Can't Get You More Pregnant

2point5

Davey can correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Blink joke songs start more or less onstage as just a fun little bit? Like Tom would play some guitar on the spot and Mark would improvise? I think the early version of "Shit, piss....." is in rap form, you can see it in UC1. They also use to insert little lines in the middle of songs.

That was when I felt it was natural and fun.

A unfunny Feldman polished turd as a stand lone release is just embarrassing to be honest.

• Like 3

I think no one should base the deluxe off of this, you can't, it's just a 30 second joke. The fact that they keep feeling the need to do full on properly recorded 30 second joke songs is odd especially as they arent funny but apart from that, you should judge your enthusiasm for the deluxe on Misery and Parking Lot. 

Personally I'd be amazed if they could disappoint me further, so bring on the other tracks!

I really don't like the guitar in this, the picky riff in the first bit of the verse is decent but that's about it for me.

Misery actually got me excited a bit when I listened to it but then you hear crap like this and it makes it all a bit mehhhhh, the fact Mark thinks this is what people want is a bit sad. If you're going to do a joke then at least make it funny.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

I can't figure out if it is Mark or Feldman wanting to try and basically be a nostalgia act without growing and changing. It's weird how Mark can do something like Plus 44 after the Blink split, which felt very honest and now he is doing this stuff 10 years later.

I feel like Mark might've been open to the idea of trying something new with blink or at least not being a nostalgia act, especially after Tom left and Skiba came on and he was pumped to just make music again. But Feldmann persuaded him to go the opposite way. Not pushed, but persuaded, because Mark is clearly not reluctant about what the band is doing nowadays. But Mark is insecure and above all he just wants to be popular again, so it probably didn't take much to persuade him to make an attempt at returning to the sound of their prime. 

Yeah, I think Feldman is a controller and Mark is easily controlled.

The material pre Feldman was all scrapped and to me that reeks of control, any song not written under Feldman, doesn't really belong on an album produced by him. MAYBE it was all shit, but I find that hard to believe given Matt and Mark putting their heads together. I think Feldman kind of convinced Mark it was shit. "Hey yo, I am a producer and yeh I listened and, nah, come to my studio and we will do this together".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Yeah, I think Feldman is a controller and Mark is easily controlled.

The material pre Feldman was all scrapped and to me that reeks of control, any song not written under Feldman, doesn't really belong on an album produced by him. MAYBE it was all shit, but I find that hard to believe given Matt and Mark putting their heads together. I think Feldman kind of convinced Mark it was shit. "Hey yo, I am a producer and yeh I listened and, nah, come to my studio and we will do this together".

Mark might not come up with lots and lots of songs at once...and it takes him some time...but atleast it was always interesting.

Hey, I'm Sorry was one of the first things they recorded and while you can hear the Feldman Cali sound during the chorus....it sounds wonderful in the verses

Those verses are the best part of the whole record and they scrapped that sound completely after the song was done....no traces of that on other cali songs. 

That piano part with his deep voice gets me everytime

:(

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jordidanen95 said:

Its cool and all but yeah nothing special at all....very obvious typical poppunk riff. Doesn't stand out or anything.

i guess the lack of riffs elsewhere throughout the album mean people will take anything. not that they're a necessity (Don't Leave Me and Aliens Exist, two great songs with no riff) but what i wouldn't do for another Dumpweed style riff that punches your shit up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

I can't figure out if it is Mark or Feldman wanting to try and basically be a nostalgia act without growing and changing. It's weird how Mark can do something like Plus 44 after the Blink split, which felt very honest and now he is doing this stuff 10 years later.

Classic case of:

Mark hitting his 30s: shit happens and he's maturing a lot during his 30s. (Self-titled/+44/some neighborhood stuff he wrote around 2009 and 2010.

Mark in his mid-40s: I can still be 25 guys!

Bands and people in general tend to make the best stuff in their 30s. Still young while being more mature with new things like parenthood and stuff.

Same thing happened to a band like Bon Jovi. Generic hairspray rock in their 20s. Great fucking songwriting in the 90s when they were in their 30s.....and going back to generic autopilot sing-along songs during their 40s and 50s. No idea what people around here think of bon jovi..but their 1995 record ''These Days'' is great. 

I can even see this in the life of my parents.

24 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

The material pre Feldman was all scrapped and to me that reeks of control, any song not written under Feldman, doesn't really belong on an album produced by him. MAYBE it was all shit, but I find that hard to believe given Matt and Mark putting their heads together.

Ehh I'm not so sure, the new 311 album was partially produced by Feldmann. 17 songs total and he only produced 5. I think Mark/Trav just really like his enthusiasm, and Matt wasn't going to come in and say "No" in his position. But yeah, I wish they just would've made a new band and not tried to force any particular "sound". But I think part of Mark/Trav wanted to make sure it was radio friendly and successful.

It's not that I hate Feldmann, I just hate his techniques for Frankenstein'ing these songs together. I typically believe the music should come first, then the lyrics usually come organically based on that vibe. Mark said 99% of the songs they sat down and wrote the lyrics first, then pieced together the random instrumentals which is just so backwards IMO. It's why some of the lyrics are dumb as fuck and don't really go with the song, and also why you can't really play along on guitar to a whole song because it's all just chunked together.

It's like someone standing behind Picasso and saying "Here's an idea!", "Oh, here's an idea!", "Start with this!". Like fuck off and let Picasso do his work and if a nostril seems weird afterwards, bring it up.

2 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Davey can correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Blink joke songs start more or less onstage as just a fun little bit? Like Tom would play some guitar on the spot and Mark would improvise? I think the early version of "Shit, piss....." is in rap form, you can see it in UC1. They also use to insert little lines in the middle of songs.

That was when I felt it was natural and fun.

A unfunny Feldman polished turd as a stand lone release is just embarrassing to be honest.

as i remember mark told this "i can't get you more pregnant" story in his show (or in an interview) about his wife who was annoyed at everything when she was pregnant, and oh-you-stupid mark thought this line would work against her, but it just fueled the fire... so the idea definitely had old roots.

well, it's not really funny, and probably inexplicable to most listeners.

I also think that mark doesn't care that the music isn't that deep or whatever. He has proven himself enough with +44 alone.

Look, he is 45...he'll be 50 in 5 years and we all know how fast time goes.

The last fun blink record was TOYPAJ in 2001 (16 damn years ago)

He knows that this music style gets harder and harder to pull off the older he gets. He just wants to have fun with it all. I do have problems with cali's lyrical content. But i truly believe this is one of the reasons. It's still semi acceptable at 45. I just hope i'm right and hope we don't get stuff like this when he's 52 or whatever.

• Like 1

I think Mark had some type of breakdown of his own after Plus 44. I don't know what he expected with the group, if he expected it to be Blink 182 famous or something? But he obviously wasn't satisfied with the response it got and seems like he kind of left music and sank into a "I suck at this" mindset that hasn't left since.

Its a shame really because like Tom he isn't really the person he was when Blink was in its prime. His confidence is gone.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

as i remember mark told this "i can't get you more pregnant" story in his show (or in an interview) about his wife who was annoyed at everything when she was pregnant, and oh-you-stupid mark thought this line would work against her, but it just fueled the fire... so the idea definitely had old roots.

well, it's not really funny, and probably inexplicable to most listeners.

(I know I'm making too big of a deal about this but Blink's funniness is important ok! haha)

Hmmm if that's the story and it came as a quip/comeback from his wife, that's funnier and should have been in the song haha. It could've been a clearer setup/punchline of a song like:

"I said 'I can't get you more pregnant'
She said 'just in case, go take care of yourself'"