_Kyle_

United Airlines

Nasa    1102

It's wild how much this story blew up. I feel sorry for the man. At least United Airlines is being held accountable by all this public shaming.

• Like 1

_Kyle_    6360

Yeah, whenever PR disaster arise, I'm always intrigued.

I myself would of just gotten off the plane, but it's utterly insane how it all went down. I'm sure this guy will never have to work again...

Patient #48273    2726

The gate agents fucked up big time. You don't let people onto an overbooked flight until you've sorted out who's being bumped. They should have just offered more and more money to a volunteer until someone eventually took them up on it.

• Like 2

Nasa    1102
4 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Where are United airlines from? Never heard of them

American airline, headquarters based in Chicago 

JarJarBlinks    1085

Dude should have gotten off the plane when he was asked, and the airlines should have called the police to remove him instead of two numbskull airline workers.  

Security and planes is obviously a touchy subject. Should have just gotten off and then bitched the airline out after the fact.  

Kay    4599

If he actually was a doctor and had some sort of urgent issue to attend to, I don't blame him for refusing. ultimately bashing someones head in to the point of bleeding trying to pull them off the plane is downright nuts. 

and yeah - it should have been handled at the gate, letting people on to then pull them off is insane, especially since the cap is aparently 1300 for how much you can offer people for their seat, and they only went up to 800 before allowing people on and then booting them off. people might have easily done it for the more money.

• Like 1

Clarke    1365

United Airline's response to Pepsi: "hold my beer"

• Like 1

Clarke    1365

In all seriousness, it's misguided to make it out that the passenger was in the wrong here in any way, shape, or form.  I kind of want to call United Airlines and chew out their upper management 

• Like 1

Olidamus    5182

It was only a matter of time till this happened............the airline industry is shit, total shit, and they treat people like shit as well.

Kind of a grey area on what rights he had. If you buy a ticket to be on a plane, I'd say the company can exercise the right to have you removed for any reason (with refund). Even though it is a ticketed spot, it is still private property owned by the company. Just like buying a ticket to a concert.  If you resist leaving, they can call the cops, if you resist the cops, they can place you under arrest, if you resist arrest, you can get a bloody face in the process of being put into compliance of the arrest.

The problem here is, it wasn't cops that got him off the plane. So basically he can sue the living shit out of them.

Patient #48273    2726

Regardless of what rights United might have had in that situation, it was a disastrous move from a PR perspective. Even if they had had to pay a volunteer a couple or few thousand dollars to agree to a later flight, it would have cost them much less in the long run.

• Like 1

JarJarBlinks    1085

Supposedly 3 people had already taken the voucher, and the Doctor had agreed to be the fourth, then he changed his mind after the fact.  Not sure why the airline didn't just pick someone else and move on, but the guy isn't a completely innocent victim here. 

Seems to me like everyone acted poorly.

Olidamus    5182

Oh I agree and I am certainly not saying the guy deserved this at all, I am just saying from a legal perspective. Although I will say the guy seemed to be a bit of a nutcase, if he is a doctor, I wouldn't want him operating on me.

As far as PR, it is a disaster, but a lot of times these big airline companies think they can get away with stuff. A lot of passenger conveniences have been done away with. I remember about 10 years ago when airlines kept passengers waiting on the runway for something like 10 hours and it was kind of like "deal with it". You definitely give up a lot of civil liberties on flights.

My personal airline story was the time there was a mechanical issue with the plane prior to departing the gate, they made everyone deplane but told us to leave our belongings because "it would only be 5 minutes", then a thunderstorm hit and due to the "danger" no one could get back on the plane, now separated from baggage for about 3 hours people started to go a little insane, one woman needed her meds. It got heated and the airline response was "Sit the fuck down and shut up or the cops will come and take you away".

It is certainly a violation of rights IMO.

Speedo    5133

Lady should have packed her meds with her or kept some spares. That was stupid of her. They aren't going to endanger employees because she's an idiot. That wasn't a rights violation that's just not allowing another person to hang out in or around a giant conductor during a storm because some old hag lost the ability of forethought.

• Like 1

Olidamus    5182
1 hour ago, MSandt said:

The guy had it coming. Don't understand what the fuss is all about.

He has a huge payday coming....thats about it.

The fuss is they beat the crap out of a paying customer because of their fuck up (over booking flights).

I imagine nothing will come of this, but I hope that one day the airlines get totally fucked by passengers financially to the point where they have better customer service.

Do you not understand what a royal cluster fuck airports are? I guess you don't fly.