Neighbourhoods vs California Round 6

Scott.

Neighbourhoods vs California Round 6  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What's better?

• HAG
    • No Future

HAG suffers a ton from the bad production/guitar tone of Neighborhoods and it's so obvious Mark had to write and record it without help or input.  Feels bland, but I always really liked the chorus and the lyrics.

The verses and bridge of No Future are epic and Skiba kills it, but I could never fully get into the chorus.  The guitar rhythm and vocal melodies just annoy me sometimes.  Still the worst offending Nanas of Cali to me also.

Hmmmm.

I'm going Heart's All Gone.

damn...you know....the bridges are the best parts of these songs.

I like the chords in both bridges (actually the same progression)

Gotta go with No Future. Skiba kills it on the bridge. One of my favorite parts on Cali.

I cross bridges with my bike almost every week. I just like them

• Like 1

I chose HAG but it was very close. HAG is definitely not one of my favourites from Neighborhoods but I've always loved the lyrics and the chorus is great and it's so obviously Anti-Tom that I appreciate the honesty of it. Its one of the most notably "hey neighborhoods was frankensteined" songs on the record because Tom is just not present and the guitar work is so simplistic it almost hurts, but it's a good fast screw you song and sometimes I need that.

No Future is one of the higher tier california tracks for me, but I have so many issues with it that I can't just enjoy it for what it is. Unlike most skiba / alk3 fans here I actually hate the bridge. so much potential but the lyrics are totally stupid and his voice crack just irritates me and it goes on too long. the na na nas drive me up the wall, a lot of the production choices irritate the crap out of me, and it's just a shame - it could have been a great song but the Feldmann effect totally destroys it. 

So I voted HAG but it was a difficult choice. 

so far I've gone Cynical / Natives / Up All Night / Los Angeles / Snake Charmer / HAG

so 4 for neighborhoods, 2 for Cali. 

I'm going HAG. I think there's more honesty in the lyrics and I dig the drums. It's not Stockholm Syndrome or Lycanthrope and sure, it feels like that slightly disappointing third movie in almost every trilogy...but still.

Honestly if No Future was up against anything even slightly weaker from Neighborhoods my vote would've been swayed. The problem for me is, yes, it's a shallow, sugary pop-punk song which the rest of the Cali album is full of in spades. It's just the best result out of all the shallow, sugary attempts on the album. Though the nanana's felt tacked on and I'm not a fan of Matt's voice in some parts. I would've been OK with this being the second single and it would've been fun to hear live. Still. Doesn't hold a candle to vintage blink.

Neighborhoods has swept 6-0 for me. However I always thought the first 10 songs were making up a good album. It's the end when LID and MH etc come on the album feels more and more uneven.

Really hoping Left Alone isn't up against This is Home. I know both songs aren't universally loved but I always liked them.

13 hours ago, NotNow said:

I saw a story this week that he's facing fifteen years in prison for tax evasion. Apparently he didn't pay any taxes on any of the money he made from jersey shore.

Wow, damn. What a situation.....

I'll see myself out.

• Like 1