Neighbourhoods vs California Round 10

Scott.

What's better?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What's better?

• MH 4.18.2011
    • Left alone

left alone has always been kinda forgettable to me... it's in that section of the album where all the songs sound the same until about san diego. i appreciate the synths, and its lyrics aren't as mind-numblingly dumb as some of its counterparts. and of course, it suffers from the same whoa-oh BS as the rest of it. 

mh 4.18.2011 i LOVED when it came out, but it only seems worse with age for me for some reason. a lot of tom's songs on neighbhorhoods seem to be throwbacks or striving to fit a sound, and MH feels like that for me. it's really catchy, though the helicopter line is a bit of an eye-roller after all these years. listening to both side-to-side, i like MH more, and that's not out of a desire to place neighborhoods over california. because rabbit hole vs. love is dangerous will be such a hard one because they're both shit lmao.

so MH

• Like 1

i believe Tom never heard a MH song until the very last day. with Tom's input, like a better guitar hook, a better bridge and Tom shoulda been recorded this guitar part by himself (It's clearly Mark's playing) it could have been a decent song, cause the final version sounds like a demo. Musically, Left Alone is arguably better, but it' still boring. voted for MH anyway for a decent effort by Mark

• Like 1

I think the actual guitar parts for MH arent actually that bad, it just isnt great tonally. They're simple but fun and have some varied dynamics in places (specifically the intro) and would have been great if the distortion didnt sound like it was ploughed through a potato. 

is this the first time California's won?

i voted for MH. Left Alones alright (don't love it as much as many others seem too), particularly like the "break me down" part of the chorus and the bridge, but MH's chorus tops both of those for me, even if the rest of the songs a bit meh

MH is just the most generic bland song. It's not bad per say, it's just there with nothing really catchy to it and the lyrics don't make any sense lol. I don't like the left alone chorus, but love the bass line and the effect on it. So this is my third California vote.

Left Alone is one of the best on Cali for me, even though the lyrics are pretty bland and of course it has the unnecessary/constant back and forth vocals. But yeah, awesome bass on the verses, huge catchy chorus. I think it's a decent attempt at more of an Untitled or Neighborhoods type of vibe, and the chorus one of the only moments on the album where Skiba taps into a Tom-like contrast really well. It was cool to read in one of the interviews that the chorus was also one of the only spots that Skiba really stepped up and took control over a song himself, so I think it bodes well for the future if he is able to put more of his style into the band.

Left Alone is good but I can't stand the bridge and outro of it. MH could've been the Neighborhoods equivalent of Here's Your Letter if Tom decided to commit to blink. For that reason alone, I choose Left Alone, the verses are way better and the chorus is what Skiba is known for. MH chorus is pretty great and catchy though.