AVA Album Rankings

Given there's not much to discuss AVA wise I'm curious about fans album rankings and favorite tracks. 

1) Love pt 1 - I feel most people would disagree with this. I love this album though especially Flight of Apollo, Young London, Clever Love and Some Origins of Fire (Some Origins of Fire is my all time favorite AVA song)

2) Dream Walker - Paralyzed, Tunnels, Anomaly

3) We Don't Need to Whisper - The Adventure, Distraction, Valkyrie Missile 

4) I-Empire - Sirens, Secret Crowds, Lifeline, Heaven (Heaven is a close second after Some Origins of Fire)

5) Chasing Shadows - Like every song on this album, especially Voyager

6) Love pt.2 -  Dry Your Eyes, Inertia (Snake Charmer original?), One Last Thing

7) ... Of Nightmares - Pure Garbage 

I always claim WDNTW as my favorite but I think I-Empire is probably the actual best. So, with that in mind, here's my ranking:

1. I-Empire
Call to Arms
Star of Bethlehem / True Love
Heaven

2. We Don't Need To Whisper
Start the Machine
Valkyrie Missile
Do It For Me Now

3. The Dream Walker
Anomaly
Kiss With a Spell
The Wolfpack

4. Love pt 2
Behold a Pale Horse
Anxiety
Saturday Love

5. Love
Hallucinations
The Flight of Apollo
Letters to God pt 2

Not gonna rank the EPs. I love the song Diary from Stomping the Phantom Break Pedal. I like 2/4 songs on each of the other EPs (Into the Night: Home, Parasomnia. Chasing Shadows: Overload, Chasing Shadows).

Start the Machine is likely my favorite Angels & Airwaves song of all time.

• Like 1

Dream Walker

Of Nightmares

Chasing Shadows

Phantom Break Pedal

Love pt II

Love 1

WDNTW

I Empire

-----------------------------

You can basically ignore everything after chasing shadows cuz I massively dislike old AVA but technically thats the order I dislike them in. I like parts of Love pt II even though its fucking awful, Love 1 I dont remotely remember so I'm assuming its better than the other two which I absolutely detest with a violent passion. basically Ilan made AVA bearable. 

• Like 1

1. The Dream Walker

Was torn between the Dream Walker & WDNTW. I think I appreciate TDW songs way more (aside from Tremors, that's just generic AVA). WDNTW has some songs I don't like listening to such as Distraction, Do It For Me Now (first 2-3 minutes are great but then just drags) but also a lot of songs where half of is great, but the other half is boring or just shit IMO. I don't get bored of the Dream Walker. As for Chasing Shadows, I love every song really, but it's 4 tracks, so I can't really list it. Ideally it would be first or second though.

2. We Don't Need to Whisper

3. I-Empire

4. Love Part II (I actually go out of my way to listen to like 3-4 tracks from this album)

5. Love Part 1 (Only one song I truly love, Some Origins of Fire)

I'll make a list of my favourite EPs in order.

1. Chasing Shadows (It's the only EP I love from AVA really)

2. ...Of Nightmares

3. Phantom Break Pedal (Always enjoyed the Saturday Love remix on this. Diary is pretty great I think too, but I found this EP very pointless)

it should be said at first that i really hate AVA lol. that said, there's a handful of tunes, mainly from the first and most recent album, that i enjoy.

1. WDNTW -- i like the stuff that coulda been blink songs, like it hurts, the war, and the adventure. i also have a soft spot for do it for me now and start the machine. the rest, though, is pretty bad ("I think i like today...").
  2. dream walker -- dream walker was better than it had any right to be. i love the wolfpack and i think a lot of songs on that album are really interesting musically, and owe a lot to ilan
  3. i-empire -- this is where i fall off. i don't even really care about this album
  4. love -- i'm not even ranking the two parts because listening to them was such a chore for me that i don't remember which was which

1. love 2 (it's not over, saturday love)
  2. love 1 (shove)
  3. wdntw (start the machine)
  4. i-empire (breathe)
  5. tdw/cs/on (anomaly)

now as i went through on these albums, i figured out that i only like 1-2 songs per album. on the better albums there are some more listenable tracks, but on tdw, chasing shadows and of nightmares anomaly is the only song i would listen, the rest is total crap.

6 hours ago, Boring.........Alright said:

I think probably TDW is strongest start to finish, aside from Tremors and the Disease. Replace those with Recover and The Fighting Season from the demos and that's an A+ album

It's weird that people say this, because the chorus is one of the best parts of the whole record. Those harmonies are immense. like the rest of the song yeah fair enough but the chorus is great.

The Dream Walker: Cohesive from start to finish. Interesting and fresh. Thanks to Tom taking steps back to fuse a new more garage sound with Ian....what a briliant guy. Also the production is more garage and blurry in the vocals that works well with the ''dream'' theme. 

...Of Nightmares / Chasing Shadows: Great E.P's in the vein of TDW. Both Very experimental and back to old roots.

LOVE: More alt rock and punkish influences after the terrible I-Empire. Some great instrumental moments!

LOVE II: Starts to sound boring after LOVE1. Some good songs but feels more forced than part 1.

WDNTW: Pretty good Debut record. But it didn't age as good as Self-titled or +44

I-Empire: ( I really don't get the love for this record...yet California is overproduced right..) Too Glossy + Too Self-Important + Pretentious star wars cover.

Songs are in order too:

WDNTW: Valkyrie Missile, The Adventure, The Gift

Love: The Flight of Apollo (top 3 AvA song), Hallucinations, The Moon-Atomic

The Dream Walker: Tunnels (top 3 AvA song), Tremors (repetitive as fuck but that main melody is awesome)

I-Empire: Love Like Rockets (top 3 AvA song), Call to Arms

Love 2: Saturday Love, The Revelator (much underrated), Surrender

1 hour ago, MSandt said:

Songs are in order too:

WDNTW: Valkyrie Missile, The Adventure, The Gift

Love: The Flight of Apollo (top 3 AvA song), Hallucinations, The Moon-Atomic

The Dream Walker: Tunnels (top 3 AvA song), Tremors (repetitive as fuck but that main melody is awesome)

I-Empire: Love Like Rockets (top 3 AvA song), Call to Arms

Love 2: Saturday Love, The Revelator (much underrated), Surrender

Really, tunnels? I hate that song so much. 

Tunnels is great musically, it's clumsy lyrics that ruin it. His vocals aren't the worst on it, if you accept Toms weird direction vocally of the last few years. 

Many AvA songs fall flat in the chorus. Tunnels has a very powerful chorus. Bad lyrics are a given in any AvA song (and you can barely even make out what Tom sings so it's less offensive) so it's not a reason to dislike this song in particular.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MSandt said:

Many AvA songs fall flat in the chorus. Tunnels has a very powerful chorus. Bad lyrics are a given in any AvA song (and you can barely even make out what Tom sings so it's less offensive) so it's not a reason to dislike this song in particular.

I actually agree with you. has that ever happened? High five!