Scott.

Neighbourhoods vs California Round 5  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Snake Charmer vs Sober

• Snake Charmer
    • Sober

12 minutes ago, Ghent said:

huh?

If one of the best songs on California can't beat one of the worst song on Neighborhoods, then it will obviously be a clean sweep for Neighborhoods. That's all I was saying.

It sounded like you think we all vote for Neighborhoods because we "hate" Cali. 

Embarassed to admit this but Snake Charmer is one of my faves from Neighborhoods. its got some goddamn cringe I won't lie, but I just love it, especially the chorus and the weird outro and the drums on the bridge are pretty grand. some dumbass lyrics and Tom sounds like a spanner but I love it regardless.

Sober is if blink was written by Pharrell Williams, as far as I'm concerned. total wankfest. Obvious choice for me.

• Like 3

snake charmer is a boss. the bridge sounds awesome, a perfect example of how you shoud fit "ohhh ohhh's" in a song, it has a desperate feeling to it and sounds really natural, flawless, dark and overall great vibe - one of the best blink songs, all kinds of progressive material. what does sober has to offer? nananas and generic sound, drums are cool though.

I like Snake Charmer, I found that song haunting. That insanely famous and recycled riff is great, but yeah... overused by Tom. Lyrics are a different thing. I think is a very interesting effort, with all the different parts, which feels much less frankensteined as others on that record.

It's weird because Neighborhodds has very good and kind of uplifting melodies, but just backed up with not uplifting music in the background, which ends up showing a twisted tone for the song. That creates a haunting effect on me. The chorus in this song is the perfect example.

I mean I know this sounds crazy, but as I said in other post, this kind of songs and this album, overall, just portraits that very weird moment in blink's history. A band trying to be what it was, trying to provide a positive effort, but with a very twisted and bitter background going on.

• Like 1

man, how in the fuck Sober is an instant classic. it's unbelievable how low you can drop a standard for blink. sure, without Tom there are no chances to keep that standard, but we are all know what Mark and Travis are capable of - a hundred times better than Sober. it sucks that they took a super generic direction with Feldmann, can't do nothing about. 

• Like 2

Holy crap this is surprisingly close. I knew lots of people loved Sober and expected this round to break the neighborhoods winning streak easily but snake charmer is doing surprisingly well. I'm glad, but surprised. 

57 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

i'm not a big fan of snake charmer. it has this eastern/arabic feel, which makes it interesting, but i can't say i like it. it's not blink for me. sober is an instant classic. an easy, straightforward powerpop tune.

What!?

Was close but I voted for Snake Charmer in the end. It's the overall better song for me. 

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

i'm not a big fan of snake charmer. it has this eastern/arabic feel, which makes it interesting, but i can't say i like it. it's not blink for me. sober is an instant classic. an easy, straightforward powerpop tune.

The Arabic feel is a big part of why I can't stand the song, besides the cringe lyrics.  It has such a good possibility for an awesome hook too, "good girls like to sin" but the rest of the song is just bad.