Neighbourhoods vs California Round 3

Scott.

Neighbourhoods vs California Round 3  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Up All Night or She's Out Of Her Mind

• Up All Night
    • She's Out Of Her Mind

3 minutes ago, Kay said:

I still maintain (and will bring up constantly) that this cover of Up All Night is infinitely better than the original - 

Sounds like a California version which you hate??

except it has actual guitar parts, piano parts, isnt massively over compressed, has decent bass parts, is actually fun? I much prefer the melodic choices. it's just a funner version of Up All Night - I don't hate pop punk, or poppy pop punk, but the way its done on California (from dudes in their 40s) is cringey / awful to listen to. I'm not saying I think all of neighborhoods should sound like that, or that blink should have done Up All Night that way - I just prefer it. 

Also Keezy is a lovely guy. spoken to him a lot, he's ridiculously talented too - his solo album was my favourite record the year it came out. 

That cover does sound surprisingly a lot like California. 

I don't think "She's Out of Her Mind" sounds like All Time Low shit at all. It's not the best song ever, but it's quite enjoyable. I'd say it's one of the highlights of California in that regard.

1 minute ago, Scott. said:

Doesn't he make any money then Kay? I like one of his songs. Can't remember what it's called

I doubt it, he was doing all this whilst in college, not sure what he's doing now. the solo song on that channel is called "Power lines" that everyone loved but his solo record isn't punky at all it's straight up pop music with some soul and other stuff thrown in. it's honestly amazing but its not for everyone. I mostly just love that he wrote and performed every single instrument on it as well as self produced it, considering its him and him alone it sounds amazing. 

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

I am saying it's good too! My theory is people needed literal instant gratification from the first post-reunion Blink song so they got frustrated by the weird intro and it ruined the song for them forever haha. But I think the weird intro and structure are cool and unique in the Blink catalog and I just like the song overall.

It's my number one most played Blink song of all time I guess. Overplayed it massively when it came out. The back and forth between Mark and Tom was awesome and I like the lyrics. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Osgod said:

It's my number one most played Blink song of all time I guess. Overplayed it massively when it came out. The back and forth between Mark and Tom was awesome and I like the lyrics. 

Yeah I just had the biggest stupid grin on my face listening to it like 20 times straight when it came out haha

• Like 3

remember freaking out when a shitty low quality 30 second preview of UAN leaked the night before, listening to that more times than I care to admit, and showing it to my brother excitedly who used to like blink (but i think by that point he didn't care lol)

I think SOOHM is a more cohesive song, the verses and chorus in UAN always felt clunky when put next to this 2003, self-titled/BCR styled riff, and i've never personally liked the breakdown at the end.

also, the intros of both songs. listening to the first few seconds of SOOHM, i thought "ah its kinda' like Mutt and First Date had a baby". listening to the first few seconds of UAN, i was like "wtf what??" before the riff kicked off

its hard to say which i think is the better song on its own merits, but i will say i experienced a lot more emotions listening to UAN the first time than i did SOOHM, so UAN it is.

21 minutes ago, Osgod said:

SOOHM is one of the worst music videos I can think of. Just a lame and generic copy. 

That video really could've been brilliant if it was done right. Can't remember who it was, but someone on these boards suggested like an opposite idea of the What's My Age Again video. Blink would be the ones in the clothes, whilst the world around them are naked or something. So the video would've had the exact same scenes almost. But I would've liked that idea.

One of the worst things since the reunion has been the videos. I preferred it when blink were the "stars" of the videos rather than bringing in other actors/actresses to play the main roles. Two of the only times blink videos have worked when they're just performing the music only are Feeling This and I Miss You IMO.

• Like 1