6/8 thread (*now's a good time to check it)

Jan Backing Track

Not what I expected, but I like the song. Really like the instrumentals, along with Mark's lyrics.

Chorus is kinda lame in my opinion. I really enjoyed Matt's screams (and if they were longer to be the chorus instead) but they were muffled and I'm not even sure what the lyrics are supposed to mean - "Give me some fucking personality. This song needs some fucking personality." - I have no idea what that means other than making a deep meaning saying it's about Matt and his placement in the band, but I don't know. I'm not sure how I feel about the vocal delivery in the verses, it sounds rushed to fit all the lines.

My favorite part of the song is the spoken word bridge. I didn't expect that at all but lately blink-182 is making the best bridges out of their songs.

Overall, it's a great song. No Na's/Woah's, no BS. I hope we have more songs with as much quality as this. I really want more of the pre-Feldmann songs, just shows how much better they are when they aren't being rushed. 

PS: This song is weird. Not as weird as Mark said it was, but it has some Crimson vibes in the intro, and Matt's screams sound like something straight out of "Maybe I'll Catch Fire", and the weirdest of all, I'm getting early-Thrice vibes.

55 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

its been made clear that "hey, im sorry" is the only one that was written pre-feldmann, and then they re-wrote and re-recorded it with feldmann. 

No it wasn't. That quote about hey I'm sorry said that hey I'm sorry was the only pre Feldmann song that made the original California album. They said there were a few songs pre feldmann that they worked on with him.

I think this song is huge for the band, because it proves they can step away from the formula they were using on most of California. It doesn't really sound anything like any of the stuff they have done with Matt/Feldman so far.

ANd its a good song, I am very happy with it. Obviously there are little faults here and there, but you can find little faults with any song, even the best ones. Those are forgotten when the core of the song is really good, and I think this one has that.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, amaaze said:

someone on reddit figured out the lyrics for the screaming parts

main theory seems to be people think matt's referring to the criticisms about him replacing tom in the band?

IMG_4903.PNG

this is very very interesting, and very self-aware. it improves the song a lot for me.

i think, with some time to listen and come back to it, this song is a step in the right direction, but still suffers from the same problems as the other songs. it's very formulaic.

I do really like the song, and I actually like the muffledness of Matts screamy vocals. if what he was saying was super clear it'd be like 'wtf is the point of this?!' but because its angry and hard to hear its oddly more powerful. 

After a few listens I feel like it's a step in the right direction and I hope they try and develop this more mature sound but it's still missing something for me.

It has his highlights for sure but I just find that Mark really struggles to write a vocal melody with really good hooks anymore. 

I still like the song but also kind of wish it was more raw sounding too, songs like this benefit with a little less polish. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

After a few listens I feel like it's a step in the right direction and I hope they try and develop this more mature sound but it's still missing something for me.

It has his highlights for sure but I just find that Mark really struggles to right a vocal melody with really good hooks anymore. 

I still like the song but also kind of wish it was more raw sounding too, songs like this benefit with a little less polish. 

this'll sound weird but would it sound better to you if it was produced like HAG? I dont think it works for HAG itself but it might for something like this. 

• Like 1