band in the long run.

The dude lives in an apartment and showed off buying a Prius once the blink money started coming in. It's so shitty to act like he's some kind of terrible person for this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

No, it's not. When you hear Matt's demos, for example, and then how those were developed into full songs on albums like This Addiction and My Shame is True with the rest of the band, you can clearly see how the band works together. In every AK3 album, also, you can hear there are just Matt/Dan songs, aside from more collaborative efforts of the three of them (not gonna make a list here, because is boring). Moreover, songs as "All In Black", which people tend to think was only Skiba, were written originally by Derek -who has written a very bumch of parts on the albums since he joined, and not only his drum parts-, as Matt has said himself.

So, yep, Alkaline Trio is a pretty functional band in that sense. They have said several times that when they are set to write an album, they just start bouncing ideas by mail to each other, so they can mess with them or just hear them before meeting and, maybe, get soe other fresher ideas too, but in the end, they end up writing the stuff together bringin their stuff to the table when they meet.

If you take, for example, the first Sekrets album and compare it to Alkaline Trio, it's pretty noticeable that there's something missing: Dan and Derek songwriting.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

You act like he murdered his best friend for $45 and a pack of smokes.

He's a musician that joined a bigger band when given the opportunity. This occurred when his other band was stuck in a rut and inactive. The decision will help the other band in the long run.

The dude lives in an apartment and showed off buying a Prius once the blink money started coming in. It's so shitty to act like he's some kind of terrible person for this.

You are creating fake drama.

I said from the start that I don't judge him negatively for this, I made fairly clear that anyone would do it. Did you even read my posts laying out why it makes perfect sense?

Above I am responding to Kay who seems like Matt has disappointed her, I am simply saying that humans in general tend to do such things.

You are trying to create an argument that doesn't exist with me. Nice try.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Nope. it's basically like how blink was Mark / Tom and you know, favouring various drummers. although Derek has been with Trio for quite some time now, musically the records are roughly an even split between Matt and Dan songs. for some reason Dans songs are rarely the single choice (only one I can think of is I Pessimist, but he trades vocals with the guy from Rise Against) but on the record its practically down the middle. 

I can't see them replacing Skiba though. I think they'd be more likely to throw the towel in and continue with other projects.

but I still firmly don't think he's the type to do it for money. I find all of this suspicious but I just can't picture it. 

• Like 1